Ideal Battery for 44lb Watersnake

Whiskers

Hey all just chasing some advice concerning amp draw

I have a 44lb bow mount watersnake on a 3.5 mtr tinny and am a bit confused about what battery to get?

On the jarvis website it says the motor has 40amp draw, I spoke to a really helpfull guy at bias virginia who told me I need 100amp deep cycle minimum which arn't cheap then I was informed I needed a 10amp charger which isn't cheap either

So...

1 - Could I run the motor for a 3hr on average session with a car battery?

2 - How long would the battery last roughly?

3 - Can it damage the watersnake?

Keeping in mind the leccy is just for little trolls and hitting snags , Have outboard for getting out there and back.

PS. will get the charger magnito doowacker installed at 10hr service will this contribute?

Any feedback would be very helpfull and cheers in advance :ta:

Cam.

You wont damage the watersnake but the battery will not last very long as a car battery is not designed for continious discharge. Do yo mean that you will be using the leccy continiously for 3 hours or only intermittently for a 3 hour fishing session/

If only intermittent you would get away with a car battery but it still wouldnt last long.

What is the output of the charge circuit on your outboard? Unless its an efi 4 stroke I suspect it will only be a few amps and not sufficient to maintain charge for your battery.There is a lot of info on the site already if you do a bit of research.

Cheers

Ray

The bloke from Bias is pretty much on the money. If you use a car battery, it might last 3 or 4 trips before being totally stuffed, if your lucky.

Car batteries are not meant to be discharged like deep cycle batteries are.

A 100 amp hour battery would probably last you half a day, the car battery an hour or two.

rayke1938 wrote:

You wont damage the watersnake but the battery will not last very long as a car battery is not designed for continious discharge. Do yo mean that you will be using the leccy continiously for 3 hours or only intermittently for a 3 hour fishing session/

If only intermittent you would get away with a car battery but it still wouldnt last long.

What is the output of the charge circuit on your outboard? Unless its an efi 4 stroke I suspect it will only be a few amps and not sufficient to maintain charge for your battery.There is a lot of info on the site already if you do a bit of research.

Cheers

Ray

Only intermittently and not sure about charge circut? It is a 08 15hp yahmy.

Have had a look but could not find much if you know any threads off the top off your head would be very helpfull if you could post link?

Cheers for the feedback mate

Cam B)

try to cough up the money for an absorbed glass matt (agm) deep cycle 120amp hr batt. you out lay the money once and own this battery for 7-10 yrs with out a glitch though a float charger should be used on these batterys. If charging from your out boards alternation choose a deep cycle with cranking capabilities (cca) this allows the cells of the battery to absorb and store the charge a lot quicker and a float charge is not required.

Also be aware, the Bias bloke was not correct in the amps that motor draws, the watersnakes draw less than the minnkotta's. Polyphonic had a 44lb on his, behind a 30 amp fuse . It did use to blow 20 amp fuses (which is what the boat yard fitted) but we upped them to the biggest we could buy in Gin Gin,being 30's and the 30's held.(they got hot, but held)

Once again thanks guys I guess getting the motor for $280 has freed up a little bit of my budget so I will go the right batt but what about chargers? Will any do ? Or just a trickle feed? Or do I need something much better?

Hey babe I found a motor for $280 can I buy it?

But you have a motor on the back allready?

Yeah but it scares the fish ARRHHH you woudn't understand!

Fine buy the stupid thing we have a kid coming you know!

Ummm babe I need a battery for it..... Probably around $200

Your f@#$king joking right:angry:

Well what's the point getting it if i can't use it:angry:

Fine buy the stupid thing we have a kid coming you know!

Ummm babe I need a charger for the baterry Probably around $150

And a depth sounder and another battery to run it...

I'll be at mums!:angry: :angry: :angry:

for your sake i hope you catch some fish to placate the she beast i didnt and we have the kid now there was just a 5 yr gap between rods :( .at least i have a new fishing buddie :) when she not playing bloody bratz

if you would like the loan of a car battery for a couple of trips i can probably help you out you might find it does what you need and is substantially cheaper for my big glass boat i just use a car battery as its only used for manouvering on drifts and th odd short troll but on my tinny which is purely electric it runs on a pile of old 6v cells linked up these way a tonne but run forever

jason

Chargers again vary and some are better for your battery than others. You can pick up a cheap from supercheap or get a Guest/ C-Tek/Minn Kota. These are multistage chargers and you can set and forget them once you put them on.

For 100amp battery, if you want to charge up overnight then at minimum a 5amp charger

I have a 105 Amp/hr lead-acid battery with a C-Tek 7000 charger, and hope to have the battery for a long time.

Norm

P.S. I have a 32V 3A charger if anyone is interested, was used for electric bike battery.

faulked wrote:

for your sake i hope you catch some fish to placate the she beast i didnt and we have the kid now there was just a 5 yr gap between rods :( .at least i have a new fishing buddie :) when she not playing bloody bratz

if you would like the loan of a car battery for a couple of trips i can probably help you out you might find it does what you need and is substantially cheaper for my big glass boat i just use a car battery as its only used for manouvering on drifts and th odd short troll but on my tinny which is purely electric it runs on a pile of old 6v cells linked up these way a tonne but run forever

jason

Cheers mate pm sent :ta:

• 10 years later...

Good day mate,

Sounds like a second hand battery from battery world would work as long as it is deep cycle. As for a charger, you can buy a trickle charger for less than forty bucks. The question you have to ask yourself; "is this a sport that I  can afford?" Another aspect is to improve your boat slowly and don't be in a hurry. This is one way to know if your really going to be going out on a regular basis, and not someone who dumps a bunch of money into a boat and then sells for a loss. Just my opinion.