Boat Licence Where to get

Dasa05

archies is a the easiest way , but i disagree with his methods , as all people will pass even if they are incompetent and dont know anything , the boat accidents at pinkenba were people he gave a licence too and people died, i studied the rules for the old style of getting a licence and there was people there that were only there because their partners were getting a licence and archy asked if they want a licence and he was just seeing dollar signs and gave them a licence , plus he speaks alot of bull lol you will see when you go....

wesfish wrote:

archies is a the easiest way , but i disagree with his methods , as all people will pass even if they are incompetent and dont know anything , the boat accidents at pinkenba were people he gave a licence too and people died, i studied the rules for the old style of getting a licence and there was people there that were only there because their partners were getting a licence and archy asked if they want a licence and he was just seeing dollar signs and gave them a licence , plus he speaks alot of bull lol you will see when you go....

Mate, what you say is very true. Call me a skeptic but I think most if not all operators are this way. I think the fault lies more with QLD transport contracting boat licensing out to private operators.

Another problem is how much can you fit into a half day course? Its pretty crazy really, being able to drive pretty much any recreational power boat that can cause so much damage with so little experience. I think its so much easier to come unstuck in a boat than a car. I reckon the ease of obtaining a boat license also causes people to become very complacent when it comes to safety.

yeah half day to learn not all that safe , i drove archies boat in a straight line for 50mtrs and then i was moved over for the next person , its to much like getting a bike licence , pay the money and stay for a day and your done lol the old style you had to drive the boat and do multiple tasks to see if you could handle a boat safely then you would have to sit down and answer questions the tester would throw at you , not this multiple choice and group discussions ....

not sure how it works now but they used to make sure that u knew your sh*t.

got my boat licence 20 years ago when i was 16 was the first licence i could get.then got my car learners at 17.

but back then they used to ask u a heap of questions like when u get a car learners ,if u couldn't answer the questions that was the end of it no practical in the boat.people used to study and learn the rules and some knew cause they grew up on boats,had driven the before etc.if u where a smart ass or a di*k head no licence for u.

if u passed u got a nice peace of green paper .like a car learners back then too paper .lol i still got my bit of paper but transfered it to my plastic car licence this year when i renewed.

hmm 20 year ago makes me feel not so young :blink: i like 20 years ago things where simpler and better back then.:)

there are still good testers around wes mate across the road got a boat licence last year .a day course ,d heads and wankers fail,1/2 day theory then 1/2 day practical ,small classes and they make u teach u to multiple tasks.to make u comfortable and make sure u can handle the boat.

yeah i had to do multiple tasks when i got mine quite a few .

I did a 6 month Marine Studies (about boating and boating safety) course at school (12+ years ago) and then did my licence.

Plus I have grown up on boats and on the bay so i found the course quite easy, but you do wonder how much a person with no experience of boats or water activities can really learn and remember in a day or half day. I am amazed there are not more accidents on the water really, with so many poorly qualified/experienced people with licences and these are the same people that generally lack alot of commonsense as well.

I can still remember the ridiculous amount of times my dad went mental at all the idiots speeding past within 30m of boats at anchor/swimmers in the water or just doing stupid things on the water.

So I think the best way is to get the boating rules and safety booklet from Maritime Safety Qld, read through it and study it very well. Not for just passing a boat licence test, but for your own knowledge when you're out on the water yourself.

Then once you know that well, just book with any of the boat licencing companies, I think they're all pretty similar.

They all deliver the same course, its mandated by Qdot.

The theory is really good, I've been driving boats since I was about 10, but did not get my licence until 2 or 3 years ago. The on water test is pretty useless, but then again so is the car licence on road test!

People need to realise (and be told!) for any licence that the bit of paper does not make you 10 foot tall and bullet proof. You still have a long way to go to gain the experience to make you a better driver. I doubt there is a person out there who would not admit they were a much better driver 2 or 3 years after they got any type of vehicle licence than the day after they got it issued! At least with the P plate system for cars they are moving in the right direction.

It would not hurt to have soemthing similar for boats. Pretty scary to think the same person who qualifies today to drive a 4m tinnie with a 15 horse outboard can also run a 400hp skiboat.

My view?

getting Licence stays the same as it is.

No PWC Licence for 2 years after getting boat licence

Maximum HP and boat length first year of boat licence, say 40 hp and 4.5m

Licence first year does not cover designated bar crossings or open waters.

Licence for that first 2 years same as P plates for cars, no alcohol at all, no more than 1 passenger under 21 at night.

i agree totally with feral, the only reason i ended up with a boat licence was to go ski racing, my boat, i'm drivin. even though i could not handle the boat correctly at speeds, i was however legal. just spent a lot of time on the water at speed to get to know how to handle it, and when the good engine went on the back it was easier to drive for some reason, more sedate, strange really. i realise the potential danger and the ease of which i could kill myself and others, so it was baby steps for quite a while for me, but speeds over 110 mph on water is a real adrenalin rush, but not for the faint hearted. :woohoo:

wesfish wrote:

i agree with wesfish . that archie fellow was more interested in talking up his boat and trailer and how long he served in the navy for. the lunch was good.

there is a shed oppisite the karanna downs golf corse on tenderra way that does licencing and does a practical down on the river i see them about once a month it is called something ?-boating academy in blue writing. the boat is a massive quintrex. hope this helps you

shortie wrote:

half the problem is some peoples liceses are 20 plus years old. some of these people might not drive a boat for many years.

Hey.... my licence is 20+ years old! But I have owned or had regular access to a boat since the day I got my licence.

Someone refered to old school licences where you had class room and practical component, thats not old school. Old school was answering 30 multiple choice questions in a government office block and then getting a piece of paper to drive something as hard and fast as possible, with no brakes!

After teaching boating operations for nearly 8 years, I fully support the introduction of a graduated licence system similar to car P's progressing to an open licence in time.

Hey bootie, I got mine 33 years ago (do the maths folks). You had to answer a few questions at the boat ramp (some extra questions if you wanted to drive a ski boat), take the tester for a quick run in the boat, a couple of figure 8s, a carton of grog, and bingo brand new licence.

Valid for life. They dont issue physical licences anymore, its all electronic. If you want something to prove you have a licence you can get them to have the box ticked on your normal car licence next time you get it renewed, or ask for a letter which says you have a licence. (IE for if you want to hire a boat)

Correct, Feral. Funny thing is that anytime the water police have paid me a visit, the conversation goes like this:

Q. Are you the responsible skipper for this vessel?

A. (looking around and seeing only me) Yep

Q. Do you have a licence?

A. Yep

Q. Can you show us your safety gear?

A. Yep, can you tell me who is catching what and where?

A. You should have been here yesterday.

So I have never had to actually prove that I had a licence and have never been asked my name, but then I might just have an honest face. Anyway, happy to see the boys out there checking as there are lots of d*ckheads out there as well.

There was no practical test at all in NSW. You could never have set foot in a boat before, study the book a bit and you were set.

Anyway... back to the original queation. I have only heard good things about Australian Boating College and closest one to you would held at Karana Downs 3841 4570 on 28th March

Archived