whats best fish landed on light tackle

tugger

my mate landed a 12kilo cobia on 2.6 kilo line on a whiting rod (black queen) it took him 50 minutes and split the line in two for about the first 100m of line. my best was a 20 kilo tuna in the bay on 6 kilo line and took me 50 minutes and it came up dead. my first trip with the missus and she drove the boat got the anchor up , couldn't have caught it with out her

124cm threadfin on 1kg braid

marlin on 8kg mono

7 kg bluefin tuna on 2 kg mono

heaps of golden trevs between 5 and 12kg on 2kg mono

5.5 kg queenfish on 2kg mono

4.5 kg gt on 2kg monno

and a hell of a lot more in 30 years of fishing silly string

92cm barra on 2kg mono

fishing-mavericks wrote:

it's the opposite to what you're asking, but my brother once caught a whiting on a whole pilchard using triple ganged 5/0 hooks. The pillie was bigger than the whiting so we're not quite sure how it happened... :silly:

Maybe it was mating season and poor little whiting didn't know his abilities :laugh:

A friend once caught a tiger shark from Shorncliffe pier on an alvey sidecast and a 10kg rod. At the time of capture, the bloke was relatively new to shark fishing and so was limited in terms of equipment. He had the alvey loaded with 80lb mono and in his wisdom took the bait out to within a few remaining wraps on the reel, bait was a whole mullet. When the shark took the bait it proceeded to head in toward the jetty rather than out to sea. This allowed for much of the line to be regained before it realsied it was hooked. Suffice to say, when this realisation was made that alvey and rod were stretched to the limit. At one point I had a turn on the rod and I could feel that even the handle was bending.

Anyways, some time later the fish emerged, tail wrapped and facing backward, those stripes easily identifiable. The fish was landed and weighed on certified scales. Amazingly it weighed in at 207kg, just on 10 feet in length. Even though the line was heavy I still rate the capture, that rod and reel were much better suited to casting pillies and prawns under the pier than chasing tigers.

Twas a great catch.

Cheers

James

big fish on light gear is the sort of fishing I live for.

Here are a few......

14.5kg spanish mackeral on 4kg pretest mono

10.5kg wahoo on 6kg pretest fishing solo

11kg whaler shark on 4kg mono

20kg (est) black marlin on 6kg pretest

19.8kg longail tuna on 6kg pretest fishing solo

4.25kg flathead on 1kg pretest

10.0kg king salmon on 2kg pretest fishing solo

Currently have 4 Australian and 8 Queensland line class records.

pretest, im guessing an ANSA member? :)

48kg bronze whaler on 6 kg in a 10 ft punt out in the shipping channel

20kg longtail 20lb braid 3500 baitrunner

18kg thready " " " " "

17kg barra " " " " "

not all that light but still some good fun

4.1kg flathead 2kg pretest

8.5kg bully 2kg pretest

4.2kg bully 1 kg pretest

80kg+ bully on 3kg pretest fought for an hour but lost in the end!! :(

What's the go with catching these big fish on light line (or is that a topic in itself?). Is it a question of taking yer time, ie letting them run, 'til they are beat? Or hoping it's an oap fish and just doesn't have the fight? Perhaps a better thread would be how many big fish landed on light gear as a ratio to big fish snapped off on light gear ;) Great thread B)B)B) Since Shorty started the ball rolling there have been some pretty spiffing reads lately :)

werewolf wrote:

wesfish wrote:

My goodness! :laugh: That is seriously outgunned! Would have been a hell of a fight. Do you reckon you were making progress, or was she just playing with you? :blink:

all i could do was motor in front of her and try and lead her head to the surface, she was an easy 1.8-2mtr bully out at kooka last year, i started at my usual spot and ended up over half way to river side, i had a couple of fellas in another boat ask me if i wanted them to gaff it, so i got her to the surface and gave them a good shot but they pooped them selves when they realised how big she was :laugh: its no yarn as i bought the pretest from charltons and took it back to show them how frayed it was after gaining line then losing it all again over and over, had to strip the whole lot off as it was stuffed..

nothing really as i can't remember what rating my line was on my old reels.

looks like 10 kg/23 lb .by the some stuff i got now that that rating,look about the same .

prob when u have been using cheap pre spooled reels for the last 20 years.

atm i seting up new gear and re spooling gear 6 lb mono or braid and 15 lb mono and braid .

wesfish wrote:

werewolf wrote:
wesfish wrote:

My goodness! :laugh: That is seriously outgunned! Would have been a hell of a fight. Do you reckon you were making progress, or was she just playing with you? :blink:

all i could do was motor in front of her and try and lead her head to the surface, she was an easy 1.8-2mtr bully out at kooka last year, i started at my usual spot and ended up over half way to river side, i had a couple of fellas in another boat ask me if i wanted them to gaff it, so i got her to the surface and gave them a good shot but they pooped them selves when they realised how big she was :laugh: its no yarn as i bought the pretest from charltons and took it back to show them how frayed it was after gaining line then losing it all again over and over, had to strip the whole lot off as it was stuffed..

what bait did the beast take?

haha i remember going into charltons a while back and they showd me your horse thready on their computer. Spent many hundreds at charltons, my local.

pinkey wrote:

wesfish wrote:
werewolf wrote:
wesfish wrote:

what bait did the beast take?

haha i remember going into charltons a while back and they showd me your horse thready on their computer. Spent many hundreds at charltons, my local.

i was using a live mullet of around 30cm, the bigger sharks out there usually prefer the mullet over the boneys,oh and charltons been my local since i was 13 :laugh: they are some top blokes !!!

pinkey wrote:

haha i remember going into charltons a while back and they showd me your horse thready on their computer.

Probably the same thready Wes has got posted at BCF Ippy:P

Wes: I don't blame the boys for getting scared with the gaff. I wouldn't gaff 2m of green shark either! :blink:

• 11 years later...

Best fish would be 

Best fish landed 69cm queenfish roughly around 5-7kg on 6lb line 6lb=2.7kg took 10 minutes to land Was using a 1000 size reel matched with a 2-4kg rod gave the drag a great workout 6lb braid 10lb leader

Second best fish landed batfish on 6lb line was 48cm long but weighed a good 7-8kg Took 28 minutes to land was using a 2500 shallow spool reel matched with a 2-4kg fast action rod 8lb braid 6lb leader. 

It was good reading this thread can’t wait to see some more reports on this thread. Can’t believe tuggers mate caught a 12kg+ cobia on a whiting rod

219478B0-FA45-4EA1-9605-5ACB8A41D248.jpeg

DEF38439-E361-4800-A996-F7BBFAFBE364.jpeg

My son caught a 77cm Tailor on a whiting rod with 1kg line. 

We had just enough time to pull in the anchor and chase it down. 

We were up at the great sandy straight in about 2 foot of water chasing whiting on the flats. It took a yabby. 

There was not much line on the reel and it went down to the knot 4 or 5 times. We got it in after about 30 mins. What a fight.