Sign in to follow this  

25th Borumba Toga on the chew

Recommended Posts

Well I couldnt let a spare day off go unfished now could I ;-) ;-) the weather wasnt great for much else so i decided to hit a dam, and my Favourite dam is probly borumba cause I just love targetting the Toga there.

Didnt head off till after lunch so got on the water about 2pm, but it didnt take long before the first action of the day, I was casting a Mazzy pop on my 4-8lb Loomis DSR820 BC with my pixy on it loaded with 6lb braid, into some timber not far fromt he ramp and boof im on a spirited little fight and some nice jumps later I land the first Toga for the session :)

Just a little feller but good fun on the light gear, didnt bother measuring but would have been mid 50's id say

wow what a start only 20 mins in and the first one landed :) and most of that time was in travel.

Worked my way up to the first arm on the left nothin much happening, then i see the slightest little disturbance hard up against the bank, cast the Mazzy pop in landing it right on the money, and as i wind to engage the reel Boof, splash all hell breaks loose. BIG toga screams 5m or so of line off and heads skyward thrashing his head and throwing the hooks :shock: Bugger bloody good fish probly close to 80cm and a possible PB :( oh well back to casting.

I swapped over to my second outfit, my Loomis IMX with alphas R loaded with 8lb, chucked a Cultiva ZipnZiggy on it and started pounding away cast after cast but no luck for quite some time, then as always dreamin away in your own little world when Boof out of nowhere a massive surface hit, but the bugger missed the hooks, left the lure sitting there a couple of twitches but nothing, so i quickly switchbaited him with my other rod and as soon as i cranked the handle he smashed the mazzy, another good fish too not quite as big as the first but good none the less. but once again he threw the hooks on his second jump :twisted: :twisted:. that was all the action i got for the next hour or so until I headed further up the back of the dam I picked up 2 fish in quick succession

this little bass on the zippnziggy

followed by another SMall toga on the same lure

HAd another hit from a good toga but the hooks just didnt stick 5 mins later. that was all the action I got till I was headin back right on dark into a stiff breeze, I saw a nice swirl in a bay to my left I headed in and landed the Ziggy right on his headed and he nailed it

Please login or register to view this image
:) I couldnt see too much as it was fairly dark now, but i knew it was a good fish with the amount of splash it was making, then line goes loose and the lure comes flyin past my head :shock: :shock: another dropped fish

It was a great day out on the water, The hooks just didnt stick today but hey thats Toga fishn for yah


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Angus wrote:

Well done mate. Ill have to head up there and give it a crack. My one and only Toga session was fun, but admittedly like shooting fish in a barrel!!


Mate anytime u want to invite me to shoot fish in that barrel let me know :woohoo: :woohoo:


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Lee I love that close up pic of the toga's head; it is a work of art. You can even see your reflection in the fishes eye! If your head was over a tiny bit more, you would be able to see your face!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Latest Posts

  • Similar Content

    • By Fishyreb
      Hi fishos hope everyone is still getting a line in considering these social restrictions and such.  
      So I've spent two or three nights a week over the last five weeks targeting sharks in the north pine river. I haven't had any success with the sharks, though I've caught some other fish. I've been busted off above the leader, had my trace bitten through, had large live baits bitten in half and smaller ones mangled. I guess I could say I've had a run of bad luck on the sharks. 
      Mostly fishing around dohles rocks and at deepwater bend a couple times and under the bridge on the north side couple times. Fishing with my heavy duty shark rod 30lb line, my 8ft gen purpose 10lb line, and my 6ft spin 8lb. I also have an extra reel with 30lb I sometimes bang on the 8ft if I want 2 shark lines in.  Using mullet and catfish for bait mostly. 
      This last 2 weeks at dohles rocks (I mostly fish both sides of low tide usually after dark)  I've caught some decent bream 35cm+ (and a couple smaller ones), a javelin fish about 35cm, two or three cats about 30cm and two large pike eels last night. I kept one of the eels for shark bait as I was running low on bait.  I was disappointed when I saw the first eel because he put up a good fight I thought he might have been a little shark. 
      (continues after pics) 

