Ideas for a new high-end baitcaster outfit

Terry H

Well, it's come time for planning a new outfit. This time it's another baitcaster outfit. I've got the steez for lighter bass fishing etc. This time it's for larger foe, like barramundi and large murray and mary cod, and probably threadies etc.

Currently I'm thinking along the lines of a Daiwa Zillion HLC (Hyper Long Cast) and running 20-25lbs braid.

The blank I'm looking at, whilst I don't have specific details like blank #, is a high end StCroix SCV 7' rod 14-25lbs FAST taper. There certainly won't be any short cuts on this rod, and hopefully Lee doesn't mind putting up with my requirements as it will certainly be a bling filled rod ;) I've already got a number of ideas when using the Zillion HLC!

Does anyone else have any opinion on this reel, or another reel? I really dislike the big circular baitcasters. Must be low profile!

you'll probably want a softer rod for threadies than you would for barra to be honest man or it might be a bit easy to pull hooks

have you considered a calcutta? although they arent low profile they certainly feel it, they are not bulky at all and are an excellent reel

Threadfin Salmon are not high on my to catch list. My life doesn't revolve around them like some people (not directing that at anyone in particular) and as such I'm not building a rod for them. I only said "probably" for them for a reason, it's a rod mainly for the likes of barra. I like the fast action st croix rods when working lures. To further the use, next year for jacks is probably another example of future use.

On the reel front, I have not considered calcutta, I don't like it. Like I said, it must be low profile :) I can gaurantee they do not fit in the hand like a low profile, which is exactly what I'm after.

Thanks for your thoughts though nadder!

here is a small round bait caster. between low and round actually.

/>http://www.tackletour.com/reviewdaiwapluton.html

also i do like my abu garcias have you looked at the abu garcia winch. 175 of 12lb and a 5.4:1 ratio good for winching in those monsters from the brush pile and it has a drag rated to 24 lbs. also saltwater corrosion resistant. and at 199 us dollars isnt going to break the bank.

here is the review for the revo. its basically a revo inshore with more hpcr bearings.

/>http://www.tackletour.com/reviewabugarcia2009reelsprepg2.html

i guess then you might want to look at chronarch or calais (though the dc will break your bank 999 on motackle)

i always thought that shimano were a little better at baitcasters than daiwa (can of worms opened)

only comparison in the same price range i have is a daiwa megaforce vs shimano corvalus which are both on the lower end of the price scale and the corvalus sh$ts all over the daiwa

The calais and zillion are both sweet as top of the line reels. Big barra can be caught on either, they handle light to med reef and the likes of longtails. Just a matter of preference. The calais DC would be one to look at if your budget can stretch it, supposedly it is a huge advantage. The heartland is also one to look at, doesn't have the hyper cast but all the bearings are corrosion resistant so it is a dedicated saltwater model. Daiwa BC reels are 150 size where shimano standard is 200 so they will be a bit bigger.

Adjusting the drag would take the sting out of a rampaging threadie, especially as they seem to be caught mostly along flats and not tight into structure like jacks and barra.

tackletour.com do some very solid quality reviews and on a much wider range of gear than we get here, it is definitely worth checking them out and also talking to a good tackle store, like tackle warehouse (brissies biggest) and jones's tackle

toadievoluzion wrote:

pluton's a HUGE baitcaster.

but its a bruiser of a reel. i love how everything is machined and not cast or extruded. but for price range and sheer brute force in a low profile i like the revo winch. small light and strong as hell. i have an sx and it casts light lures into wind beautifully. but it has a mag control while the winch has a centrifugal cast control. but ive always found the abus to be more forgiving than the shimanos. my friend who is an avid bass fisherman used to have all his cumaras(8) with shimano reels from the core 100 mg to calais reels. all of them are now revo premiers and revo skeet reeses. he loves them and he uses a revo winch for his flippin stick. so for the price u get alot with the revos. just my 02 cents

lucky you. i would get hell from the mrs. "if you can spend that much on fishing you can spend that much for jewelry". the skeet reese and the premiere both have 12 lb drag stacks. thats why im opting for the revo winch. salt water resistance is also a main concern for me. also the winch has a bit wider handle than the premiere and reese.

HookedOnTackle wrote:

In one tackle store i asked about the revo's and they said the 24lb drag pressure is not far off the limit the reel can handle. Just not the kind of thing you want to hear when chasing powerful fish obviously.

in this tackle review they said the fisherman from asia are using the revos to catch sail fish i dont know if that is a bad thing or not but it speaks alot for the power in a small reel.

/>http://www.tackletour.com/reviewbagweight.html

moderator note:guys please keep the thread on track, it is about reel suggestions not fishing methods, please start a new thread or resort to PM to continue this discussion. there are going to be alot of opinions on this topic so we need to keep it clean to make it easy enough to follow.

regards

Kriso

had a look at some st criox rods, found them heavy and overpriced, but the weight of em, hmmm. if you want a realy nice rod, see gary howard, get him to build ya 1. you won't look back, he will also take the time to talk you through the process. you won't be sorry you did. myself i would not hesitate to by a gary howard rack rod, let alone a u beaut 1 from him.

actually rob my favourite rod right now is a gary howard rack rod, glass 4-8 kilo snapper rod bought it for 160

its the only rod i've found with exactly the action i want, soft tip plenty of give but a really raw backbone if you give em stick, perfect for the salmon i use it on

Rob, while Gary Howard probably builds a high quality rod, I am not going to pay the extremely high price he asks for them. My shark rod for example. Why pay $800 when a mate can build an equally brilliant rod with the same components for half the price? Lee does a bloody good job with rod builds. I should show you my st croix rod some day rob, it's far from heavy. even with the reel the whole outfit is extremely light. Overpriced? Premade maybe, components I don't think so. They're up there with the best rods in my opinion.

Thanks Tom.

Lee and I were talking to Matty Mott at Awoonga last year. He seems to rate the Daiwa Zillion Crazy Crank (super slow) reel for working slick rigs back, and other than that the Daiwa Zillion HLC. So obviously given his status in fishing it must be worth some sort of value!

TerryH wrote:

Thanks Tom.

Lee and I were talking to Matty Mott at Awoonga last year. He seems to rate the Daiwa Zillion Crazy Crank (super slow) reel for working slick rigs back, and other than that the Daiwa Zillion HLC. So obviously given his status in fishing it must be worth some sort of value!

You have too remember motty is sponsed by dawia so for sure he will say that. You ask the

taylor brother (cj and kerrin) the best in the barra game what they use and it wont be dawia their sponsed by shimano you really just have to get out and give them a go and see what you like and what feels good for you

Yeah I have always wondered that Terry, every bit of advice you get about fishing for barra etc, is super slow retrieves, just enough to work the lure, slow troll speeds etc etc. Yet all the reels are spruced on their retrieve rates and high ratio's! The advertising must be aimed at all all those tuna fishermen!, not real fisho's! ;)

Plastic Man, yea I realise that.

But also, yo uhave to wonder if they would accept a sponsorship from Daiwa? (The Taylor brothers that is) Or if someone sponsored by Daiwa would accept a Shimano sponsorship deal. Do you know which reels they (Taylors) use in particular? I was trying to find out, but haven't seen anything so far :S

Feral, if I had a lot of cash to burn I would probably be inclinded to get the HLC and Crazy Crank so that I have a super slow reel for those applications that require it.

In the end, I will probably even end up with that. Right now I just feel the slightly faster HLC is probably more versatile than the crazy crank.

Will have to check out the Calais some time.

Archived