what everyone think about the matty johns saga?

zan0_15

hey just thought i start a bit a friendl debate :P i personally thinks that its bull%^&$ that he has now lost his job over this crap that happened 7 years ago....why didnt she say ne thing then....he was not as famous back then as he is now so mayb that made her talk thought she could make a quick buck out of it..?? any way i think he has been hard done by and this may sound sexist but why do the woman keep "engaging" themselves with footballers? if their so bad shouldnt they know to stay away by now??? they need to accept some of the responsibility!

whats your thoughts!

noname wrote:

everyone makes their own bed!

was it not his brother that confessed to using performance enhancing drugs after he retired? hmmm.

ecstasy performance enhancing? dunno about that unless he was in a dancing n hugging contest!!! but like you said,make your own bed..... just don't shit in it

There is no place in todays society for people to carry on in the manner that he has done.He is just setting bad example to todays young people who think that this type of behaviour is the norm. He should never have been employed by channel 9 or in his role in assistant coach.

Why should prominent sports people expect to be treated as though they are gods and can do whatever they like.

Ray.

This may be a little controversial, but i'm not sure i understand why the media, and alot of general public, seem to think that all women on earth are prim, proper and virtuous...?

Now i'm not condoning poor behaviour on the part of men, because there are some bad dudes out there that get up to some stuff that's just wrong....but there are also females out there that are, well....freaks....

I've hung out with some famous sportsmen of differing pedigrees and the groupies, hangers-on and out'n'out sl*ts are out there and in solid numbers....

People seem to think it's only guys that get off on notching big numbers, but there are girls out there like that as well...particularly when someone is 'famous', and of course on the other side of the coin there are guys that dont get off on that kind of thing, much like the majority perception of females...

rayke1938 wrote:

There is no place in todays society for people to carry on in the manner that he has done.He is just setting bad example to todays young people who think that this type of behaviour is the norm. He should never have been employed by channel 9 or in his role in assistant coach.

Why should prominent sports people expect to be treated as though they are gods and can do whatever they like.

Ray.

how do they expect to get treated like gods tell me???? him and his family went throught this 7 years ago...yer he is in the wrong and he would b the first to admit it but i feel they get dealt with alot harsher just becos they are famous which isnt fair.....like i said the woman need to b held accountable...bet u she was loving it at the time but money must be a bit tough atm u know with the recession and all...so why not make a quick thousand..and the rest.

why didnt the woman get up and leave when the second, third, fourth etc person joined in.

Ray i hope your comment is a gee up because dead set mate you must be god and jesus all wrapped up in one you saint you :)

I have a couple of frames of mind.

Firstly, sportmen need to wake the F up and realise they are not invinicible. And also not to cry when the finger gets pointed. Thet have made a career of being in the lime light and with that comes responsibilty. If you get caught in a situation like this as a professional sportsman your just an idiot.

However, I also feel that he has copped it. His career both TV and Coaching are now over, and I think this is more than enough to "learn a lesson". Anyway Im not going to critise him anymore than that. He got what was coming. Case closed. In my opinion.

Angus

ray has some points .

sports people tv movies etc are not gods .they are just normal people that are good at what they do.

and it not the right type of behavior for role models etc.

and its not what taken/married men should be doing .

the thing is from what i have read he has all ready be investigated and his wife and family new ,so he payed his dues for it,so have they now they got to live through it again.

so now its just a money grab and the media got it and its blown up and now it bad media and it in every1 face .now it a bad role model.before it got blown up only those who needed to know would have.now the kids and teen around Australia see it.

there are women out there that are groupies and women who like this kind of stuff.

so she was 19 chased after football players ,had some drinks .let the boys have a ride .then felt bad after woods.called the cops.now she want's some $.

well this kind of stuff happens it not right or wrong but if it's consensual,it should be kept private.not in the media and in everyone's face.

if this was something that was fresh and just happened and hadn't been investigated and dealt with year ago ,then it would be different.

now its just a money grab.

I've been around a bit and know there are plenty of young things star struck by big time footballers and more than willing to drop their panties. I don't think many of them are expecting to get gangbanged while a dozen guys look on though.

