North Coast Whiting - 7th Feb

Angus

Good relaxed days fishing.

Headed up the coast with username_taken, boydy and another mate Garreth for a spot of whiting fishing. The intention was originally to check out a lake on a developement site at Beachmere. Its a developement site that is owned by Boydy's company and was apparantly teeming with fish. Well as luck would have it after being there for a year with no one the wiser it was drained last week. The DPI had to be there to supervise the safe relocation of the fish into the caboolture river. Thousands of fish were removed including:

Jacks

Jew

Tarpon

Trevs

Bream

Flathead

Whiting &

Queenies!

Oh well hahahaha.

Up further we went to Currimundi to have a BBQ at Boydi's place and check out the lake. After pumping some Yabbies we were straight into. I must say I massively impressed with the health of the waterway. Countless yabby holes and millions of whiting. It was good to see swarms of whiting around the 1 inch mark. Surely a good sign for future years.

All up i caught roughly 10 whiting and 3 little flatties with the other guys getting a few whiting a flatties as well.

A kid fishing near us caught THE BIGGEST whiting I have ever seen. Would have gone 40+cm easy and went from the tip of my middle finger to past my elbow. It was also very thick. I got a photo of this one but the picture doesnt do it justice.

After hearing some large flatty and jack stories from Julz I might head up this way on my yak soon with some plastics.

Oh 2 of my whiting were caught on plastic :)

Cheers

Angus

jimmybob wrote:

thats a great whiting :)

what sort of sp ya get ya whiting on gus?

Mate one on a GULP sandworm and one on a GULP shrimp.

I would not bother in the future though. The whiting rip them apart so it is essentially bait fishing anyway. With an abundant supply of yabbies at your desposal, it was purely the novelty of "getting a whiting on plastics" that led me to keep trying.

Angus

ellicat wrote:

Nice work. Whopper whiting:woohoo:

Did you keep a feed of your own whiting ? What was the av size of the one's you guys were landing ?

Most released mate.

Although I kept 2 in the high 20's. I did not have an esky so these were kindly donated to the Boyd Dinner Foundation :P

I am pretty keen to go back and a get a half dozen for dinner though. Fresh whiting = good in my books.

Angus

Archived