Baitcaster or Spinning?

Hey everyone, i've been fishing since I was a kid but have never really gotten right into it until the last year. I have always used med priced spinning gear on the cheaper side but have noticed recently that it doesn't really hold up with the bigger fish, I mean I still get them in but when I look at my old abu spinning reel and its twisting and buckling under the strain its only a matter of time before it gives and I lose a good fish.

So my question is, should I get myself a baitcaster or a good spinner, I have never used a baitcaster before but leaning towards 1 for the strength and line capacity but don't know how they will cast being that I'm still land based for now?? I'm only looking to spend about $2-300 and it will be used mainly for sharks and threadies until I get my boat. Can I get a strong enough spinner that will hold a decent amount of line in that price range?

I have been looking at the okuma range lately(baitcaster) mainly because of the lifetime warranty, are they a strong reel?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks,

Paul

From personal experience I have favoured Daiwa gear. They build em strong and if your willing to spend a couple of hundred you can pick up a nice baitcaster or spin reel. Spin would probably be a better bet if you are chasing line burning fish like threadies... A 3000 size reel would be a pretty choice, they are a good size and you can fish in a variety of different situations with them...have a look at the Daiwa Tierra spinning range.

Don't be suckered by "lifetime warrenties", whats the point if the thing falls to peices all the time? I have had Shimano and Daiwa reels for years and they have never given up on me. Anyway I hope you get somethin' you like. After all buying the gear is half the fun!!! :P

cheers,

Hugh

noname wrote:

check out the daiwa oceano 4500, certainly in that price range and would even get it spooled and still have change. it's a spinning reel.

Had a quick look, looks pretty good, only 3 bearings though? Does this matter? Have found a few reels in that price range that have up to 15 bearings, eg. Okuma V-System.

Just check out what type of bearings they are...plain old stainless wont last 2 long in the salt, quality is better than quantity! Daiwa has really good Corrosion Resistant Ball Bearings (CRBB) in some of their reels and Shimano has their version, SARB and ARB's (Shield Anti rust ball bearings and anti rust ball bearings respectively).

i like baitcasters. id go with am abu garcia 5600 c4. holds heaps of line strong as hell. and my abu garcia classics have lasted over 10 years. if you want a newer smaller version go with a revo sx or winch or inshore. the winch and inshore have hpcr (high performance corrosion resistant) bearings. hard to beat abus cheap and bulletproof.

apoklyps60 wrote:

i like baitcasters. id go with am abu garcia 5600 c4. holds heaps of line strong as hell. and my abu garcia classics have lasted over 10 years. if you want a newer smaller version go with a revo sx or winch or inshore. the winch and inshore have hpcr (high performance corrosion resistant) bearings. hard to beat abus cheap and bulletproof.

How are they to cast though?

mate

i wold go a spin if i was u because they will cast further in ur price range i mean if go to 500$ you can get a baitcaster that casts further than spinning reels but i thinkk that you should go a daiwa 3000 sol or luvias if u have a bit of extra money

hope this helps

hey paul, the question of whether you should get baitcasters or spinning gear depends on the sort of fishing you do. Baitcasters are more expensive then spinning gear. to get a good baitcaster you'll be spending around the 200+ mark for something that is good quality. with the same price, you'll be able to get a better than average spinning reel.

depending on what sort of fishing you are doing, i.e. live baiting vs bait vs artificials, you might want to think about getting a baitrunner? shimano make quite a good baitrunner for around $180. Or you could definitely consider a shimano stradic. you'll get top of the line spinning gear that will last for ages. factoring in that you've never really used baitcasters, i would probably advise you to get a quality spinning reel first and get into baitcasters when you have the spare cash, certainly not as a main reel since you're not that experienced with them. just my 2 cents.

Cheers Adrian, this reel will be used for the bigger fish such as threadies and sharks, I noticed my cheaper abu spinner was twisting and buckling under the pressure of a decent fish last weekend so I need to upgrade. Prob just get a good spinner as I have been using them since I was a kid and means I won't have to upgrade my rod just yet and as you say I will try a baitcaster when I have some spare cash later on. As I said earlier i'm prob gonna go either a Daiwa Capricorn 4500J or a Daiwa Exceler Oceano 4500J depending on how much money I want to part with. I might also look at the shimano before I make my final decision.

Paul

once you get the hang of casting with a baitcaster they are really not that difficult. but like you said, considering your circumstances i think a good spinning reel should be the way to go... no learning curve and no need for a new rod, and a good quality fishing reel to last you ages.

depending on how light or heavy the lure or weight is. when fishing surf and i use at least 1-2oz i will outcast most spinning reels. with a 2-3oz weight i can hit 132 yards with 20lb braid and a stiff 8.5 foot rod. but casting light weight i would go with a spinning reel.

no time better than the present to learn. depending on how much weight youll be casting also. if your casting 1-3oz of weight itll be easier to learn. if your casting 1/4 oz to half ounce itll be more difficult. but i can outcast most people with my baitcaster casting the same weight. with 2oz and 10lb line paired with an abu gacia c5 i am casting 130 yards. good luck choosing bro.

most definitely a good start. i love my c5 and i tested the cast distance on a football field (american football)100 yards main field and 15 yards each endzone. i actually went past the end zone and no bounce included 2 ounces sank into the soft turf end first(torpedo weight). itll last you years of use. my oldest c5 is currently 8 years old. my newest is 1 year old with the new corbon matrix drag. great drag. i got mine for 69.99

Archived