Crabbing and Sharking report

Oceandonkey

Well we set out Saturday about 9am to do some crabbing in the mates 6.9m boat, 8 pots in hand and dropped 2 strings. we had our bigger rods at the ready incase we saw some birds busting up the surface and if it got a bit slow a quick trip to the 4 beacons for some jigging.

After pulling out 3rd pot up we were shocked to find 3 sharks circling under out boat. all at least 5 foot, So we started feeding them some of the pillies we had and some of the mullet. they were getting into a frenzy so ofc with no shark rigs at the ready we grab like 2m of bare wire, cut it to length put one end through the hook and simply twist it back on itself.

Threw it in the water..... Shark On!!! Only to be bitten of 20 seconds later. So again, in it goes and it got taken about 1m from the boat, could see the strike and everything it was awesome...... until we got busted off again.

So we cut of 1m this time thinking hes either been swallowing it hole and 30cm of wire leader isn’t enough or his body has been breaking the 80lb braid.

Shark on and away we go after 45 minutes and 1km of travelling distance to gain line on this thing we finally had it beside the boat. Mate was tying it up to the boat so we could get a few piccies then a quick release but he tied him up to tight and he just busted us off.

Then surprise surprise guess who shows up at our boat, another couple of sharks. The bay must be crawling with them. Day went on and we ended up getting 17 legal crabs (only took 5 each for our families to feast on that night) and I got onto a 15 minute fight with another shark at the end of the day.

Again could see the strike but we were low on wire leader and I only had about 40cm on and yeah was surprised I lasted 15 minutes.

Never, ever going swimming in the bay. Will post pics tonight though I don’t have many as it was pretty intense as we had only planned to go crabbing hehe.

OD

Archived