Baroon pocket dam tomorrow...

roobs

headed up to maleny and have managed to negotiate half a day's fishing with the minister for war and finance. i was just wondering if anyone had been there recently and how it was fishing. the last time i went i think it was turning over and the water looked awful so it would be good to hear about it's current condition, and any techniques for fishing there. i'll be taking bait for spangled perch (worms and shrimp) and was wondering if they would take poppers. bass are still a pipe dream for me but if there are any spots worth a look land based it'd be appreciated.

Last couple of times I have been there I have casted or trolled up bass only meters from the bank on the Montville side so I reckon thats your best bet. Its still weedy but not as much as the Maleny side.

Its nice and full at the moment as well.

If you are only using bait i would seriously consider getting there early and putting a worm under a float with about 2 feet of line suspended under it.

Lures however are great at Baroon. Try some poppers, SX40's, Halco Laser Pro's, Halco Scorpions, Tassie Devils or Orange soft plastics. All have produced great results here.

Angus

Hey roobs

My mate and i went to the maleny side about 2 weeks ago and yes it was very weedy then. We usually have a bit of luck off the boat ramp with hardbodies, but only spangled perch were landed that day.

I'm really scepticle of baits in that lake especially if you're landbased, the tiny schooled spangled perch just destroy your bait before the bass, goldens and cods even get a look.

I reckon, get a nice harbody and go off the montville side, working around the lillies and reads.

Cheers

DAn

had a lovely time fishing on saturday- the weather was ridiculously humid and we didn't end up getting to baroon until almost two thirty. took worms and prawns and a collection of hardbodys and soft plastics. the dam was lovely and full and the water was quite warm. had a bit of fun with the spangled perch on both bait and lures- even tried a popper and had a hookup on a rapala skitterpop with a fish only a few inches longer! it was the first time i've caught a freshwater fish on a lure and sight casted for them- lots of fun even though spanglies were all that was landed. we went for a hike down obi obi creek into the no-fishing zone- it was dissapointing to find jig heads and fishing line down there- obviously someone with a little fishing knowlegdge but not much sense. thanks to all who shared some info- it was really appreciated.

not coming back mate there either dead or wild bass now after going over the wall, the dam overflowed at the worst time of the year last time around spawning time so any sexually mature fish that felt current flow would have instantly gone for it hence not many large bass left in there. I have still managed 5-10 fish a session last few trips but nothing over 35cm

Lee

Archived