Straddie Easter

Malcolm

I'll start this of and Angus will add photo's and his take on things when he returns.

Friday We went out of Dunwich in the yaks to a spot I suggested and got stuff all apart from a few Moses Perch and baby pinkies.

Then Saturday I didn't fish, Angus and Ian cleaned up but I'll let him tell you about that.

Sunday met up with Angus and Ian to Deadmans Beach and I got three nice Whiting and again Angus and Ian cleaned up with Whiting big Dart and Bream. Which we had for dinner Sunday night along with the prawns and Crabs they won at the pub washed down with a hundred drinks. B)

I had a bloody ball that night thanks to Angus and his family, the funniest night I've had ages. :laugh: :laugh:

Oh I forgot I got a 40ish Flattie of the beach on Friday.

Top weekend

It was an awesome holiday Malcolm agreed.

Aside from cleaning up on the bread and butter species I finally got onto some good fish on slugs as well. On Tuesday and Wednesday the weather really improved making the rock fishing a lot better. Using slugs up to 40 grams I managed 2 GT's (biggest 47cm), 1 Big Eye Trev at 32cm and around 10 tailor. Sorry lost count on them :) Biggest tailor was 48cm and fought very well on spin. As Dad had left I had pinched his Shimano Fire Blood 4000 on custom Loomis rod for this which was awesome for the job. All slug caught fish released except for 3 tailor I am trying out in the smoker.

Wednesday morning before we left we put in one last Whiting, Bream and Dart sessions as well for a good feed tonight.

Ill put up pictures when I borrow dads camera. Sadly I dont have any pictures after dad left as my camera is still dead to world after my maroon trip.

Overall my best rock fishing session yet at Straddy with well over 100 fish caught for both pelagics and bread and butter species.

Cheers.

Angus

Edit: Oh yeah so for a total species count we got:

Squire

Moses Perch

Grinner

Bream

Grassy Sweetlip

Whiting

Dart

Trevally (Big Eye & GT)

Tailor

bmxdirtjumpa wrote:

sounds like a heap of fun!...what rocks were you fishing off?

Due to the weather mostly the Deadmans side of the Cylindar headland.

However on the last couple of days from Dune Rocks. (Between Deadmans and Frenchmans).

Angus

Dad with a 40cm + Dart.

These fish are massively underated as a sports fish. They fight hard and dirty. They get in waves and turn side on causing a lot more pressure on the drag than their actual weight can account for. Bled right away and skinned they are also excellent eating.

. [img size=400]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/5-8572481687de047e5b03e9e2d5cb6048.JPG

post-63-144598490598_thumb.jpg

Do$tylz wrote:

oh man... that spot looks awesome. I'm loving the rock fishing these days after my mini stint at Bundy. I'm gonna have to make the trip to straddie some time soon.

Yeah man its good fun.

Thats pretty tame rock fishing though. Dune Rocks, The Terraces, Cylindar Headland etc are all pretty tame in any weather.

I like Point lookout a lot but its a bit hairier. The hairy for this trip especially with pre dawn starts.

Angus

Archived