16/2 crosby session

wesfish

headed out to crosby lower weir and had a flick of lures and some live bait, had a mixed result with small bream , catty , flatty , spangle , barcoo? , tilapia, lungfish! i got a nice flatty of 55cm on lure, and i got the rest on bait , mainly poddy mullet and strip mullet. still it was a fun session for such a small section of river, and the amount of salt species there is great! didnt see no bullies yet but hopefully there will be the odd one in the next water hole down or further!! [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/crosby_flathead_55cm.jpg

thousandyards wrote:

great haul mate!! what did the lungfish fight like?? very odd looking creature...

i've wondered about the tilapia....is there any really distinguishing features on them?? i would mind heading up that way but just want to make sure i'm killing the right fish if i get something i think is a tilapia.....

good catch!!

yeah he jumped and thrashed around but it was a short fight with only a couple of runs, the flatty hit harder and took way more line and i was thinking i might of had a nice jack:( :P

good work mate i love catching lungfish there so fun especially when they jump ive caught a 1.5 metre at fernvale yeah the river is full of them as for tilapia never seen them arround how far up and down the river do they live? and ive heard that tilapia make fantastic eating??

jpart10 wrote:

good work mate i love catching lungfish there so fun especially when they jump ive caught a 1.5 metre at fernvale yeah the river is full of them as for tilapia never seen them arround how far up and down the river do they live? and ive heard that tilapia make fantastic eating??

have to be hard up for a feed mate...

tillapia are actually a good eating fish they just get overlooked in australia as we call themn a noxious pest so everyone think they taste bad this is completley wrong they are heavilly farmed overseas do you think theyd farm crap tasting fish i dont think so

still pity here your not allowed to take them for a feed :(

jason

i went out there today for a walk and a bit of a look about .was a few cars in the bush,they must have been off fishing somewhere there.

few tracks out there next time i go will wear shoes instead of leather flip flops.mite make the walk a bit easier.

I'm thinking of taking the 3 man blowup boat i reckon a paddle from the to collages would be fun and interesting.

but a nice peaceful spot feels like u are in the middle of nowhere.looks ok to take a dip in too:)

that was me parked in the bush , the jeep and my mate mick in the patrol, its long grass to walk through that way i usually park at the yellow gates and follow the road and track down that way , shorter walk and less long grass that way. i might be heading out tomorrow so i will show you how to get to where i fish, i got another flatty all 23cm of him , and a bream , grunter and spangle and catties again.. [img size=375]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/lil_fatty.jpg

yoyo wrote:

Mate where exactly was this ? i went up there today but couldnt get to any legal LB spots near the weir? were you maybe fishing only 399m from the weir...........? :unsure::huh:
no , its not the main weir, the main weir has 400m below no fishing zone, but about 1-1.2km below the main weir there is an old little weir no longer in action , i am fishing 51mtrs below it, there is also alot of land based spots down stream from here, just a bit of walking involved .

Ahh i see....

Tell u wot, just having a suss around direct;y below the main weir there and there is so much action there it is crazy. the cormorants were having a field day!

Went to Colleges instead flicking some lures and caught a whole lot of jack shit fish....

Coupla guys there were getting a few small bream on prawns, that's about it...

yeah i use to catch alot of bass from the main weir many years ago when it wasnt closed to fishing, its where i caught my first bass on lure and it was tagged i was 11 y/o.. they had to close it off as all the migrating bass school up there, my dad was there when they electro fished it and there was hundreds of bass, they did allow ANSA members to tag fish there but they stopped that aswell!!! pity cause its a hot spot right time of year, but it still fires for the bass down stream right time of year , just early morning or late arvo sessions the go!!

Archived