      Please login or register to view this attachment I've done a little fishing in Sweeney reserve at petrie. I was getting baits picked off really quick so I put a little whiting hook and tiny bait on and I was catching catfish one after another but they were like only 12cm long. Couple of bream about the same size. Does anyone know if this section of the river is worth fishing? I've put in a few nights there and caught nothing bigger than about 7 inches. Done a bit of lure throwing there too and only caught sticks and snags. 
      I've heard that tarpon sometimes get into this section of the river can anyone confirm this or give me some info on the time of year I'm likely to catch them?  I caught a good one in a gold coast canal last November (after hooking up and getting my lure thrown about 5 times)  I really loved targeting them I'd love to get onto some more. 
      Thanks for reading! 
      Hi all
      Yesterday night I decided to go for a trip to the local park, so I did. I was supposed to be back by 8:30AM but I ended up going 1 hour overtime. It was pretty quiet on all scenes but I still got some fish.  
      I arrived at approximately 6:30AM, and casted my lines out baited with prawn. After the flat salmon - some bait I caught when I was in Yeppoon - was thored, the shark line was thrown out to. It didn't take long for the first bite either, because in about 10 minutes of waiting I had a run. It was short though, and to my disappointment the fish (most likely a catfish) had dropped the bait. I rebaited that line but the next time, in about 5 more minutes, the rod next to the pylons went off. I didn't have a chance to pick it up before it bricked me in the artificial wire rock wall retainer, so I picked it up, felt its vigorous head shakes but couldn't pull it up. I walked over to where it had taken me, and started pulling. Hoping it was another cod, I pulled it up. To my surprise, it was a nice eel, of 45cm. There wasn't a second thought in my head, and straightway this fish was shark bait. The legal limit is 30 cm for Longfin, Pacific Shortfin and Southern Shortfin so in to the esky it went.  I didn't want to chop it up on the jetty though in fear of it slipping back into the water, and the fact it was still alive. The fight was pretty lousy as in my experience eels normally go pretty hard, but hopefully the next time I go sharking it will produce. Here it is - 

      I only got a picture of Sharkbait (I named it, how original) at home  
      After that was initially dealt with, I had a throw of the cast net. Hoping for some prawns, my first couple of throws produced a couple. I baited up a line with a good sized banana prawn and chucked it out. In five minutes time the live prawn rod went off so it was frantic. One eel flopping around in the bucket and me trying to reel in a fish. It was fighting quite well, and I thought it might've been a large catfish, or even a bream. Though, after 30 seconds or so, maybe one minute, I saw the fish. It was a small catfish, and I was shocked at how it had fought. Head shakes and tiny runs. Pretty good for a catfish though. Here it is - 

      Catfish do fight well! Taken on a live prawn
      After the catfish, I threw the net some more. A couple small prawns was all I caught initially, but after I had one more throw I saw some silver. I had made one good cast which gave me some prawns and three big frogmouth pilchards. These are my favourite bait in the river, especially if they're alive, so I emptied the cast net bucket and took them over. One problem - the eel was currently occupying it! I put the eel in the esky after some failed attempts at it, and then filled the bucket up. A couple ones were dead, but one was going good. The aerator was fired up and off they went. After chucking them in though, I noticed one was orangey, not blue like the usual. I might need and ID on this if it is not a frogmouth, because while I am 99% sure it is, I just wanted to check. I got some ID photos and threw it back, kicking and alive at the end.  

      Sorry the photos are bad. Is it still a frogmouth?
      By now, it was about eight. I had supposed to be home by 8:30AM, and with a few more casts of the net I decided to take a break from it. I had already checked the shark line once, so this time I saw the tip bent over. I was excited, hoping I was on. When I started to pull it up, all I could feel was a dead weight. This surprised me and I thought maybe whatever it was had bricked itself. I guess I'll never know, because after about 30 seconds, it dropped the bait. I reeled it up to see only a hook... oh well, time for a new bait. The next half of the flat salmon was chucked on, and wished good luck LOL. 
      Back up at the pier (there is a pier going down to a jetty, I put the shark line on the jetty and the other lines on the pier) my lines were getting pickered. I missed quite a few fish, and in the period of about 45 minutes I lost a bit of tackle too (snags). I had another throw of the cast net as well, and just caught a tiny herring which I threw back (to tiny for bait). I started to switch up my rigs a bit as well, and I put on a whole frog mouth pilchard (smaller one) and half hitched the tail, like you rig normal pilchard with single hooks. This got me nothing except a snag  so I switched back to prawn. I decided to change the bait on the shark line as well, as I had recasted it a few times. I put on the largest frogmouth pilchard, in hope of a nice bully - 

