Recreational Fishing licenses

shortie

I don't know if they are achieving the goal they were brought in for, but I don't think is such a bad idea. I didn't like it at first, but I do like the idea of them using the money for stocking fish and I think it is good how most people selling the licenses will also issue people with a booklet on bag limit and size limits, so people have no excuse for keeping the wrong fish.

Gary Fookes has an article in latest QFM on this subject.

I have just had a quick scan of the article but what I have read seems a bit scaremongering to me.

I am a bit sceptical on the stats provided as he just compares percentage of fishers in QLD without licenses and NSW with. Would be interested in percentages in NSW for pre and post licenses.

He also states juniors wouldn't fish if license needed. juniors do not need a license an any state.

I will read it properly tonight and probably comment again.

I am a member of 2 fish stocking assns one has been part of the SIP scheme for a long time and the other has just become a member. In Qld the sip has become the life blood of stocking groups the only problem is that the Government creams off a large percentage in admin fees.

Even waters that are not part of the SIP benefit from the scheme as DPI use part of the funds to stock every bass stream in QLD to help maintain a viable sourse

At the moment there are two methods of distributing the funds raised. If you purchase your permit on line the monies raised are distributed to the various stocking groups using a formula of the surface area of the dams that they stock.

If you purchase the permit at a tackle store or agent you can allocate which dams you wish to benefit from your fees.

If the SIP scheme was to stop the stocking groups would be forced to go back to their old fund raising methods of pub raffles etc.

I believe that 100% of monies raised should go into fish stocking and should not be used for jetties,ramps and fish cleaning tables as our current exorbitant boat registration fees are supposed to provide for these.

Cheers

Ray

I have no problems with a fishing license how ever I do believe it should be a national license ;)

With funds raised by each state to stay in that state :woohoo:

I have traveled all round Aus and got sick of paying for a new licence in each state :angry:

I mean your Drivers license covers you nation wide :woohoo:

The other thing a national License would do away with accidental infringement of borders like you see from people taking their boats out of the seaway ;)

A classic instance was at Lake Hume The vic guys would launch from nsw boat ramps and legally fish the vic side of the lake only to be nabbed upon arrival at the ramp and had know way of proving their catch was only caught in vic waters :angry: The same would happen in Lake Mullwala :angry:

After much protesting the powers to be finally conceded and made Lake Hume a vic lake and mullwala a nsw ;)

Gaz

Agree with noname. The idea of using the funds for fishing related activities is great, but the reality is that the majority of the fees will go into administering the whole scheme with very little going back where it was intended. Better to lobby the government on how it spends general revenue. Soon we will all be wearing oxygen meters and breathing ona pay by view basis.

stocking of snapper was all planned years ago by john palermo, it was to be inside the bay off tangalooma, but govt canned it last minute, something to do with sharks, illegal fishing, and inbreads being the result in the end. has also been talk of pens out off moreton island too, again sharks and pro's were the concern there, so that was canned too.

i also believe if some body of people want to start a stocking program of salt water fish, does not give them the right to charge people for say a snapper, for the snapper stocking assoc of what ever, when i chase pelagics or whiting! if the real stats were released, i think it would be surprising just how little the recre sector catches compared to pro fishermen, i don't know if fresh water species get as much fishing pressure from pro fishermen. how short our memories are! did we not just get a massive rise in rego's, hmmm why so much ? what did the boaties get out of it, really get out of it, sfa. thats what. if you really want i licence give your money to me and i'll give you a licence.

The longer it takes to get a fishing license in Queensland the worse it will be because when it eventually does come it will have a very bright tinge of green to it.

No fishing during daylight hours as we don't want to make the eco tourists sick.

No fishing with sharp objects such as hooks as we dont want to hurt the fishies.

No fishing where anchors or lines may damage the ecosystem.

Magnetic tackle and tin fish will be supplied at cost to the fisherman.

Additional permits will be required if you fish beyond your own swimming pool.

:blink:

The smart thing to do is to embrace a fishing license for the good it could do and try and exclude any potential bad in legislation. But then fishermen are rarely accused of being forward thinkers.

Archived