Spearfishing the Tweed :(

heidii

I was down at the tweed today doing a boat test when I saw a guy spearfishing in the middle of the river underneath the bridge that goes to Kennedy drive. I was horrified when he pulled up a 40-50cm mangrove jack...is that even legal?????? :angry: My heart broke in two, such a beautiful fish treated so badly :angry:

Yeh, i could never kill such a beautiful fish esp at that size and it pains me to see when other people do it.

My partner always say I will never understand cos im not a fish eater, but even if i ate fish i couldnt kill a wild animal! :(

Oh well, thats life i guess.

heidii wrote:

Yeh, i could never kill such a beautiful fish esp at that size and it pains me to see when other people do it.

My partner always say I will never understand cos im not a fish eater, but even if i ate fish i couldnt kill a wild animal! :(

No offence Heidi but if as you say you would not kill a wild animal i dont think fishing is for you.. as catch and release survival rates are never going to be 100% for anyone no matter their skill level.

mmm seems like it could just be legal - was it boyds bay bridge?

"Spear fishing is also popular under the bridge which, given the high level of vessel traffic traversing the area, can be potentially hazardous for both divers and boaters"

/>http://209.85.173.132/search?q=cache:McFhSyZ3kkAJ:www.waterways.nsw.gov.au/docs/recboat/tweed-part6a.pdf+spearfishing+regulations+for+the+tweed+river&cd=6&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=au&client=firefox-a

Funfisher wrote:

heidii wrote:

No offence Heidi but if as you say you would not kill a wild animal i dont think fishing is for you.. as catch and release survival rates are never going to be 100% for anyone no matter their skill level.

Thats fair enough if thats what you think, but i've never intentially killed a fish. Just because I dont like it when people kill fish doesnt mean its not for me.

Spearfishing

Spear guns and spears must not be used to take fish while using or wearing underwater breathing apparatus other than a snorkel.

Spearfishing for barramundi is prohibited between 6pm and 6am. Spearfishing is prohibited in all fresh waters

Spearfishing is prohibited in the following tidal areas (for precise boundaries consult the Fisheries Regulation 2008):

Bargara Beach (Bundaberg): the Basin.

Brampton and Carlisle Islands: waters between the islands.

Cape Edgecumbe: the foreshores and waters seaward 50 m from low water mark from the boat ramp in Greys Bay around Cape Edgecumbe to the eastern headland of Horseshoe Bay.

Cooktown: within 100 m of the main wharf and pontoons.

Dungeness and Lucinda Point: within 100 m of the public jetties.

Dunk Island: the north-western and western sides.

Great Keppel Island: the north western, western and southern sides.

Hayman Island: the southern and western sides.

Hook Island: the eastern, south-eastern and southern sides.

Lake Weyba (Noosa River): and waterway adjoining the lake and river downstream of Parkyns Jetty at Tewantin and the western tip of Goat Island.

Lindeman Island: the western and southern sides.

Long Island: the western side.

Maroochy River: waterways joining it downstream of, and including, the Cod Hole.

Mooloolah River: downstream of the Nicklin Way Bridge and Brisbane Road.

Artificial reef area Moreton Island near Cowan Cowan.

Noosa River: within 100 m of all public jetties in and south of the Noosa River.

North Keppel Island: the western and southern sides.

Port Dennison: waters under, or within 100 m of, the main wharf at Port Dennison, Bowen, and a structure attached to the wharf.

Pumicestone Strait: between a line from Elimbah Creek to Gallagher Point, Bribie Island and a line from Ninghi Creek to Dux Creek, Bribie Island.

Pumicestone Strait: north of a line from Bells Creek to the northern tip of the most northern island of a group of islands east of Bells Creek, to the western side of Bribie Island.

Richards Island (Bedarra Island): the north-western and northern sides.

Seaforth Island.

Southern Moreton Bay: Jumpinpin and the Southport Broadwater including the seaway Moreton Bay south of 27º42' S (Logan River).

South Molle Island: the northern side.

Tallebudgera Creek: upstream of a straight line between the eastern extremity of Burleigh Heads and the seaward end of the rock groyne near its southern bank of the creek end.

West Molle Island (Daydream Island): surrounding waters.

Woodgate: in the vicinity of the artificial reef, Hervey Bay.

Woody Island: in the vicinity of the artificial reef at the northern end of Great Sandy Strait.

Note: For precise boundaries consult the Fisheries Regulation 2008 - some areas are marked by an SFB sign. Other local, state and federal regulations may also apply - check with the relevant authority.

Ah! the age old battle between spearos and line fisherman. It will never end.

However the answer to the question is: yes! spearfishing is completly illegal in all the waters of the Tweed. Here is the link to assure it:

/>http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fisheries/closures/rec-sw-gen/spearfishing

Some spearos really don't care though, which is why license plate or boat registration numbers should be taken in situations such as this. We did it a couple of years back when we saw spearos on Flinders Reef; took their boat registration and forwarded the info onto to DPI. Don't know what happened, but they took all the information and said they'd investigate. A guy I was on the boat with took pictures of the guys with the spearguns handing them out of the water into the registered boat. Done!

