AFO Bass'in Social - 28th Feb - 1st March

Angus

This thread is to discuss the upcoming AFO Bassin Social.

Members of Brisbane Fishing Online are invited to come for this opportunity to fish Hinze Dam in good company! Cabin accommodation will be provided at the Environmental centre and the event is fully catered (BYO a few drinks) ...details will be emailed to registered participants.

Hinze Dam is stocked with Australian bass, yellowbelly, silver perch, saratoga and Mary River cod.

All equipment, including boat hire is included. You are welcome to use your own equipment/boat if desired.

Includes fishing permit...please advise if you hold a yearly permit and don't require one for the weekend.

Live shrimp will be provided. Fish can be recorded on Saturday by using shrimp or lures. Only lure caught fish will be recorded on Sunday morning.

Live shrimp will be provided on Sunday morning for those not willing to compete for prizes.

Emphasis is on relaxation and enjoyment of the sport, with some great prizes to be collected.

Informal workshops will be conducted throughout the weekend.

You need to bring the following:

* Sheets/blankets (sleeping bag) & pillow...bottom fitted single sheet is also recommended.

* Towel

* Toiletries

* Torch

* Wet-weather gear

* Beer (or scotch :P ).

Weekend commences 7am Saturday and concludes 12:00pm Sunday.

Aggenda:

Saturday 28 February

7:00am: Briefing at campsite.

8:00 Fishing commences.

1:00pm Lunch - BBQ lunch will be served on the water.

6:00pm Day 1 Fishing concludes.

7:30 Dinner

Sunday 1 March

5:30am Breakfast.

6:30 Fishing.

11:30 Day 2 fishing concludes / Pack up

12:00pm Prize Presentations.

Cost:

* $180pp

* $130pp (if using own boat)

Prize Categories

* Longest first day bass - TBA

* Overall Longest combined bass from Sat/Sun - TBA

* Longest Yellowbelly - TBA

* Longest Silver Perch - TBA

* Longest Mary River Cod - TBA

* Longest Catfish - TBA

*Any prize category not won will go back to the next longest overall combined bass total from Sat/Sun.

To register please email to both sportstuition@optusnet.com.au and angus@australianfishing.com.au

Full Name:

AFO Username:

Mobile Number:

Email Address:

Boater or Non Boater Package: (Kayaks are accepted).

Fishing Gear required or not required:

I look forward to seeing some of you there.

With some exciting new sponsors coming on board the prizes will be great this round.

Cheers

Angus

Attendees:

Angus Gorrie (Angus)

Tanya Gorrie (Tanya) - Canoe 1

Romy Poulier - ?

Siobhan Aland - ?

Amelia Gorrie (Meya) - ?

Steve Wilkes (Sports)

Ellen Wren (Ellen)- Canoe 1

Natalie Long (njlong) - ?

James Wahry (jimmybob) - ?

Anelise Price (mrsjimmybob) - ?

Jake Walker (reef_raider) - Boat 1

Brad Bell (Brado) - Boat 1

Brian Dawson (Brian D) - Own Boat

Henry Do (Do$tylz) - Boat 1

Daniel Gold - ?

Tony Conlon - ?

Jeff Flynn (Jeff F) - Own Boat

Ben Evans (Doobsey) - Own Boat

Kris Sweres - Own Boat

Garry Oster (Gazza) - Own Boat

John Barclay - Canoe 2

Nick Barclay - Canoe 2

Jamie Lennox (Brisbanebound) - Canoe 3

Neil Holliday (Doc) - Canoe 3

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

mKs wrote:

Yeah is this held at?

Is it a comp with prizes?

Is it a meet and great?

Cost?

(cant search, internet a bit to slow.)

thanks matt.

Oh and when?

MKS sorry mate its slow for me at the moment as well.

All details now posted on front page and in the first post of this thread.

We have talked to Shimano for sponsorship so will most likely be getting some of their goods as well as AFO stuff, Live Fibre, Viking and other regular sponsors.

Angus

I also forgot to mention, we will most likely launch at the Western Arm for allow for more space for trailers etc.

But we will all meet at the cabins first to get briefed etc.

So the launch location doesnt need to be confirmed until then.