      It was nice and cool the whole time, and in the shade was nice. In about another half hour from when that bait change had happened, I got a couple more missed hookups. They were all small though, and nothing would've been very big. They were either taking short bursts of line (I have the drag loose) or just picking away. My dad then called and told me I had to head home, and I was an hour late LOL. When I got home, I still had one important job. To deal with the eel.  
      I sharpened the bait knife quickly and began to chop. After about 20 minutes and a lot of blood on the bait board (not to mention slime) the eel was done. What I found most disturbing is even after i chopped the head off the body still moved . The final product is now in my freezer, and waiting to be consumed by a shark. Here it is - 

      Please login or register to view this image The eel on the chopping board on in chops.  
      That is all that really happened, here are the stats of the trip: 
      Tide: 3:50AM high, 2:00M, 10:10Am low, 0.8M - I was fishing the run out
      Time fished: 6:30AM-9:30AM
      Moon Phase: Waxing Crescent, first phase after new moon
      Fish caught: Eel x 1, catfish x 1
      Bait caught: Prawn, frog-mouth pilchard, herring
      Bait used: Flat salmon, prawn, frog-mouth pilchard
      Tackle: 4/o Suicide hooks, 6/o circle hooks, 20 inch wire trace, size 5 ball sinker, 30lb mainline and leader, 20lb leader, small swivels, size 2 ball sinker/bean sinker, 1000 size Sieena, 2500 size Nasci (Shimano), 650 Penn, 8ft Ugly stik, 6"6' Ugly stik, Rogue Firepoint, 14lb mainlines. 
      Overall success rate: 50% - not the target species but still a nice morning out
      Thanks for reading, I hope you enjoyed the report. Sorry if it's a bit boring. I hope everyone is safe with COVID-19. 
      Cheers Hamish Please login or register to view this image 
      Hi all
      Today I decided I would go for an afternoon session at my local park on the Brisbane River. It was a nice afternoon, I did get soaked in the rain LOL, but I still caught some fish.
      I rocked up at about 2:45PM with my fishing trolley. This has proven to be a very good investment ($50 from Kmart) and has served me excellently so far. It has great stability and the rod holder I've fashioned on to it have done me well. Here it is - 

      That was from last time all loaded up as well. As well as this, three other people were fishing off the pontoon (not the pier) which is rare. I barely ever have company, but I finally figured out they had organised to meet up. They were flicking soft plastics so I assume it is one of their first time's fishing at that location (rarely are soft plastics used). 
      Now, to the fishing. It was pretty good especially the prawning. After I got down and got the lines in, I had my first bite in about 10 minutes. I dropped one but soon after I managed to set the hook well into a catfish. It put up a pretty dud fight as I skull dragged it in. Though, saying that, it was not big at all by any means. 
      I had the shark line in as well, and another rod. After that catfish, I got a couple touches but no more hookups. I was throwing the net a bit and I got one or two prawns. In this time, my mate dropped by so we had a chat for a bit. It wasn't to hot as there was a nice breeze keeping us cool. I didn't get sunburnt at all either because I had my balaclava, sunnies and cap on . Though, in about 30-40 minutes of him being there, the sky started to darken. Soon, it was raining down on us. He moved some of the gear under a tree which gave temporary shelter until wet. He left about 25% through the storm, so I was getting soaked and so were the reels. I had no raincoat as I left in a hurry  but I wasn't to cold when it passed. 
      In the time of the storm the tide was still receding... and the prawns were going off. I must've had a good dozen in the bucket for live bait before I began to feed the fish.  I was hurting a bit from throwing the ten footer around, but every cast was worth it as I always got a prawn in the top. If it wasn't in the top, it was in the bottom pocket as well. 
      After the storm passed, the prawns stopped going crazy but I still was getting good captures. I also had a few more hits. Most of these were due to me throwing the net and then the fish dropping the bait, but on one occasion I pulled the hook/ struck to hard. I was slowly pulling and then I timed it badly. Oh well, there is always next time for the fish. I kept getting more hits as well, until I eventually got the fish on. It was a bit of a better fight, and I pulled up a tiny catfish. Here it is - 

