Chicken as bream bait

Slyhawke

I been fishing for bream with chicken breast or thigh as bait. Caught alot of good bream with this, does anyone else use chicken?

I find it stay on hook a lot longer and u achieve more hits.

Biggest bream caught was 42 cm in tweed.

Anyone have good reports on this?

i use chicken breast or thigh too bream ,squire ,cattys,shovelnose and a few pest fish i have got on it.but stays on the hook better than servo prawns or servo white bait etc.

i only tried the chicken cause that what a mate uses when he wants a feed of squire from the gateway area of the river.

oh have used the chook gut too,its ok like putting a worm on .seams to get the same as chicken meat.

yeh i used to use chicken thighs a fair bit back in the days... used to pull some stodger bream out at new farm park using chicken thighs. I just found it was heaps harder for them to get off the hook and they really seemed to like it.

The fattier/crappier the better it seemed, so you could even go to a real butcher and ask them for their chicken offcuts to make it super cheap...

yep I'm with nadders on that one, I buy all my bait in the form of fresh seafood from sammies. You can get imported sardines there, which are just pillies in a different name, for $3/kg which is MUCH cheaper than paying $15/kg for tweed bait pilchards. food for thought ;)

just on the bream thing, give cheese a go boys because they love that shit! Make sure it's a tough rubbery cheese tho so it stays on the hook... brie or crumbly stuff wont last at all.

I always use chook breast when fishing for bream. I just add a few things to it so it lets off a small burley trail when it hits the water for the first time. The added bonus is that everything doesn't end up smelling like bait. I can't ever remember not catching at least something when using it.

popeye wrote:

I always use chook breast when fishing for bream. I just add a few things to it so it lets off a small burley trail when it hits the water for the first time. The added bonus is that everything doesn't end up smelling like bait. I can't ever remember not catching at least something when using it.

Chook is all I use lately for bream - swear by it. What sort of stuff do you add for the burley trail as sounds like a ripper idea?

u can catch the scavenger type fish on almost anything that meat of doe sort of stuff.

bream ,whiting,whitebait etc are scavengers they eat crap off the bottom .

flathead eat the little bream,whiting,whitebait etc.scavenger fish hit almost anything.like :cheese twisters etc ,lol.

fishing-mavericks wrote:

You can get imported sardines there, which are just pillies in a different name, for $3/kg which is MUCH cheaper than paying $15/kg for tweed bait pilchards

no one wants to start another debate on introducing pests/diseases via imported bait?? GOOD!!!

i fished munna point at noosa river a few years back using pilly cubes. i caught 2 bream one night and 1 flathead the next. the old bloke next to me using chicken rolled in parmesan cheese just kept pulling in the bream both nights......

psblake wrote:

popeye wrote:

Chook is all I use lately for bream - swear by it. What sort of stuff do you add for the burley trail as sounds like a ripper idea?

I mix up some bread crumbs, garlic powder and parmesen cheese (make sure you use the brand name stuff as it has a much stronger flavour than the home brand stuff).

I cut the chicken fillet into strips about 1cm square by 2cm long and soak them in water for several minutes so they are nice and moist. Then just chuck the strips in a container with the mixture and give it a good shake (make sure the lid is on nice and tight - worked that out the hard way). You're then good to go.

popeye wrote:

psblake wrote:
popeye wrote:

I mix up some bread crumbs, garlic powder and parmesen cheese (make sure you use the brand name stuff as it has a much stronger flavour than the home brand stuff).

I cut the chicken fillet into strips about 1cm square by 2cm long and soak them in water for several minutes so they are nice and moist. Then just chuck the strips in a container with the mixture and give it a good shake (make sure the lid is on nice and tight - worked that out the hard way). You're then good to go.

Thanks Popeye, when the weather clears its off to NPR to give the bream a gourmet dinner :) Sounds like the parmesan cheese and garlic is poplular hit

Yeah my old man use to swear by dough for bream.

Last year on holidays up on the noosa river he caught a bucket load of bream and flat head using dough with coon cheese mixed in it.

Wish it was that easy for me lol

zarz

psblake wrote:

Thanks Popeye, when the weather clears its off to NPR to give the bream a gourmet dinner :) Sounds like the parmesan cheese and garlic is poplular hit

Mate, just to let you know, I hit up the Pine this morning from about 9:30. Fished for just over 2 1/2 hours, using the chicken breast mixture. Ended up with 4 nice fat bream from 26cm to 33cm. Also caught 4 catties ranging from about 38cm up to 45cm.

popeye wrote:

psblake wrote:

Mate, just to let you know, I hit up the Pine this morning from about 9:30. Fished for just over 2 1/2 hours, using the chicken breast mixture. Ended up with 4 nice fat bream from 26cm to 33cm. Also caught 4 catties ranging from about 38cm up to 45cm.

Great stuff - good to see 4 good sized bream, mostly just getting little rat bream lately. Looking forward to giving your brew a go :)

psblake wrote:

popeye wrote:
psblake wrote:

Great stuff - good to see 4 good sized bream, mostly just getting little rat bream lately. Looking forward to giving your brew a go :)

G'day Popeye, gave the mixture a go on Sunday afternoon in NPR - 4 bream as well but only one cattie. 2 small rat bream and 2 between 20-25cm and this was on a lowish incoming tide, could not get near my favourite spots so looking forward to hitting my fav spots with the mixture as reacon I will do really well. Thanks heaps for the tip! :)

Archived