"old faithful", 22/3/09

nadders

Teck and I walked the schultz canal gauntlet this afternoon, but all our offerings were rejected (that is, of course, except for our blood offering to the mozzies :\ )

so we decided we'd throw some lures at our spot near bretts wharf, hoping for flatties, cod and maybe something more?

well the something more didn't happen, but we did ok on the other 2. Throwing 3" atomic shads i started the ball rolling with a 30cm odd, teck followed suit with a baby. I decided to flick a vibe lure out (ecogear vt55) and got smacked pretty hard. I was thinking good fish, and it wasn't too bad with a just legal (38cm now) cod:

22309codafo.jpg

As I always add about 10cm to the minimum size before i'll take something to eat he went straight back into his stingy little rock cave.

Not too long after Teck hooked his second flatty for the day, a little bigger than the baby at maybe 35cm? but the headshakes got the better of him before the lift. bugger.

meanwhile i tried a halco trembler with a few taps before a snag :( lost my first lure in about a week! back to the plastics. Flicked a bit, tap tap strike, good fish! a 48cm dinner i mean flatty, who put up a good scuffle. Hoisted him over the rail post haste for the snappy snaps and preparation for the table tomorrow :)

22309flattieafo.jpg

Pretty fun night, fishing was ok and we were always entertained by the big mullet swimming and jumping around :D

cheers

dan

Wow, Nadders, what a nice blue rod...looks familiar...haha

yeah, tonight was Nadders night to make up for yesterday, at least he took home a feast. For me I look several jigs, who invented snags anyway. All in all, it was a good session and 'ole faithful' did not let us down.

Used to fish that area for bream abit on hbs and plastics. Got some smaller flattys and moses perch to. Good on you for breaking out the baitcasters. Somthing i would like to do more of before winter sets in. Oh and vt65's are one of my favourite lures for cod, got my pb of 43cm jigging one under a jetty before a cod raced out and smashed it infront of my eyes.

pinkey its fun watching the cod smash stuff isn't it, i've seen one steal my lure in true cod style before. just at my feet working an sx40 infront of a rock wall, out shoots a big brown cod from the tiniest stingiest little opening in some rocks, grabs the sx40 and goes straight back in the blink of an eye. didn't even get more than his head out of the hole the bastard lol

yeah hahah, when you actully see them strike, you can understand why they cause so many bustoffs. Had a mate reeling in a bream then a dirty big cod comes up and tries to eat the bream and scoffs it down and just swimming around the surface like a retard then spits it back out again and swims away.. we also hooked the same cod about 4 times but kept dropping it lol, took a while to wise up.

Archived