What is this??

Dazzamcgee

i just read up a bit on the old spangled perch....it says that they breed from november thru to late summer and that, thou not proven, they can survive in the mud of a dried up body of water for a long period of time.....and i heard somwhere (most prob a old mans tale) that their eggs can be passed thru water birds and thats why you can see them pop up in any dam anywhere without being introduced...dont know if its tru but sounds pretty cool....they are in my mums dam and no one put em there?

dazzamcgee wrote:

Hi all,just got back from a quick throw at xxx spot didn't catch any bass(theres a storm brewing so they have shut down) [img size=265]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/234.jpg

Mate if there was a storm brewing you should have stayed there. Bass hardly eat during the day unless its's over cast or before a storm/shower. Where did you get that Spangled Perch? North Pine?

werewolf wrote:

thats impressive ando I was under the impression that they maxed out at 25cm. I think I read that in Grant's. Did you get a pic?

Nar, we didn't bother with a picture. Just cut it's throat and threw it back. We all called it for a Bass! But yes, we were all surprised to see one so 'dam' big. At Nabeel's Dam they are just pests so they mostly goto the birds for an easy feed.

Troy

James: Several species of marine life can pass through birds in egg form and survive quite happily. I understand thats why even in remote dams without a close waterbody can all of a sudden have population of crayfish, eels, spangled perch etc.

Dazza: They are feisty little critters those spangled perch. Here was my first one for the day Baroon last trip and the lure that caught it. [img size=400]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Perch1.JPG

post-63-144598405388_thumb.jpg

Archived