Johns is a television personality and his value is in the number of people he can get in front of the telly watching the footy show. That's why you hear these guys whinging about having to freebies for charity etc to build up their "good guy" reputations. He is for the moment at least a pariah, and tv execs will drop him rather that take the heat in loss of viewers and possibly sponsers if they try to ride it out.

Got to say I am surprised by the responses, it would be interesting what the response would be if this happened to your wife, sister or daughter.

What do I think about the Matty Johns saga....... I couldnt give a cr@p either way!

You are alway under scrutiny and if you are high profile then even more so. If you choose to participate in activities that some in the community might see as controversial then you take that risk..... and most times it comes back to bite you on the @ss!

But dont worry, someone else will be in the spotlight next week and Johns will be old news.

I had a mate in Longreach whose daughter was gone through by a visiting football team from Townsville. She was belted up when she realised what was happening and objected. Yes she was drunk at the time but that is no excuse for people to treat her in the manner that she was subjected to.

Her father was offered $5000 to shut up and go away and was told if he did not accept he and his family would be "got".

The money was refused but complaints were not made to the police because the daughter and family still had to keep on living in the town.

I am not a prude or a god but have no time for any person who cannot win a bird by themselves and who participates in sloppy seconds.

In most of these cases the victim is blamed .

Think how differently you would feel if your sister was involved would you then be saying poor Mathew he cant help himself people just keep on giving him drugs and he cant keep his zip done up.

Ray

yoyo wrote:

It's ridiculous......

No charges laid, no rape...nuthin.... just because poor dear has an attack of the guilts after entertaining the Sharks backline for the evening doesnt mean people should lose their jobs....

i agree, it is ridiculous. i think the NRL footy show wont be funny any more, back to the AFL one, bring on Sam Newman

as ray said if its forced .drunk or not drunk .lock em up.

if its consented well keep it behind close doors.

if u are high profile etc u should know better than to be doing this kind of stuff.

daughter wife sister u would be thinking wtf ,if they wanted a gb but some people do.

if it's forced non-consent .you would want blood .i would .

pissed or sober if it starts as 1 guy then turns to a group and they say hey hold on this is not what i was in for . to belt them up or people to treat her in the manner that's not right .it's just not no no matter who u are.

if the matty johns thing coming out now and the 7 years ago was a cover up well stuff him, he going down.

and if's it just a money grab well stuff her.cause he has suffered the consequences all ready and it just a money grab and publicity stunt.

i find it hard to explain my feeling in type sometimes .this is 1 of them.hope i have made what i think clear in the 3 posts i have done on this subject.

sorry to hear about your mates daughter ray.

think i'm finished on this subject.

While it might suit shirt pullers to point the finger at league players - when i lived in Tas, end of season tours by AFL shirtpullers caused plenty of controversy. But you never seem to hear to much about that in the media. Perhaps NRL should look to hiring the same PR mob looking after the shirtpullers.

Either way, there isn't a code of sport or entertainment that doesn't have it's groupies and i think the media is kidding itself if it thinks that putting pressure on the NRL players is going to affect how the young blokes at club footy level (any code) behave..... :S

Angus wrote:

If you get caught in a situation like this as a professional sportsman your just an idiot.

Angus

Good choice of words Gus. :laugh: :laugh:

I haven't personally been following this Matty Johns thing closely, but I think that without being there you can't really make the call on whether he was right or wrong. Why is it him that is being hammered so much when there were apparently other blokes involved?? just because he is still in the public eye?? should he have refused his job with the footy show 5 years ago just because this situation could have come back to bite him??

Another thing... people that put soooooooo much emphasis on these guys being role models. Please. If your kids are silly enough to look at this (and similar) situations as "Role Model" like behavior, I think you need to take a good look at home and figure out why your kids are looking up to possible bad behavior. If you teach your kids to learn the difference between right and wrong, and that people can make mistakes then thats all that matters. Parents should stop blaming other people in the community (and world) for the influences on their kids. Pro sports players are just that... sports players, not community leaders.