Cheers.

Angus

kiwifisho wrote:

noname wrote:
can this place be fished at night?

are camp fires allowed?

The signs I hav seen at the ramp we usually launch at say NO night fishing so mite pay to check.Will check with her indoors Gus as its only days before Fiji but would love to come.

Dean;)

Mate just say "Hey babe, im taking you to Fiji, surely I can go fishing for 2 days" :P

Angus

mKs wrote:

Can this dam be fished LB?

With boats, they will be all eletric right (because no petrol motors on lake) Hence any age can drive it and we wont need a liceance?

Just checking.

Yeah mate. Electric tinnies and electric canoes.

Its a tough (almost impossible except for that ramps) dam to fish land based. I would certainly make the most of the boats provided. And yes any age. Steve often runs camps with primary school kids who handle them with ease so no issues there.

Itll be a good camp mate. Always a stack of fish caught and its a good dam scenery wise.

Angus

I am keen for this as I know it will be fun and I expect about 150-200 fish to be caught. It's a good time of year for Hinze (as long as the raind holds off 2 weeks before)

I am 1st to admit that I have been slack with recent events but this will suit my budget and timing so I will do my best to attend. I will confirm as soon as the minister for war, finance and recreation gives me the green light.

Only 1 small problem is Daughter is getting married the day before (yeap Friday wedding :blink: ) but that shouldn't stop me.

I won't need a boat as I will bring the cannonball and a yak, but I might need a deckie!

Malcolm wrote:

What's the cannonball Brian?

Hey mal - the Cannonball is a 395 burmuda punt with twin 54's on the back. I call it the cannonball because Feral has a tinny called the silver bullet, which is longer and more slender then my tinny. Mine is more round and fat (like it's master), hence silver bullet and the cannon ball!

No doubt about the brain power of us fishermen ay. :blink:

Davo_Dinkum wrote:

so this event would be this 1 on the events forum

(Hinze Dam Saratoga & bass comp in March.)?

or are they 2 different events

Hey mate. Yeah same one.

Based on whats been biting we opten for a Bass dominated prize pool.

However there is still a prize for Toga :)

Angus

reef_raider wrote:

how many people do the boats take? and is it possible to be guaranteed a boat over a canoe as i would feel much more comfortable fishing from a boat...

cheers, jake

At this stage its first in best dressed.

In saying that there are plenty of both left.

There are 7 tinnies which take 3-4.

And 6 Canoes which take 2.

Jake both are good and stable. I have been in the canoes most often for speed and they are stable as. You can stand up in them etc etc. They are huge canadian canie style.

The tinnies are also good :)

Angus

Brian D wrote:

Sorry Jake, I though I posted a reply, Yeah mate you can have a deckie spot on the cannonball if you want or you can grab a tinny and be your own skipper.

hey mate thanks for that... but now there will be two of us going, so unless you have room for two then we'll just pay the extra and grab a tinnie

thanks heaps for the offer though mate

Hey reefer Grab your own tinny mate, I could take 6 but I dont want too:blink: , this way I can fill a live tank with all my fish, take a bbq on board, fill an esky with refreshments, pack a mag or two, put in a couple of spare rods and some back up lures, throw in a yak and still have room for a deckie if anyone needs a spot.

Wont be there unfortunately.

I have cricket on the saturday. plus I probably vowed (last year) to never fish Hinze again.

Ignoring the fishing (which is usally good too!) The AFO events are still great, especially the socials at night! But yeah, prior commitments = no me.

ok for someone out there tossing up weather to go or not due to $$$$

i have been given use of an electric dam boat for the weekend (thanks ray) and will have a decky spot so if you want to jump in and get the cheaper price

fire me a pm and save $50 when you book your spot

I got a deckie spot availible too. So if anyone wants a ride just say so.

Jeff, if you're game and we don't both get deckies, how about you just hop in with me to save stuffing around with 2 boats.

I'll pack a yak and some lift jackets just in case we sink or capsize, I have a heli chopper on stand by and a road amblo on speed dial. :woohoo:

Mind you deckies - I think you got a better chance with Skipper Jeff then old fumble feet Chilly D, however with live shrimp we can't miss.

Archived