Please Help: Fish ID

Angus

Hey guys chucked this in my latest report but no go!

To me it looks like a Gudgeon or a Goby. Very similar to a Giant Goby AKA sleepy cod.

However this was caught near the mouth of a creek leading directly into the ocean!

Currimundi to be exact.

Anyway im stumped.

Any ideas?

Its tail had some nice yellow and red marking.

[img size=400]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/4-6146fdcb8e1236c26796769a2469c709.jpg

post-63-144598485787_thumb.jpg

Checked here at the QMuseum and found:

"Its a Spangled Gudgeon, Ophiocara porocephala. It grows to 32cm and according to Zoological Catalogue of Australia (2006) it gives Maryborough as the known southern limit to its range."

If you kept the fish, the guys here at the museum would appreciate the specimen as it represents a southern extension to the range of the species.

Kreel

kreel wrote:

Checked here at the QMuseum and found:

"Its a Spangled Gudgeon, Ophiocara porocephala. It grows to 32cm and according to Zoological Catalogue of Australia (2006) it gives Maryborough as the known southern limit to its range."

If you kept the fish, the guys here at the museum would appreciate the specimen as it represents a southern extension to the range of the species.

Kreel

Oh one other thing, are they typically in salt water?

Angus

Jeff tells me that they are typically found in salt water - "...in estuaries/mangrove creeks. Juveniles are sometimes found in lower freshwater reaches in N Qld".

Does the fact that I have access to smart fish guys make me sound smart? Hope that helps mate.

Cheers Baden

Archived