spoiled ground

straddiebrad

yes mate i have, got my first snapper at that magic weight. took me like 5/6 years though, it was the foul off mud island. good fish to be caught there if you do everything right and have patience. also got a very big jew off the foul over near lucinda bay.

noname wrote:

yes mate i have, got my first snapper at that magic weight. took me like 5/6 years though, it was the foul off mud island. good fish to be caught there if you do everything right and have patience. also got a very big jew off the foul over near lucinda bay.
not sure where it is i heard about this place at the tinny show and as i just got my chip for the gps i saw it on there,i thought it was up from the rouse channel . brad

spoil grounds are old rubbish dumps

the garbage scows went down the river and out to the spoil grounds and dumped everything over the side

they stopped doing this in the 1950s

my old man tells some great stories about venturing in there with the trawler by accident

and bringing up a cod end full of crap

the oldtimers reckon that when they were in use the spoil grounds were the ultimate place to fish for sharks in the bay

If you are tlaking about around the rouse it is probably the spoil grounds north of harrys (Atkinson artificial reef) If you know the 22m section near there and run roughly north it will rise into mid high teens and show ridging. Find the more solid areas rather than the mud and your in with a show.

Archived