belated glenlyon

rayke1938

We got back late wednesday afternoon and have been a bit busy since then.

The dam was down to 19% when we arrived and had dropped another metre when we left. They are releasing 350megalitres to provide a water flow down the Condamine to provide town water for the downstream towns.

The water release did not seem to affect the fishing as we consistintly caught fish.

We would troll for cod between 5.30 am till 11 am back home for lunch and rest and back out at 3 till 7.

There were only 3 legal cod caught all week and Graham Pflaum got one of them . It went 61 cm so only just made the lenghth.

We lost count of the yellowbelly we caught as bycatch probably well over 60 for the week.They really hammered the cod lures and they would really swallow the lure with lots of the fish gut hooked.

I had a ball one session repeatedly catching 40cm yellas on a small yellow and orange hotlips hardbody.The lure had a small leak and would slowly sink taking 15 seconds to sink to around 10feet.

I was casting to the edge of the weedbed and leave the lure slowly sink just giving it a twitch every now and then. Most times it would be nailed arund 4-5 feet. I also tried some soft plastics with no result.

It would be interesting to modify a couple of lures by drilling small holes in them and inserting a plug so that you could alter the charachter of the lures.

Most of the yellas were only between 35 to 40cm long. The best one went 54cm ( forgot to weigh it)with a few others around the 50cm and 2kg mark.

With the water level down we were able to see where we were catching fish last time.

Brian Dare said that when the water level drops to 5% the caves will be accessable and are definately worth while seeing.

The roos are really thick we lost count at 200 while sitting on verandah one evening. Also plenty of feral goats and emus there.

We will be going back there again to have another go for the elusive cod but next time it will be at full moon and hopefully not when they are releasing water.

Feral will attach some photos.

Ray

Explanation of photos.

1 & 2

Pet goanna always ready for a feed, This one was only small compared to the monster that lived at the cleaning tables. He has learnt how to overturn the 12 gallon rubbish tins so he can more easily find the small tit bits.

3,4 &5

Launching area. Note the brown which is dead weed from the falling water level. Also the narrow gap through the weed bed. We had to stop and give the motor a rev in reverse to blow the weed off the prop otherwise we couldnt get on the plane.

Goat

Small Yella

Find the hotlips

21 & 22

More goats

Graham with yella

Dont they love the hotlips.

This is where we caught a lot of fish in September.

Had over 20 feet of water then. Should have gone for a walk we may have found some of the gear we lost in the snags.

Graham with his cod.:sick: ( I am jealous as buggery ) Note the lure local made one supposed to be really deadly at night as the white spots are luminous.

Storm coming . Gave us inch of rain and hail. We came in before it hit couple of blokes stayed out and said very hairy strong winds and waves over 1 metre.Bald headed bloke had some interesting scabs on his head next day.

28 & 29

Part of the contigent of hums that were waiting for us to come home and give them a feed.

30 & 31

Fishy looking snags with 20 - 30 feet of water around them. lots of locals just tie up to a tree and baitfish and wait for fish to come to them.There are heaps of shrimp in the dam we just used one trap and used to get 4 - 5 handfulls of large shrimp out of the one trap.

Free firewood and free chainsaw.

View from dam wall showing low water level.

Good stuff Ray, tell Graham I said \"nice cod, I know he was holding it but who caught it?\"

Guess we need rain. The ramp looked a bit yuk.

60 YB's is good going in anyone's language.

Yeap I gotta get there soon. What happens when it gets to 5% abd the caves are there. Does that mean we can fish inside the caves? Do the fish stll bite?

Post edited by: Brian D, at: 2007/01/20 02:35

Brian

The main cavern is about 180 feet high. The fish do not enter the cave but there are plenty of shrimp and yabbys in there. Brian Dare said that the native fish will not enter the cave as they are afraid they will be trapped but if there were carp or tilapia there they would enter it.

Ray

Archived