FW fish finders.....

Dazzamcgee

Maybe a dumb question but I remember reading an article some time ago about fish finders how some where more suited to freshwater fishing than saltwater fishing something to do with the water and how the sonar is sent and received.

So my question is: Does anyone know what I'm on about and or can shed some light on the subject?

Thanx

FF160C Garmin

The Fish finder 160C is an affordable colour sonar option for recreational fishermen who primarily fish freshwater lakes. Fish returns and bottom information are clearly shown on the unit’s bright 114 mm (measured diagonally) sunlight-readable colour display, making it easier for you to scope out your fishing grounds. The Fish finder operates on 200 kHz and has a higher wattage than the FF140 giving you a maximum depth of approximately 280m. Audible alarms include fish, shallow water, deep water and low battery. A temperature sensor is also standard. Like all Garmin fish finders, the 160C is rugged, waterproof, and able to stand up to the elements.

The Fish finder 160C also offers Ultrascroll™ which allows boaters to get a much faster refresh rate on their sonar display. AutoGain, as well as user adjustable gain, is also standard on all of Garmin’s new fish finders.

ok thats an idea of the type I'm asking about.

Is there really any difference between sw and fw models? or is it all just a sales pitch???

without getting into it to much, in my furuno manual it gives the same readout at the same depth, only difference being 1 in fresh and the other in salt, and the salt water shot is not as defined as the clear water shot, easy fix though. just turn the gain up a little and problem solved. it's to do with salt water being that little more dense than fresh. but in real life, i cant say as i have not used the booat in fresh. hope this helps in some way. bet your confused now. right lol, :lol: .

rob

You get a bit more depth penetration in fresh, But I doubt that to many would fish deeper than even even the weakest sounder on the market can reach.

Usually when they talk about a sounder being more suited to fresh water it would appear it is the width of the beam that makes the difference, pretty sure that Garmin should have selectable narrow or wide beam (my 140 does anyway, and that is supposed to be the next model up) The wide beam capability supposedly makes for better fresh water fishing, (covers a wider area in shallow water) personally I believe it to be the other way for the type of fishing I do, my fresh water fishing is usually at a greater depth than my salt water fishing.

Archived