Baroon Pocket AFO trip 30/12/06

Feral

Well every was arguing over who was going to write the report, I think we all decided we would bung up a title and let just add our own bit!

Well Baroon Pocket was the maiden trip for my 4.9m project boat. She was absolutely fantastic. Very stable, quite quick with the 55 electric on the back, and fished all day on the new batteries which were only down to 40% at the end of the day. You could play a game of touch football in her, heaps of room.

There were 3 of us in the boat - Brian, Ferg and myself.

Ferg and I met Brian at the montville ramp about 7ish, we launched and worked to wall just past the cabins, not a bite.

We then worked our way across the dam to the point near the other boat ramp, in behind here we caught a few bass, lost a few more.

Then we worked up the eastern arm to the little inlet with the sunken trees, we noticed the \"yakkers\" were already in their hogging the good snags, so we went to the little hole about half way up the inlet. We got 6 bass there. At this stage Ferg was cleaning up on hard bodies, I'd got one on plastics, and Brian was spending most of his time rerigging, and generally pretending to be a tackle rat!

We pulled up on the bank and had a yarn with the other fella's on the southern point of the inlet, then headed off to the deep wall a little south of there. Got onto a few more bass here, I lost my new lure Ferg had given me for christmas, a combination of drag set to high, and being \"asleep at the rod\" Basically just Wham, scream, gone!

We worked the points just north of there few a couple more Bass before going back to the picnic area for a BBQ with all the fella's. Caught my first ever fish here on a hard body lure (Brians)! Back at the picnic ground Ferg cooked the snags and bacon, and we all pigged out! Shared lunch with the scrub turkeys, kookaburra's and one large goanna.

After lunch we worked the large inlet behind the blue bouy on the eastern side of the dam. Bass everywhere, we were getting hits on every point, and often in between. Actually got 2 Bass trolling at full speed (4-5kph) that hit like steam trains! It was Brians turn to catch some fish, and he caught up with Ferg, I was still in the doldrums, catching fish, but running a poor third!Probably due to my inexperience with hard bodies, which was what was catching most of the fish.

Then Ferg says - look at the snake! we all look and here is this 3 foot snake swimming towards the boat. We all crane over the side to have a look, when the rotten thing climbs straight over the transom and into the boat!

So I am doing my imitation of a ballet dancer on top of the seat with it heading for the floor boards, with visions of the snake under the floor boards and us all in the water, (would you stasy in a boat with a snake under the floor boards?) I bravely grabbed Brians rod (hey not going to use my own!) gave it a big swing, hooked it underneath the snake and gave it the flick! I reckon I should take up golf. The snake landed about 20 foot away, and we both retired to nuetral corners!

After that it was getting latish so we worked our way back to the ramp. All in all a bl@@dy fantastic day, had a lot of fun, and we landed more than 20 Bass between us (we well and truly lost count, and one stage a triple hook up, quite a few doubles), and quite a few spangled perch as well. We were not even bothering to take photo's towards the end.

Most of the Bass were on the small side, largest boated was about 35cm. We caught Bass on Plastics, Spinner Baits, but mostly hard bodies.

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2006/12/31 04:16

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2006/12/31 04:59

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived