Hobie - Pro Angler kayak

kreel

I just noticed a new Hobie Kayak and wonder what people think about it:

/>http://www.hobiecat.com.au/fishing/proangler.html#

It looks a little too much like a prototype to me, but it has some good features. The killer though is the weight - 40kg, you'd be exhausted getting to the water edge let alone paddling around in it.

I did note that the ST fins come standard on it (they should be standard on all their models), but the rudder looks diminished in the place they have it and I wonder about its usefulness.

Anyway what do you yakkers feel about it?

looks like a beast

looks comfortable with a lot of stuff on it too

looks bulky and heavy 1/2 boat / yack

oh i don't really know anything about yacks .just my opinion form the pictures

i used to have 2 surf ski's i short surf 1 and a long calm water 1.

and use to use many canoes and kayaks in scouts and boys bergrade(spelling)

the old style ones with the hole in the to sit in flat bottom and racing ones .

40kg. Hmm

That has an absolutely massive storage capacity.600lbs??

If you regularly needed that much storage, it'd be a good yak.

The idea of the front is to probably cut through the water a little better (with a flare to push the front end up on a wave) because 40kg of plastic would mean a much bigger yak and slower pedal speeds.

The position of the rudder seems to fold into the main body of the yak but I wonder if that leaves enough to be effective. They have the ST fins as standard - why not add a larger rudder with it. It just seems a little under-gunned there.

At that size of Yak...it's getting into (very)small boat territory, which at 40kgs is pretty damn light...especially given the features.

I like the angular 'edge' styling, however it's probably a case of form over function!

Rod holders and that comfy seat (long a sore-point of Hobies..pun intended) will be a winner. Front hatch is huge, and pull out tray mean you may not need a drybag upfront or bag in general to hold all your gear.

A word of warning... ST Turbo fins can break your yak if you really get stuck into it, they tear out the hull at the lockdown mounts. And the sailing rudder breaks at the pivot pins in hard use(it's a sacrifical weak point)owners who replace these plastic pins with steel or brass end up tearing the hull where the pin goes through the hull. Check out some of the posts on the Hobie Cat forum!

They're great products, but you have to go easy on them. Standard fins are like a low gear for acceleration... the turbos are more for cruising...if you try to sprint with your turbos, it'll be like trying to take off from the traffic lights in top gear...you'll break things!

Extended youtube video

/>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbr9Q36KAgc

<a  href=%7Boption%7Dhttp://thumbnails4.imagebam.com/2854/04debe28532981.gif' alt='04debe28532981.gif'>

heavy compared to other kayaks maybe. But its still only 40Kg.

Even our local midget can lift that no probs and put it on a 4wd

from what ive read on kayak sites people are always complaining of lifting kayaks onto the roof of their vehicles. I dont really see the problem. You pick it up and slide it on the roof.

Its a nice looking boat, I do wonder how much slower it will be to peddle due to its sheer size.

THis seems to be a kayak for camping/touring. You will be able to carry everything you need for a couple of days trip.

The consealed rudder is awesome. The problems with the other style is you can damage the rudder when lifting it. The concealed rudder solves this problem. And also gives you a better turning circle.

Thanx for that Terry.

I haven't tried the ST's and while they don't look much shorter than the Turbo's, forum talk is that the two are like chalk and cheese!

On a side note, I've never understood why Hobie choose to call their uprated fins ST which in normal nomenclature is short for "Standard".. and then choose again to call their turbos.."ST turbos"..i.e. Standard Turbos!?!?.. So you have Standard fins, STandard fins and STandard Turbo fins!:blink:

Archived