whiting rod

coffey

I would like to buy a rod specifically for whiting and I understand that a sensitive tip is the go. But I am unsure how to interpret the meaning of 'sensitive'. Does it mean a high modulas graphite rod spooled with braid allowing the angler to feel every knock and twitch on the line (Loomis always describe their fast action rods as 'sensitive tip')or does it mean a longer soft-tipped glass rod spooled with light 4lb mono with a lot of stretch and give.

In my mind the latter is the go, where the whiting can grab the bait and run and not feel a thing until it is too late.

God, I love this site.

Get a sensitive tip from Jarvis Walker 2-4kg rod with a "Sensitive tip" you'll be able to see them in Kmart. They're quite good for their prices and for bait fishing but no good with lures as you'll need a graphite rod then. Just spool the reel you'll be using with 6lb Platypus Super 100 which is the thinnest mono out on the market I believe and isn't that expensive. :)

i have a few whiting rods that i can recomend,

1st; is a silstar pt-702nt, 2 piece rod loaded with a 2500fa seido and 4 lb shogun or lowstretch mono.

2nd; is a tica nibble tip rod, loaded with a 2500fa seido and 4 lb line as above.

also check out the black queen, cult rep with whiting and bream fisho's all over the country, and still cheap too.

i also have a few graphite numbers, but not as good to use as the trusty ol glass rods by a long way, they might cast a little further, but from a boat, thats not a problem for me, both will still get the humble blood worm out there.

got to give a rap to the black queen for a whiting rod had one for over 30yrs and they still sell them. you can pick them up quite cheap at kmart with the specials for $25 so now i've got them for my son and missus. the rod is that sensitive you can see small toad fish sucking on your bait

Archived