Obviously we shouldn't encourage bad behaviour, but don't go killing the blokes lively hood for something that was done and dealt with 7 years ago.

If I was a sports star and getting nookie thrown at me left right and centre, I'd have pre-done contracts drawn up and stuck in my wallet.

Also... girls... Learn from this... DON'T hang out with footy players if you don't wanna get into these situations. Its happened enough times now and been blown in the media so much that if you're stupid enough to get soo drunk at clubs and hang off the players get used as a toy and then cry wolf, get the F out of here. No sympathy from me in that situation.

I watched the interview tracy grimshaw gave and it pissed me off. She was completely on the side of the woman, I believe what he did was stupid but it wasnt completley his fault.

The girl consented to two guys coming....2 or 6...same shit, it's not one person. She asked them to come over and do the deed.

If someone so much as said she had alcohol and wasn't sure what she was doing then that is the most farkin lame excuse....you drink, you deal with the consequences if you can't conduct yourself in a normal manner after consuming drinks.

She was a willing participant....she was above the age of consent so if there are laws concerning what you can and cant do legally and you do them, then deal with the consequences, its not the fault of the other people for accepting her advances...it was mutual...albeit stupid, but mutual consent, hence when the police first investigated they couldnt find anything to place a charge with.

It happened 7 years ago...its her fault as much as his so what she is dealing with now cannot be solely blamed on Johns, she decided at the time for some stupid reason to go through with it, and not resist or say no to what happened then she can deal with it.

People need to take responsibility for they're own actions these days....farkkkkk

And don't go saying if that was your daughter what would you do....if it was mine, firstly i'd teach her better than that and secondly if she did decide to to such a stupid act, then your adult and it was your decision so deal with it

let the hate mail begin

bravoboy wrote:

I watched the interview tracy grimshaw gave and it pissed me off. She was completely on the side of the woman, I believe what he did was stupid but it wasnt completley his fault.

The girl consented to two guys coming....2 or 6...same shit, it's not one person. She asked them to come over and do the deed.

If someone so much as said she had alcohol and wasn't sure what she was doing then that is the most farkin lame excuse....you drink, you deal with the consequences if you can't conduct yourself in a normal manner after consuming drinks.

She was a willing participant....she was above the age of consent so if there are laws concerning what you can and cant do legally and you do them, then deal with the consequences, its not the fault of the other people for accepting her advances...it was mutual...albeit stupid, but mutual consent, hence when the police first investigated they couldnt find anything to place a charge with.

It happened 7 years ago...its her fault as much as his so what she is dealing with now cannot be solely blamed on Johns, she decided at the time for some stupid reason to go through with it, and not resist or say no to what happened then she can deal with it.

People need to take responsibility for they're own actions these days....farkkkkk

And don't go saying if that was your daughter what would you do....if it was mine, firstly i'd teach her better than that and secondly if she did decide to to such a stupid act, then your adult and it was your decision so deal with it

let the hate mail begin

best yet mate!! exactly how it is, on ya ;)

Storm in a teacup. Media rivalry has pushed this issue to a point that it is far beyond it's importance.

I don't understand why some contibutors to this thread are saying it's a money grab. The story (media beatup) has come from an ABC 4 Corners doco and they have denied paying her any money.

As for Johns getting the axe, well it will only improve the shows he appears on in my opinion It does however show a double standard amongst the media (as usual). They are axing Johns for consensual sex, but at the same time providing a position for an illicit drug user in his brother and flaunting the great contribution to Rugby League of Wendell Sailor - another well publicised illicit drug user.

I find that much more disturbing. I agree in part with what Do$stylz has said on parents taking responsibilty and not letting these high profile people be seen as role models. In the case of Joey Johns and Sailor though - the kids see that they have / are illicit drug users and the consequence of such a choice is that they get a bit of embarrassment for a short period and then all is forgotten and they are held in high esteem again.

That may be the case for them - they are the lucky ones. Drug users outside these circles are usually not so lucky. Sometimes it takes years to see the effects of a good time today. I see it in blokes that are now my age and have trouble getting their brains to function how they should, anger management issues, schizo personalities etc.

