Wellington Point Sunday

tomca

It was raining at Oxley at 4 this morning, but needed to get out and wet a line. Hit the water before sunrise and was trolling hb's along the drop off between Wello and King Island. I was onto squire in the 30-40cm range as I trolled back and forth. Many thoughtful fisherman left crab pots scattered along the dropoff by the hundred (no I'm not exaggerating) so the trolling pattern was a bit of a zig zag. After the sun rose, the boaties were out in force and the fishing shut down as these boats were roaring back and forth in about 3m of water. All I managed to hook were baby pinkies, grinners and pike.

I headed out to deeper water and put deeper diving lures on and headed towards Green Island. As I approached a boat with a couple of old timers my 6lb b/c takes off on a blistering run and am dragged towards the old blokes. They quickly wound in their lines and pulled anchor and got out of my way. After about 10 minutes a nice longtail appears, about 70cm and the old guys come in to land it for me, just as the leader snapped....bugger. I thanked the old blokes and continued north. Shortly after landed a much smaller tuna.

[img size=375]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/tuna.jpg

Drifted for a while in 8m of water bouncing a plastic around and lip hooked a small mackeral, that I also lost yakside.

By 10am, the bay was not so pleasant and headed back to Wello and hooked up a great trev, but when I tried to get the net near it, it turned and sliced the leader off with its tail.

Pretty good day, plenty of action, lost only 2 lures, and only nearly got run over twice!

good stuff!, pitty about the longtail , would have been a awesome fight!!!!! i am all ready hanging out to get back to mud and get a bigger snapper ;) might try wednesday or thursday!!!! nice mack tuna !!! would like one that size to throw at the big sharks out there :laugh: :laugh:

Really, what are the chances that a jumping shark is actually going to land in your lap??

Wesfish, how bout a lift out to Mud with the yak? It gets a bit scary on your own out there in the bay mid week sitting on a piece of floating plastic.

Schmuck, the blokes were old enough to remember what respect and commonsense are. Very rare these days. Even offered me a beer afterwards.

Archived