Lucinda Fishing Trip

Stinger

Lucinda Fishing Trip

Just spent 6 days fishing Lucinda area (Hinchinbrook Channel) with Reef raider and Graham.

After an 18 hour drive towing the Makocraft we arrived at our accommodation in Lucinda.

I had booked a 4 bedroom house 600 metres from the Pub. It has 2 queens and 4 king single beds with plenty of yard room for a couple of boats and amply fridge/ freeze space for those that can crack it with the fishing.

This turned out to be great accommodation and I recommend it to any one who is planning a trip to Lucinda in the future. The house was booked through Ray White at Ingham and was at 5 Ferrier St Lucinda. $575 p/w + $100 refunable bond.

Well on to the fishing.

Got to the ramp around 6 am on the Saturday and man what a line up. I think every fisherman in the area had decided to go out that morning.

We ended up launching the boat and parking the car 1.5 Kim away at the loader terminal with me motoring around to pick the other guys up from there.

Headed to the end of the loader terminal around 6klm out and started to fish with soft plastics and lures. Graham was the first to get hit with the drag squealing and a big smile on the dial.

He fought the fish for around 10 minutes only to loose it with the hook being straightened.

Spend another 2 hours there with a few more large hits but no fish boated.

There were two other boats out there and they were having the same results.

Decided to have a change of tactics and head up the channel to investigate some of the creeks, stopping on the way to throw a few slugs around when we saw fish working a couple of bait schools. This produced a few small Trevallies but nothing to write home about.

Went into Sunday creek and put the 3 crab pots we had with us in one of the large drains.

Now the deck was cleared we could start doing a bit of lure chucking around the mangroves.

Well to cut the story down we caught a few Grunter Bream, Trevally, Cod, Pike and a sea snake.

The snake got a bit aggressive while I was trying to dislodge the lure from his body.

Ended up pulling the pin around 4pm and back to the ramp at 5.

Again a big line up at the ramp with a cop trying to keep every body honest and of course the mandatory breathalyser.

The air sea rescue guys went to launch the boat to go out to check on a boat that couldn’t get in the channel for lack of water only to be told by the cop that it was not an emergency so he could get to the back of the line.

The next 2 days went much like the first day with tactical changes such as fishing live bait and using poppers to chase up a few Queenies and Trevally.

We had some big bust offs with 1 being a large Mangrove Jack bitting the hook of before we could land it.

I had only 1confirmed hit from a barra on a lure and I only know it was a Barra because I saw it hit the lure.

I had an old mate come up from Townsville for a days fishing with us on the Tuesday.

Thought as he had fished this water for a lot of years and was well known for his Barra skills we might get a few pointers off him.

He suggested we try live baiting around some of the large snags in the creeks as these should hold some good Barra and Jacks. We spend most of the day fishing the snags but besides 2 big hits we couldn’t even land a cat fish.

Maybe they just weren’t on the chew.

The last 2 days of the trip saw us again having no success on the Barra or Jacks but still landing a few Queenies and Trevally as well as a feed of crabs.

Had one last trip out to the end of the loader terminal but the swell and chop made it near impossible to fish it.

While the trip did not produce the target species we were after it was still a great experience with some good fishing companions, fantastic location, a few nice fish landed and a few croc photos I’m sure we can overlook those disappointing moments.

I will definitely organise another trip in the future and with us now having done a lot of exploring and hopefully having a better knowledge of the area we should be able to be a bit more productive next time.

Loader Terminal At Sunrise

LoaderTerminalAtSuinrise.jpg

Getting a few livies

GettingSomeBait.jpg

Fishing One of the drains in Sunday Creek

FishingOneOfTheDrainsInSundayCreek.jpg

Fat Little Bream

FatLittleBream.jpg

Jake with little Trevally

JakewithsmallTrevally.jpg

Trevally

Trevally.jpg

Small Threadie

SmallThreadie.jpg

Sea Snake

SeaSnake.jpg

Undersize Grunter Bream

UndersizeGrunterBream.jpg

Grahams Queenie

GrahamsQueenie1.jpg

Grahams Queenie 2

GrahamsQueenie2.jpg

Hooked up to another Queenie

HookedUpOnOntherQueenie.jpg

There's a Croc over there

Croc1.jpg

Croc 2

Croc2.jpg

Croc 3

Croc3.jpg

Croc4

Croc4.jpg

sounds like an awsome trip that was enjoyed by every one who went. Staying in a house kicks ass over camping especialy that close to the pub. love fishing with the crocs up there. you got some good photos of em great report with advice even whre to stay for accom. like it alot ;)

great report mate!!!!! a top read!!! and quality pics!!!!, that sounds like a nice house...i am heading up to tailors beach in a month or 2 which is south of lucinda!!!

i only have to pay for boat and car fuel and food costs, with a mate that lives very close to the ramp up there!!! i cant wait to fly up there and get into them!!!!

nice report

bet u guys had a good time

dam the loading terminal goes a long way out.

one of my little bro's was up that way about 2 months ago .

hinchinbrook passage,cardwell area ,went right up to dunk island,similar fish caught and some sharks ,they luved getting the queenies.

they drove up a 3 or 4 of them and hired a big boat and a 14 foot tinny and had a ball.

next trip they are flying .they where over the driving idea by the time they got home.

Archived