In defence, spearfishing is a legitimate sport, highly skilled and not as easy as it looks or seems, with little to no by-catch. To get a decent size fish, spearfishing takes a lot of practice and knowledge, and good spearfisherman should be awarded for the catches they make. I've spearfished on and off in legal areas for awhile and these days it seems easier to line fish, but I still like to give it go every now and again.

If line fisherman are up in arms about green zones and where they cannot fish, take a minute to consider spearos who've been moved on from the best spearfishing spots for years purely by poor management of the area.

There are a number of views here. Can I ask a question though, would you have cared more, less or the same if a regular fisho took that Jack home for a feed?

Spearfishing, if done properly, has no by-catch, and does not harm any animals other than the ones they want to take home. However, there are far to many idiots who go around shooting every thing they see for the fun of it. That is bad!

Just a few opinions. Although if it was illigal, then he was a wanker :angry:

Well its like I say, if fisho's want a political voice, its gotta be one voice. Doesn't matter wether you like the way they fish or not, if its legal you have to support it. Otherwise its just a sliding scale of where your own personal line in the sand is with no one standing beside you.

Cowfish13 wrote:

Which is still far too many imo :angry:

and which is still far less then fishermen catching undersize, gut hooked released to die line caught fish, leaving snagged lures behind with leader and braid trailing in the water;).

If us rec. fishers could get our act together like the spearo's have done we would have a strong political voice, just look at what the AUF has achieved in the previous years

It's a tough road to walk - the Greens have a huge headstart. The adds portraying animals as humans (which makes me want to throttle someone) is the most recent load of tripe that has been continually forced down the earholes of the population for the past 20 years.

They start on the kids early. The primary schools are filled with a soft thinking feminine attitude because the blokes (in the main) can't stand kids or want to be principal. Our children are brainwashed with it from pre-school years. They are punished for taking any view that opposes the mob. This is nothing new - that's how society has been throughout history.

The only longterm way to combat it is to let your kids know that the teachers aren't necessarily the smartest people in the world. When mine come home speaking dribble they've "learnt" I take the time to challenge it with them; and hope they'll eventually be free thinkers, with a mind capable of challenging the accepted norms forced upon them.

"I'm Sam Kekovich

You know it makes sense". :laugh:

seems i have created quite a debate. To me its not against line fisherman and spearos. To answer your question cowfish13, even if he caught it with a rod i still think its sad that such a beautiful, big fish is killed....im just a softy i guess.

its a personal preference thing .

if the fish is legal size do u keep it or let it go .

i do both,i keep a few for a feed 2 to 4,i let a lot go .

sometime i just let them all go if i only get 1 or 2 ,those time's i'm fishing for the enjoyment and not wanting any to eat.just depends in the mood i'm in i guess.

if i know info about the fish and it a big fish the right size to breed or breeding size a lot of times i let it go.

if it a new fish i have never caught and its good eating i mite keep it .

there lots of factors that influence peoples decisions and personal preference

i guess i'm a bit of a softy sometime to fish cause i have them as pets and luv them.so i think a big beautiful fish i would let go just to feel the happiness of it swimming away.

i think spear fishing is more a direct target ,so no bycatch .i have never been spearfishing.but i do snorkel around watching the fish,like watching the fish in my tanks i just like floating by watching the fish do there thing. :)

then u mite fish get a bycatch and want to take it home to eat.i guess bycatch is only bad when u get fish that are undersize or not allowed to keep.but then if they are handled proper they live .sometime they get gut hook and there stuffed it's an unfortunate thing that happens.

there are so many factors to consider no side is right or wrong .

so as long as u are doing the legal thing and doing your personal preference,i guess u can sleep at night ok.

as long as there not breaking the laws ans doing the legal thing it all good by me.

anyways that's my 2 bob.

heidii wrote:

seems i have created quite a debate. To me its not against line fisherman and spearos. To answer your question cowfish13, even if he caught it with a rod i still think its sad that such a beautiful, big fish is killed....im just a softy i guess.

I agree with you though. I definately would have released it (if I could catch it in the first place :blush: )

• 1 month later...

mmmm mangrove jack one of my favourites.!!!

they are not a rare fish you know they do breed there will be others if you are that passionate about catchin and releasin them move up north where you can catch and release them one after another all day long.spearfishing is awesome its fitness its hunting and stalkin and heaps fun and also very relaxing.everybody likes different things so don't hate on them we can't all be the same. i love linefishing too...pretty pumped goin for a spear tomorrow2!!!

exactly! there far more common up north, so the numbers arnt that great down here! don't get me wrong there are still a few here but why not more cnr down here? at least we still can with line fishing, once you spear something even if its a cm under its rooted where as line fishing still can be released

this is interesting conversation and is great to see it hasn't been taken down to the gutter as can sometimes happen (except ellicat has spoken in this thread so that taints it slightly :P ) so well done everyone on an adult debate!