      After that one, I kept getting some more prawns. These have became freezer baits so hopefully I can get out this week. Though, apparently we are in Stage 3 Lockdown so we can't leave the house unless necessary (I have argued with my parents and told them it is necessary to have a weekly fish ). Soon after, and a few more hits, I got a call from my Dad that said, 'Come home now, it's dinner and getting dark'. Bad timing I said, so we made a compromise that I could have 5 more throws of the castnet. I got a little take and a good take in this time, and I am wondering if it was just a cattie or something else. The shark line was reeled in untouched - I think the best time at this park is early morning. Then again, it might just be because we are cooling down...
      I wheeled my cart back home so we could unload bait and prawns, clean cart, etc. I did this and here are the prawns I caught today which have been salted and frozen - 

      Please login or register to view this image Not really big, but great bait!
      Here are the stats of the trip, for anyone's reference.  
      Tide: High 1:44PM, Low 7:24PM so i was fishing the run out
      Moon Phase: Waxing crescent - first phase after New Moon
      Rainfall: 3.6mm in last week and fortnight but maybe a bit more as of this afternoon.
      Tackle Used: 1000 size Sienna, 2500 Nasci, 650 Penn, Shimano reels, 20lb leader, 30lb leader, 80lb wire trace, size 5 sinker, size 2 ball sinker, 4/o suicide hook, 6/o circle hook, Ugly Stik rods, 6'6" and 8'. Rogue Firepoint 6'6"
      Bait caught: Prawns: Roughly 15 but 8 frozen
      Bait used: Prawns, mullet
      Fish caught: Catfish x 2
      Overall success rate: 80% - A great day on the water with some fish and prawns  
      Thanks for reading the report, I hope you enjoyed it even though it wasn't the most exciting Please login or register to view this image  Best of luck and safeness with COVID-19, I hope no one is affected and everyone stays healthy.
      Cheers Hamish
    • By Allnighter
      About 15 years ago i used to fish the bay islands regularly with my sons and one close mate, but then some life changes got in the way and my close mate unfortunately passed away
      Back then i was a regular to Ausfish and met some great blokes, and had some great fishing adventures.
      I sold the 5.2m Formosa 10 years ago or so, but have recently rekindled my passion for the bay again and have bought a 4.2m Renegade with the desire to fish the bay again with my two sons
      Please login or register to view this image Well, the glorious bay is still there all these years later and i am thoroughly enjoying re-living the good old days!
      What a beautiful place we have right at our back door!
      Luckily i kept some gps marks from all those years ago which are still producing some great fish.
      These are from just 5-6m of water.

      Please login or register to view this attachment  
    • By rayke1938
      Last trip yesterday as now shut out due to virus.
      As normal took a while to find a school of bass with forky schools still prevalent. Usual procedure find a school on the sounder and drop live shrimp. If 3 forkies and no bass landed move on, After around 6 stops we found a school of reasonable sized bass in 39 feet of water out from the stump behind the island. Final tally 40 bass one small yella and 25 forkies. See that percy and his mates have resumed roosting on the ramp, 
      Wish i had known about closure as I could have brought my shrimp traps home.
      I now have a little job to do at home which is to see if I can find my saltwater boat in the back of the garage.
      Cheers Ray

      Please login or register to view this attachment
  • Latest Topics

  • Donate

    Please donate to support AFO. We appreciate all donations!

  • Popular Contributors

  • Upcoming Events

    No upcoming events found
  • Most Liked Topic This Month

  • Random Topics

  • Newest Clubs

  • Links