Slow day Caloundra 12 Mile Tuesday 17/3

dhess

Left from Mooloolaba boat ramp to Caloundra 12 mile before first light. Having heard good things about the area and having never fished it before myself I was hoping to find some good ground.

Found some nice looking ground soon enough and had a drop. First drop up cam a grassy around 50cm. Things were looking good but not much happened after that. Caught heaps of just under size fish mostly grassies and redthroat. Found some more promising looking ground in the area but only pulled another slightly smaller grassy and a just legal venus tuskfish. My regular deckie Karol pulled quite a nice little scorion cod around 35cm and to our surprise a beautiful little red emperor, both of which went straight back in.

Conditions were quite nice hardly any swell but a bit of wind chop. The SE/SW wind against the northerly current made fishing quite difficult so we decided not to work the bottom any deeper and wider and to have a troll.

around 12 mile it was very green with water temp at about 25.5 degrees. Within in minutes a blue jethead went screaming off at a high rate of knots. Soon after came in a nice little yellowfin tuna. We worked the same area for a bit for nought. We trolled N/NE all the way to the Barwon Banks without another hit.:( Out wider water temp rose to 27 degrees and the colour becam a beautiful electric blue. Problem was we couldn't really find any good areas of bait. Had a few drops on one of my marks on the Banks but only caught heaps of little stuff.

Interestingly didn't see any snappery shows on the sounder all day long. Didn't catch a single one, not even undersized either.

On the way back into mooloolaba saw a stupid number of mac tuna working bait around the Gneerings. Had a few flicks at them and after finally hooking up I lost one. Was running low on fuel so called it a day.

Bit disappointing but still nice to get out and find some new ground. [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/P3170603_AFO.jpg

post-972-144598488224_thumb.jpg

Archived