best lures to use.

apoklyps60

okay im gonna be there july. i want to find out what type of hard bodied lures to use for the bream and the tailor. also what sp's would you guys recommend? size color and jig head size? and what local shops to woodridge would i be able to get these lures? most i may load up here in the US but im also thinking bout baggage weight. also how cold does it get there? during these times. do i need to bring rain gear also? thanks for all the info in advance. fish on guys

vin

for bream, anything around 40mm in a hardbody. Tailor will take larger lures. Lures with a nice tight action are my preference.

For winter here, jeans and jumper are usually enough. But a jacket to keep the south westerly winds out is advised.

our winters here get to about 4.5 celcius. shorts weather is at 16-17c for us. so where does the temp fall over there? thanks. sorry for the stupid questions i have 2 suitcasses allotted to me and one of them is strictly for fishing. the other is for clothes that has to last 3 weeks.lol.

I came over from the UK last July (winter here) and thought it was way hot and was larfing at the Ozzies in their jumpers and coats (conversely I was always singled out as a Pom, in the shorts and in the complex pool!!), but after doing a Summer I am now feeling cold in the evenings and will have to dig out my jeans and jumpers that I hope I packed! Acclimitisation is a bitch, I was expecting to be hot all year! Even got the doona (quilt to most people not Ozzie!) out the other day!! Where in the US are you coming from? Late night at Colmslie sees a dew on all yer tackle, so rust can be a problem.....

In reply to your topic

Atomic crank minow - clear to holographic colors

viking crank minows - any color, brown with spots is good.

Jackal chubby- clear with stripes or some variation.

sx40

rapala xrap -(bit big for bream)

sx60 - (bit big for bream)

I have had sucess with all these styles of lures with Bream cod,and flathead.

Jew, trevs, and threadfin will also take these lures, but the smaller ones are suited for bream.

also check out the TT switchblades in 1/8 (good size for bream) and 1/4 (big for bream) and the vibes from brands like bassday and similar styles.

(myself?, never caught a thing on a vibe but they are popular)

Taylor hit somthing fast and shiney, lots of glitter and shine, they are midwater to surface feeders (ask the local BCF, they will show you a range for Taylor).

soft plastics minows worked mid water to surface fairly aggressively will work but if they are biting hard the Taylor will go through em pretty fast.

If at WOODRIDGE I would go to BCF at Moss st , Slacks creek (one of my fav outlets), no I am not plugging them, I genuinely enjoy going to that shop.

Yes bring a rain coat..LOL

don't want to get wet if it rains ;)

dave

MoparKevUk wrote:

I came over from the UK last July (winter here) and thought it was way hot and was larfing at the Ozzies in their jumpers and coats (conversely I was always singled out as a Pom, in the shorts and in the complex pool!!), but after doing a Summer I am now feeling cold in the evenings and will have to dig out my jeans and jumpers that I hope I packed! Acclimitisation is a bitch, I was expecting to be hot all year! Even got the doona (quilt to most people not Ozzie!) out the other day!! Where in the US are you coming from? Late night at Colmslie sees a dew on all yer tackle, so rust can be a problem.....

im coming from southern california and our heat is a dry heat but can get to 118f which is 48c. all the reels im bringin are saltwater resistant. both abu garcias. thanks for the forewarning

davefishmad wrote:

In reply to your topic

Atomic crank minow - clear to holographic colors

viking crank minows - any color, brown with spots is good.

Jackal chubby- clear with stripes or some variation.

sx40

rapala xrap -(bit big for bream)

sx60 - (bit big for bream)

I have had sucess with all these styles of lures with Bream cod,and flathead.

Jew, trevs, and threadfin will also take these lures, but the smaller ones are suited for bream.

also check out the TT switchblades in 1/8 (good size for bream) and 1/4 (big for bream) and the vibes from brands like bassday and similar styles.

(myself?, never caught a thing on a vibe but they are popular)

Taylor hit somthing fast and shiney, lots of glitter and shine, they are midwater to surface feeders (ask the local BCF, they will show you a range for Taylor).

soft plastics minows worked mid water to surface fairly aggressively will work but if they are biting hard the Taylor will go through em pretty fast.

If at WOODRIDGE I would go to BCF at Moss st , Slacks creek (one of my fav outlets), no I am not plugging them, I genuinely enjoy going to that shop.

