Brett's Wharf - Newstead | 28 - 29th Dec.

blue_mako

Me, Timbo and Gerty met up at Brett's Wharf for a shot at a few Bream and Cod staringd at around 1:15 - 1:30pm on Thursday. We hung around the resturant rockwall for a good hour before Tim got into a little Cod around 20-25cm on an Sx40 which is average for the river. Another few casts after I get drilled by a decent fish which goes on a nice burst before throwing the hooks. Next cast I throw right on top of the last hit and bring it back. I listen to Tim about leaving it for a pause then Bang! a nice healthy Breambo around 27-28cm to the fork jumps on my SX40.

We go for a walk up towards the City Cat terminal and I land another Bream and both Tim and myself land a small Cod each. The day slowed from then on and we could only manage a few more small Cod before Gerty left.

Things started to pick up the further we walked towards Newstead and after Gerty left. We walked along Kingsford Smith Drive until we noticed a short stretch of rockwall that was easily fishable. From then on it was just about a hit every cast and a fish every 3-5. Juvenile Cod are highly aggressive fish and if they don't like the taste of a HB they'll spit it out then smack it again once it starts swimming away. Sometimes we were dropping fish after relatively long fights then casting right back in where the fish came off the hooks then hooking straight back up. That's if the fish didn't come back once we started reeling the dropped lure back in.

At times we were getting 2 fish in as many casts or even devils hatricks. None of the fish really stood out except for a few larger then average Bream at around 29cm fork length.

Total tally for day one was Troy 5 Bream 5 Cod. Tim 5 Bream 3 Cod and a Moses Perch. All fish were caught on Ecogear SX40 HB's. There should be a couple of pictures on Tim's digi for him to post up later today.

Tim stayed the night and we planned to get up for the dawn high tide but we slept right through the alarm :( . So same spot as yesterday it was. Fishing was sloooooow for the low tide and we killed a bit of time just resting on the bank and not exactly trying until around 4:30 PM when we went back to the rockwall. There wasn't as many fish as the day before but there was still a few fish there. We managed a couple of Cod and Bream when Tim went for a bit of a walk down the rock wall while I was getting my SX off a snag. He comes back not very happy saying he got snapped off by a half decent fish that felt a lot heavier then the other fish we had been getting. Yeah sure I thought :whistle: . Bye bye $17 lure.

Tim wasn't very happy then I pass a long cast 20m parallel to the bank. I got absolutely monstered by something much weightier then most of the other fish. After a few short buzzing runs I walk down the rock wall to try and gain some line on him and then after hisnumerous attempts at trying to get me in under his rocks he's finally landed. I noticed some line hanging from his gob but take no notice of it and sit down with the fish. As soon as I told Tim about the line from his gob he says as a joke hey check if there's an SX40 in it's mouth. I have a look and I'm like 'There is!'. I get a reply of 'Yeah whatevs'. I then grip his mouth with my hand and open his mouth and there it was, a Gold/Orange SX40 waaaaay down his gob along with my Green/White one. You wouldn't read about it :P . He didn't look like he was going to be in too good of a shape after release the way the hooks were lodged that far down his bucket but suprisingly the hooks came out quite easily once the plier finally reached them and he swam away with a few tail kicks after a short swim. He measured around 32cms which is still under legal but larger then average for landbased in the river. They still give you some stick on 2lb though! ;) .

At around 5:30 we walked up along a rockwall where Tim got a few the day before. Immediately Tim nails a devils hatrick once again on that same Gold/Orange SX40. I went to my tackle box and found a CK40 in extremely similar colours. CK40's are the same length as SX40's (40mm) though they are about twice as heavy, tall and fat as an SX40. I thought it would be a bit big for the Cod and Bream that were around but they still took it with gutso. On my 5th or 6th cast Bang!.... snag. I could have sworn that was a fish. After a few shakes of the rod tip hey it is a fish. Another small average sized Cod. On the last cast before leaving for a feed I see a nice 23cm fork Bream jump on the CK about 20cm from the bank for a quick tussle.

After grabbing some food we walked down a little further were I went one way Tim went the other. We both were getting hits but Tim was getting more. It's amazing how fish can miss 6 hooks on a 40mm lure :P . As soon as I ask Tim if he's got any hits, bang! another little Cod. I drop the same fish 3 times before he realised hard plastic wasn't his cup of tea.

I got my lure snagged and tied it off waiting for the Low Tide. I switched to an Attack lure and Tim and I moved around. We were getting Cod after Cod and a few Breambo's inbetween when I throw a wide cast and Whack! zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz after a good minute plus fight on 2lb main line I get a quick glimpse at a very decent Bream before he throws the hooks 1m from the bank :( . It definately would have made my PB Land Based Bream easily. But oh well that's fishing. ;) .

All up we lost count once we got over 40 fish. I think Tim got the edge on me in the last 30 mins of action while I kept dropping fish. About 25 of those were Cod and only 2 were of bigger then average size. About 15 were Bream which 1 or 2 nudging the 30cm fork mark and the one that got away :( . Also Tim got one loner small Moses Perch which isn't normally the case. Most fish were caught casting parallel to the bank at times the lure was getting taken by fish 10cm from the waters edge. Lures used were Ecogear SX40, CK40 and Aussie Attack HB's. Not a single plastic which isn't normal. I think I turn more and more to hardbodies each session!

Troy

You know in all my years of fishing I've never even seen an Eustary cod,little own caught one. Probably because most of my fishing in the Brisbane river would have been in its worst polluted days. But there seem to be plenty around these days.

Anyway sounds like you fella's had a worthwhile trip! I reckon you need to use bigger lures to catch bigger fish :silly:

Feral wrote:

You know in all my years of fishing I've never even seen an Eustary cod,little own caught one. Probably because most of my fishing in the Brisbane river would have been in its worst polluted days. But there seem to be plenty around these days.

Anyway sounds like you fella's had a worthwhile trip! I reckon you need to use bigger lures to catch bigger fish :silly:

yer worthwhile trip...except for me!! i didnt go on friday though...which was annoying

Archived