Anyway, let them get rid of Matt Johns and his overdone childish "humour" - I've been wanting him gone since he started, so if this is the way it happens - bye bye and good riddance.

I feel sorry for the family.They have obviously dealt with this some time ago and more than likely without the knowledge of close friends.Now everyone knows about a matter which is essentially private between Johns and his wife.The repercussions certainly outweigh the innocence which the police investigation determinned.

Women should not be mistreated but they should also conduct themselves responsibly when out and about and on the drink.

Where was this womans friends and what sort of friends would leave someone vulnerable?Maybe they were there but left when invited back to the room.Who knows?

Sad story but the people who dredged up the past on behalf of the four corners show should hang their heads in shame.It has affected the lady by bringing back her emotional turmoil(?),Johns by ruining all that he knows,his wife and questions they must now answer from friends who may not have known all done doing gutter journalism.

I also think those other footballers who were present are gutless for not coming out to support Johns or at the very least,provide another angle to this disturbing story.

This is my two bobs worth.

Hulk

Interesting reading the readers comments on courier mail website and the amount of females who have commented in support of Johns

Excerpts from the 4 corners program

NEVILLE JENKINS, DETECTIVE SGT CHRISTCHURCH POLICE: "Um she was a nice girl. She was young, um naïve, not worldly, just a growing up teenager. But even for 19 she was quite young I felt."

SARAH FERGUSON: Afterwards in the car park, Matthew Johns told Four Corners, he went up to Clare and said he was sorry about the other guys coming into the room.

NEVILLE JENKINS, DETECTIVE SGT CHRISTCHURCH POLICE: Yeah, I saw a young woman struggling with life. Um I didn't know her prior to this episode but presumably um, I'm led to believe that this is as a result of what happened to her at that time.

Psychiatrists reported that she was suicidal, had cut her wrists several times and bought a rope to hang herself with.

Yep that all sounds like she was consenting to me. :angry:

I'm sure if you were a 19 year old girl surounded by 12 footballers you wouldn't have felt intimidated at all? Nah you guys would have just got up and kicked all their butts right?

.... so many saints....how would u be if you all lost your jobs, family, what you have worked bloody hard for your whole life and everything else that means anything to you over one mistake.. people make mistakes... mistakes aired, cleared and dealt with years ago.... you cant tell me you all have 'nt done things that you regret. things you cannot change or take back but can only be sorry for. I HIGHLY ...... DOUBT ANYONE ON THIS FORUM IS PERFECT! how would you want to be treated. give the man a break instead of sitting up in your highchair judging. He is a great man, who has worked hard for what he has in sport, family, friends. Who are you to judge?

Poor choices by all parties involved. I watched the 4 corners episode last night. I know they have good producers who make use of threatening music and images of shadowy figures to fire the imagination but you have to use your own judgment on these things.

I did feel really sorry for the girl. Either she was really messed up or a fine actor, but it still made me feel just awful.

I guess all that " what happens on tour stays on tour " stuff sometimes claws it's way to the surface and bites people in the ass a bit further down the track.

Matty Johns has big shoulders..he'll be fine...not sure about the girl though.

fish repellent wrote:

.... so many saints....how would u be if you all lost your jobs, family, what you have worked bloody hard for your whole life and everything else that means anything to you over one mistake.. people make mistakes... mistakes aired, cleared and dealt with years ago.... you cant tell me you all have 'nt done things that you regret. things you cannot change or take back but can only be sorry for. I HIGHLY ...... DOUBT ANYONE ON THIS FORUM IS PERFECT! how would you want to be treated. give the man a break instead of sitting up in your highchair judging. He is a great man, who has worked hard for what he has in sport, family, friends. Who are you to judge?

Remain calm. The thread asked for members opinions. They are entitled to express it, as you are yours.

Remember not to make this a personal thing. ;):)

fish repellent wrote:

I don't know him, however I don't think being a slightly above average and successful footy player, nor stuffing a pillow up a T-Shirt makes anybody a great man.

Archived