Treble size

ellicat

What treble size should I buy to upgrade the standard one's they use on the lures I'm collecting for the Monduran barra ?

As far as brand goes, I take it Owner is the way to go ?

Thanks in advance :ta:

Also, What do you think of these items for Barra ?

Curado '08 - CU200E5 (decided to give baitcasters a go :unsure: )

Suffix Performance Braid - 30lb Green

Tough Flurocarbon Leader - 40lb .60mm

Owner ST-76TN - 4/0

Tierra - Cork Handle - TR 601MHFB ; Cast ; 6' 1pce ; Med/Heavy ; 10-17lb

All spot on except the hooks.

VMC 6X in size 1 or size 2 will do for 99% of your lures (a lot cheaper to) and dont forget the rings as well.Halco size 4's are just big enough, but a bit of a pain, go with slightly bigger (internal diameter, not strength) with size 5's.

These hooks http://www.motackle.com.au/index.cfm?pr=product&product_id=573

These rings (50lb size 5, lighter strength than the halco's, but you cant get Halcos over size 4 for love or money)

http://www.motackle.com.au/index.cfm?pr=product&product_id=1142

Also while your there have a look in the specials they have blue fox barra lures for $8, and on the main page classic barra lures for $11.

The classic barra in guns and roses was one of the gun lures last trip. (Colour A in the halco scorpion was the other)

Dont forget to check out your local Big W, which have a limited range of the brand name barra lures, but the cheapest prices you will find anywhere for what they have.

Brian

Do a search on one of my old posts " twisted leader how to "

If you are going to be fishing in the timber a twisted leader is near essential as they are much more resistant to break off due to rubbing against the timber. If you fray a single leader it will break whilst if you have a twisted leader made of say 4 strands of 10 lb you will normally only break one strand and still have a leader of 30 lb left.

Cheers

Ray

nice mate, im going the curado as well should have mine in couple of weeks and running it on a barra raider single piece thats similiar in spec to your tierra. not sure wich braid but will probably spend a bit more then i normaly do for that so i can get a higher rating with a thinner diametre to get more on , the drag on the curado is friggen beefy and nice and smooth so should be sweet there! i will have a range of leaders with as well.

only ever fished for them at bli bli. and when the lad behind the counter gave me the hooks to use, i nearly hit him. looked like hooks for targetting black bream, and they seemed to do the job i a must admit. it's like the complete opposite to what you would use for wild barra for some reason. 6lb line and sfa drag was also recomended, but it worked. i would recomend a reel with a very smooth drag, and plenty of it if fishing light.eg 30 lb

Hey Ellicat, I would also change the brand of braid. I am thinking along the lines of 50lb Fins in Yellow : Basically for better casting as it's a bit wider diamater and it's much high in the strength column! Everything else seems to be intact though.

ellicat wrote:

Thanks for the replies and advice. Will put it to good use in November hopefully :woohoo:

Just have to figure out what the best - - - - - - - - is :laugh:

a big esky full of piss and heaps of smokes, maybe a boat ride. :lol:

Archived