Tying on a HB Lure

teckee7

Please refer to the picture enclosed (I took a snap of it from the following link as I just wanted to highlight the subject of my discussion)
/>http://www.australianfishing.com.au/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=237&func=view&catid=14&id=177737

Notice how there is a clip attached to the lure (circled in RED)...

i. I assume the clip is used to make interchanging lures faster and less hassle then retying knots

ii. Are there any other pros for using this method of attaching a lure?

iii. Are there any cons for doing this?

iv. Would you apply this same method for soft plastics? [img size=783]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/tie.JPG

i have tried the clips before and didnt notice any change in lure action, i have fat fingers though and it took just as long to use a clip as it was to tie a loop knot like i normaly would i think these clips are good in the fact you wont go through leader like you would normaly if doing quite a few lure changes, as for use with SP's i havent done so but i couldnt see why not.

I have never thought to do this and it seems like a great idea and would save alot of time. The only con i can see is that the fish may see the clip and be a bit wierded out buy it. Im not sure as i have never used them but they seem to still get fish as shown in this photo.

I use clips for hard bodies to make it easier to change lures. On the medium and larger lures I cant see any difference in action. On really small bream lures I use a perfection loop. I figure the small lures present better without the clip.

The clip also comes in handy if you have to use a tackleback to retrieve a snagged lure, as the end of the lure retriever engages well with the clip.

kriso wrote:

i have tried the clips before and didnt notice any change in lure action, i have fat fingers though and it took just as long to use a clip as it was to tie a loop knot like i normaly would i think these clips are good in the fact you wont go through leader like you would normaly if doing quite a few lure changes, as for use with SP's i havent done so but i couldnt see why not.

I think that is going to be my likely choice (fact you wont go through leader like you would normaly if doing quite a few lure changes)if it doesn't affect the action of the lure. And also I can change lures faster.

i use clps for all my hard bodies, when you get to the water you never know what colour the fish have a taste for on that perticular day so it may take a few quick lure changes to find that out. if fishing at dawn or dusk, time is of the essence cause they can come on the bite and go off so quickly so being able to change lures fast is a must. i use the decoy cliups size 00 rated about 18'lb. never had one fail on me yet. someone mentioned about the fish being able to see the clip, and ive heard that alot, all i can say is if they cant see the treble attached to a split ring in front of them, then im guessing they cant see the tiny little clip.

good luck & tight lines

This is an interesting subject, and this discussion has been going on as long as lures have been in common use. I firmly believe that every piece of hardware that is added to a lure has a deterrent effect to some fish under some circumstances. We've all had plenty of occasions when a fish has followed the lure to the water's edge and hasn't been convinced enough to hit it. Something in the appearance or the action had deterrent effect on that occasion. Makes you wonder how many other fish below the surface have looked at that lure and also not been convinced.

In the '70s and 80's many lure fishermen used to remove the front treble and swore that their catch rate improved, and some even went so far as to replace the rear treble with a single hook. While I don't believe that it's justified to go to these extremes, I believe that it's up to each one of us to determine what works for us, and how much deterrent value we're willing to trade off for convenience.

If possible I always take the split rings on the line mount off, most of them have a sharp edge I am not going to risk cutting the line. Then I just use a rapala loop knot.

I prefer to use knots because it forces me to change leaders reasonably regularly as it shortens up.

I used clips for a short while after I saw Schultzy using them on one of his posts, he said that they were quicker for him to change over when the fishing was hot. Unfortunately I suffer from the same problem as Kriso -

fat fingers
. I now find tying a perfection loop easier and quicker.

teck i have just recently taken off the split rings from the tow points of all my lures and am using those clips, i figure there is no difference between them and a split ring to the fish and lately i've been retying os many times i lose my leader

i use a perfection loop to the clip and the action is fine even on sx40's

I have used a few different types, I think there are 'shogun' clips that do not have the rounded base, and the other ones (owner make one variety ), that have the rounded base.

The rounded base ismeant to give better action, personally I find they are harder to attach if you have stubby like fingers.

The other ones are easy to attach.

As for action I do not see any difference between the 2 types of clips (more hype I suspect as the cheaper non rounded ones are rated at 40lb while the rouded end ones of the same size are about 20lb).

But I do see a difference between leader weight.

If using a heavy leader on a relatively lightish lure then I find the knot (no clips) is better.

The heavy leader tied to the clip makes it stiff at the point of the knot, where as with the knot(no clip) the same point is 8 -10mm or so above the tow point.

no I wouldnt bother with a clip on softplastics but after saying that I am sure a hungry flathead would not be detered.

dave

I see it as one more thing that can go wrong, so I don't bother. But, in saying that, most of my lure fishing is done with small lures so it would affect the action a bit.

I just use a loopknot if there is no ring, otherwise, just a uni-knot to the split ring. It won't slide so it shouldn't get cut on any sharp edges.

Archived