Beginners Luck NPD 8 May 09

Rocket75

I’ve been trying to get my mate into freshwater fishing since I caught the bass bug a few years back. I finally got him out for a lure session today at NPD and stuff me if he didn’t go and out-fish me for my troubles!

Due to circumstances and commitments we didn’t make it onto the water till 10.00am but I was happy to be out in the nice warm sun instead of the chill of early mornings on the dam. My only previous excursion onto NPD by boat was for a quick 2 hour session that saw us there at start of play (6.00am) and let me tell you, the water was mighty cold on the toes! That outing got us no fish at all, so I was hoping some warmer water might be the ticket.

After explaining the tackle and lure selections to my mate Geoff (also my boss!) we trolled our way out towards the main basin with a variety of lures in the water.

The tackle-back once again proved its worth with long grass proving to be a lure magnet and a real pain in the bum.

No fish for an hour or so of trolling and we changed tactics and cast spinnerbaits into the shallows close to the banks.

After a few different spots Geoff was still dubiously casting away with his spinnerbait when I hear “something had a go at...I’m on!â€

A short fight ensued with the bass trying to head into the weeds when it saw the boat.

I had warned Geoff that the bass go hard, so drags were set accordingly and we were prepared when the time came.

Taking care to keep his fingers clear of the 10lb braid line (if you’ve only ever used mono that’s a lesson best learnt early) he handled the fish well on my 2-5kg Shakespeare graphite rod and matching reel.

I did the honors and lifted aboard the first fish of the morning and congratulated Geoff on his maiden bass. At 39cm he was pretty happy and so was I.

[img size=235]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/NPD_8_May_09_002.jpg

I just love seeing people catch a good fish, it’s almost as much fun as getting them yourself. Almost!

It took a brown/gold skirted TT spinnerbait fitted with a stinger hook and a soft plastic tail. The tail was one of the samples given out by Steve Wilkes at the AFO Winter Camp last year at Maroon.

We covered the successful ground again, only to lose my only other spinnerbait. Bugger, Geoff was up 1-0 and had the only spinnerbait now, so I decided it was time for some more trolling.

We worked all different depths with a wide variety of lure configurations but we could not get any of the fishy shaped things on the sounder to come and play with us.

Having a limited time on the water we got about half way to the boundary and turned for home with a few stops for casting at likely looking terrain.

It wasn’t until we made the final turn to the arm where the boat ramp is located that we got our second fish of the morning.

As we entered the mouth of the bay Geoff’s rod (my 4-7kg Mojiko Ironbark + Okuma reel loaded with 15lb braid) gets a real good bend in it and we are in business.

This fish comes in easy to start with but once again goes ape boatside.

The small Stumpjumper that it had attacked was lodged sideways in its gob so I was a bit worried that the hooks would pull, but it stayed on, and after giving me an impromptu shower it joined us for some photos and a quick release.

This time I showed Geoff the correct way to hold his 46cm bass to avoid damage to both parties, and as you can see from the pictures he was just like Big Kev...excited!

Another trolling pass over the same area proved fruitless and we made it back to the ramp at 2.00pm ready for some lunch (because someone forgot the snacks!)

I learnt the hard way that it’s a good idea to wear shoes for the lengthy walk back up to the car from the ramp...the road surface is very rough and uncomfortable on bare feet (or perhaps I’m just soft).

Bumped into a few familiar faces at the ramp (Shayned and Dino) then with catch card completed we headed for the hills and our appointment with the bakery.

I just hope I get a chance at a return match soon, as I will be hearing about the 2-0 result for ever!

Thanks for reading.

Rocket

post-953-144598492204_thumb.jpg

tacklebox wrote:

Very nice to let your boss outfish you Rocket. Imagine if you caught 2 and the boss caught 0 :unsure:

Yea imagine if you outfished the boss.... all that extra fishing time you would have due to unemployment!

I think I might need to hire Rod for a couple of quiet lessons on fresh water stuff, before we head off in November to what ever that dam is called again :P :woohoo: :S :dry: :laugh:

Archived