Brissy River & Oxley Creek

trace77

Hey guys, thanks for the advice...sounds like an awesome spot. Just wondering, what gear and set up would you recommend using? I've moved up from melbourne recently and would like to do alot more fishing as I haven't really had much experience fishing over here...your tips and pointers will be most valuable...

;) as long as you have a wire trace on you should be fine. The shark i caught was a real let down in fighting, so i would definately go less then 20lb line. about 6/0 hooks will get you sharks and eels at oxley, i suppose you could go smaller, but if you go too small they may miss your hooks. Also, i recommend taking a light rod if you go to oxley, there is heaps of bream around to keep you entertained while the predatory fish come in!:silly:

Tim

BIG DAVE 1 wrote:

Man its a great spot i fished there numerous times. Just make sure u go after 5pm cause the canoeing queesnland guys arent there. Allthough you can take my approach and tell the guy to suck you D***. :angry:

DAVE

Hey Big D, love your style! One way or another (depending where you happen to be fishing) there's always someone out to spoil the fun, either rangers or fitness freaks or swimmers or...Hey, I was fishing the pier at Hervey Bay 3 or 4 years ago in January and hooked this 6 or 7 foot shark about 100m from a beach full of swimmers; gotta tell ya, the boot was sure on the other foot that day - I've never seen a beach empty so quick!!

Trace: I would also reccommend scrolling through the older Brisbane River Fishing Reports in the forum. There are a few useful reports from Oxley Creek you may find interesting.

Also in the hints and tips section. Big Dave has actually written an article on Small Shark fishing in the Brisbane River.

Good luck and let us know how you go!

Angus

Archived