Yes bring a rain coat..LOL

don't want to get wet if it rains ;)

dave

thanks for the information. i was thinkin bout bringin some storme 3" swimbaits from here 1/2 ounce. but the hardbaits i was planin on getting there when i touch down. thanks again and i cant wait to get there.

boz wrote:

i got an rapala lc its about 200mm long and greenish in colour and have good results with talor 16lb mainline and 40lb leader with swivle on leader and lure

do i need to use heavy line like that? do they have teeth that bite through like sharks? for the light rod im using an 8lb pe line with a 10lb flouro leader and the heavy 15lb pe line with 15-25lb flouro leaders. thanx for the info

ellicat wrote:

Ray (Rayke1938) has had some issues with Australian Customs bringing in some soft plastics (Berkley Gulps ???) before. It may pay to check before you pack.

yeah i will but its because it was considered real bait. the lures im bringin are shad shaped plastics. and it doesnt say outfishes live bait. lol. but i will double check with quantas. thanks for the heads up.

Sx-40's, Sx-40's, Sx-40's, Sx-40's, Sx-40's, Sx-40's, Sx-40's, Sx-40's, Sx-40's, Sx-40's, Sx-40's, Sx-40's, Sx-40's, Sx-40's, Sx-40's, Sx-40's, Sx-40's, Sx-40's, Sx-40's, Sx-40's, Sx-40's, Sx-40's, Sx-40's, Sx-40's, Sx-40's, Sx-40's, Sx-40's, Sx-40's, Sx-40's, Sx-40's, Sx-40's, Sx-40's, Sx-40's, Sx-40's, Sx-40's, Sx-40's, Sx-40's, Sx-40's, Sx-40's, Sx-40's, Sx-40's, Sx-40's, Sx-40's, Sx-40's, Sx-40's, Sx-40's, Sx-40's, Sx-40's, Sx-40's, Sx-40's, Sx-40's, Sx-40's, Sx-40's, Sx-40's, Sx-40's, Sx-40's, Sx-40's, Sx-40's, Sx-40's, Sx-40's, Sx-40's, Sx-40's, Sx-40's, Sx-40's, Sx-40's, Sx-40's, Sx-40's, Sx-40's, Sx-40's, Sx-40's, Sx-40's, Sx-40's, Sx-40's, Sx-40's, Sx-40's, Sx-40's, Sx-40's, Sx-40's, Sx-40's, Sx-40's, Sx-40's, Sx-40's, Sx-40's, Sx-40's, Sx-40's, Sx-40's, Sx-40's, Sx-40's, Sx-40's, Sx-40's, Sx-40's, Sx-40's, Sx-40's, Sx-40's, Sx-40's, Sx-40's, maybe a swithblade or two and some sp's.. but i cant stress enough on the Sx-40's :blink:

sx40s weigh stuff all about3or 4 grams i think

a light rod about say 4lb line class will be great fun for bream and the average tailor

the tailor are clean fighters with amazing teeth a mouth full of razzors basically if you use wire you hardly get a bite.

the bream can be a dirty fighter but no where near the teeth they have peg like teeth for smashing small crustacheans.

flathead a worthy bycatch have a few teeth at the front and they saw side to side when you lift their head out of the water and cut the line they also have spikes on the end of their gill covers beware.

im a expommie and love winter here now on most days shorts and shirt are fine sometimes a jumper and jeans on a crumby day and a rainy day is a rainy day but shit it really rains here not the endless rain you get in england you get 2 weeks worth in five minutes here

jason

yep... if you have a light combo that'll be a must to bring. 1-3kg or 2-4 rod, 2000size reel, 4,6 or 8 lb line.

sx-40's are quite light... 4/5gm??

Our weather is pretty similar to So-Cal. I've never been in winter, but from the summer's and autumns they're pretty close. You'll be right in the midst of winter when you get here, so if you're planning to night or early morning fish a few jumpers will be good.

I was down Ballina last week and was hooking a few around 4lb at night time.

15lb leader bit clean off, 30lb worked but only just.

Definitely 40lb leader and 8-15 lb braid.

I was using jerk shads worked from the bottom to midwater to the surface, but they got chopped up easily, It was all I had at the time, as I was after a Jewie.

Big Taylor have big teeth and there just might be a few big ones around the beaches.

also I would not match too light a braid with 40 lb leader as it might have a cutting effect on the line, so 12 - 15 lb braid.

dave

Archived