local knowledge required

msuffolk

Hi everyone. my name is michael, i am a youthworker and i work with 2 young kids (12-14) who are showing a real interest in fishing, we bought them fishing rods for christmas, but i dont know where to take them as i am only new to brisbane, the only place i have taken them is wellington point, we went last week and caught 2 size whiting which the boys LOVED, and since then they have developed a real taste for fishing, i was hoping someone might be able to suggest some other locations to take them (saltwater ir fresh)? we are located around springfield. but can drive anywhere in brisbane.

these kids have very little in their lives to be happy about, so thanks so much for any help at all.

-michael

p.s also if anyone knows where i can find some good dvd's that will teach basic sort of stuff, that would be great too.

Gday mate and welcome to teh site.

Good work your doing, much respect.

The best thing i can suggest is to look in the forums at the Brisbane Rivers and Creeks Reports section as well as the generic Salwater and Freshwater sections. This dicusses numerous locations, many of which are land based and youth friendly.

Also keep checking teh site, as we often have social days and bbq's both formal and informal. A great place to meet like minded fisho's from every age bracket. The best way to check out whats happening in to look in the \"Going Fishing\" section of the forum. I will be trying to organise a fishing day and bbq next month at North Pine Dam so ill Pm you when im more certain of timings etc. Maybe the Australia Day long weekend?

At a pinch, from Springfield, you may want to try Colleges Crossing and Kookooburra Park. This place has plenty of bream and catfish to keep young anglers entertained. Also does not hurt to put a wire trace on another line as there are plenty of Bull Sharks there. Dont worry about light gear, many of these sharks are not that big. But you can have a look in the reports for pics :)

Good luck mate.

Angus

Very good effort!

We will have to make sure you get them along to the next group fishing trip we organise locally!

I've 2 or 3 of those promotional DVD's they send out / give away - 1 from from Alvey, one from Terry's baits and another from NSW version of DPI. I'll have a look around for them, if I can find them I can send you some copies.

If you can get out to North Pine Dam which is around Cashmere it's usually producing good fish on bait. It's the closest Fresh Water Dam to Brisbane so probably the best option. Just look into the Rules and Regulations as to what you can, can't and what you have to keep. There's quite a different amout of species to catch as well. Bass, Silver Perch, Garfish, Tilapia, Tandanus Catfish (Eel-Tailed Catfish), Turtles, Yellowbelly, Saratoga and the list goes on. Best bait I've heard is Live Shrimp or Earth Worms.

Also the kids will probably love catching a few Redclaw Crayfish in the traps. You can pick them up nice and cheap from Amart All Sports at times they are 5 for only $15 and are shaped like an Opera House, hence the name Opera House Traps. Then just buy rope and tins of catfood for each one and you've got a very good chance at a few Crayfish.

Troy

I can't really suggest too many spots but I did have fun at Wellington Point, like your kids and a holiday on Stradbroke Island is awesome fun.

For DVD's, The ones that you get every 3rd or 4th isuue with Fishing World magasine are pretty good, but they do try to advertise alot of stuff (ie Okuma, Silstar, Storm, Ultrabite). These DVD's don't teach very much but they do have plenty of Tuna, Barramundi, Shark and Mackeral action (as well as other species) that should get your kids hooked on fishing. I should know seeing as they did it for me and I'm still only in my teens.

With Fshing World, you also get a free reel when you subscribe and they send out other freebies as well, like lures, fishing line etc. And the magasine is also pretty good.

Cheers, Will

Post edited by: Cowfish13, at: 2007/01/15 18:33

hey mate, i would try the pine river at deep water bend, it has alot of good banks to fish off. chicken gut always gives me great results in this area with some big bream. i've caught just about everything around here such as whiting, flathead, bream, mangrove jack, eustary cod, catfish, small sharks etc

thanks so much guys,

i will be sure to try them out soon.

haha one of the boys is getting very excited about all the different spots, i told him if he catches somethin he can take a picture and post it on this website, he cant wait. apparently he went fishing with another carer for 9 hours the other day at jacobs well, just catching butter bream on a bait jig. had a ball.

also i didnt realise that the size limits are different from nsw(im from ballina) so some of the whiting i threw back the other day probably would have been size... :whistle: whoops. haha he wasnt too happy.

anyway guys, thanks again.

-michael.

Archived