spearfishing is a definite skill and is not to everyones liking. you can spend hours and only catch one decent fish, other times you go home in 5 minutes with a full bag. however, i believe some species are far more susceptable to spearfishing pressure than others - i.e territorial fish such as cod and mangrove jack and perhaps there should be a specific lergislation with these species. they have banned all fishing for maori wrasse due to them being a ridiculously easy target for spear fishing and plundered as such in the past. I will say spear fishos do get a tough wrap because of the minority who just kill everything... i knew a guy who used to get bored and take pot shots at mullet ffs. WHY???? guys who do it properly target a specific species and only that and come home when they have got it. as with line fishing, some ruin it for all.

line fishos do create a hell of a lot more bycatch. and it is not a perfect sport in any way shape or form. you can try and minimise it as much as possible and reduce the impact... depending on the individual in question of course. this principle applies to spear fishos as well... more so about who is on the end of the gun than the sport itself.

as to killing fish... well to each their own. i understand your side of the coin heidi - one of my good mates is a vegetarian so we have this conversation all the time! i only take what i can eat while it is fresh and let the rest go. its more about the sport and recreation time than getting a feed. i think that applies to the vast majority of fishos, spear or line.

i do get mighty pissed off when i see people acting outside the rules and regs regardless of whether i disagree with the rule or reg or not! sounds like this guy was acting within the bounds of the law so we can't persecute him for that i spose. i wouldn't personally spear a jack - i love handfeeding the big ones along the rock walls at the mouth of the tweed where spearfishing is banned. there is one that has been in the same hole for the past 5 years - he would be about 75cm long and healthy as. and he seems to know when it is feeding time! :)

so that's my 1c worth...

cheers,

benno

• 2 weeks later...

heidii wrote:

yeh they certanly r.

i went scuba diving in tweed near the mouth n saw some buties.

great spot there got chased by a lion fish to:P

This is the aftermarth of someone being stupid :angry: or not knowing the Rules

Printed in the local "Rocky Paper" before Easter.

Disgrace: who shot Stir Fry?

Megan Lewis | 9th April 2009

Stir Fry, a one-metre long, 20 kilogram cod, had a spear bolt hole in his neck indicating he had fallen victim to an illegal spearfisherman.

HE was the big, friendly greasy cod hand-fed by thousands of adoring tourists visiting Great Keppel Island.

And when tourist boat skipper Adrian Molloy found his lifeless body on the bottom of the reef around Middle Island Underwater Observatory last Friday, he “felt like someone had shot my dogâ€.

Stir Fry, a one-metre long, 20 kilogram cod, had a spear bolt hole in his neck indicating he had fallen victim to an illegal spearfisherman.

The illegal slaughter of the well-known tourist attraction has left local residents reeling.

Adrian and authorities are searching for justice.

Yesterday Adrian said two of the other cod were also missing and the fourth had been found with a large red hook stuck in its mouth.

“The hook wasn't there the previous couple of days, so someone has been back since Stir Fry was shot and been fishing again.â€

Adrian said spear fishing in the area would be like shooting fish in a barrel.

“There's no sport in it. It's pretty gutless.

“These fish are like big puppy dogs, you could practically tap them on the head with a spear gun and they wouldn't move.â€

The area around Middle Island and the Underwater Observatory is deemed to be Regulated Waters under the Fisheries Act 1994 and Fisheries Regulation 2008 which means it is an offence to take fish or possess fish taken in those waters.

The offence has an on-the-spot fine of $400 or up to $100,000, if dealt with through a Magistrate's Court.

After anchoring the boat, Adrian dived down to retrieve Stir Fry.

“I was pretty upset. I'd just told these tourists how they were about to experience hand-feeding these great big friendly cod and they had to see that.â€

Since the discovery, Adrian and other staff from Freedom Fast Cats have snorkelled the area extensively in search of the two other missing fish.

“They have definitely gone missing.

“The fish are very territorial and they don't move. They are so valuable to local tourism.â€

Adrian said he had witnessed illegal activity in the area in the past but had felt powerless to stop it.

“Sixty percent of the people we find there aren't local, and they aren't paying attention to zoning maps. But there are also some pretty unscrupulous people around who slide in when they think no one is watching. Unless they get caught in the act by authorities, there isn't much you can do.â€

Queensland Boating and Fisheries Patrol field officer Amanda Tennent said the department was investigating the matter and urging anyone with information to contact them.

Ms Tennent said the Easter holidays was again building to be a busy fishing weekend and anglers should familiarise themselves with new minimum size and more restrictive bag limits that were applied to some fish species from March 1.

Over a peeriod of time there have been several large Trout taken from here aswell.

Just goes to show that not all spearos do the right thing. This was just plain slaughter and gives the rest of the good spearfisherman a bad name.

My 2c worth.

Lozz.

• 1 year later...

re: Illegal to spearfish in freshwater.

As a strong advocate for protecting our native fish, you all can probably imagine my disgust and horror with the fact that I regularly see people around Cairns, using modern spearfishing gear to take large numbers of jungle perch in freshwater, inside no fishing national park areas. When I have raised the issue that what they are doing is illegal, I have been called a racist and told they are practicing "traditional hunting and gathering". Very sad to see entire pools cleaned out of JP's in this manner.

Of note I have no problem with spearfishing but the same as line fishing, the rules need to be followed.

Archived