luring success

Tiny Tin

being new to the use of lures especially SPs we set off for a land based flick this arvo. took a look at doboy creek and the brissy river near the new marina (not so new now). didn't fancy that so plumped for wynnum manly area. tried the rock wall near the seafood place opposite wynnum marine but no good. was difficult casting into the wind with a 1/16 jig on a 3 inch minnow in around a metre of water. kept getting bows in the line and losing touch with the SP. Martin was trying out a new blade he bought but like me was fishless :S . we decided to move towards manly and chose the rock wall jetty. there were a few people there fishing with bait but no one catching anything. picked a spot and sent out the minnow...nothing. look over to see martins rod bending into a fish. turned out to be a flattie around 55cm. we returned the fish and started again. a few more casts..flicks..twich twitch nothing. meanwhile martins rod is bending into another flattie :S . good fish again slightly smaller. sent him back too. started again..flick flick look over martin is on again (not supposed to go this way..young fells showing me how it's done) this time a small trev :) . after this things went quite so we shifted to the other side of the groyne (think that's what they call it). flick flick..slow reel..flick flick slow reel. after a couple of minutes 'was that a bite'? yep i was on :woohoo: flattie again around the 35 cm mark. at last off the mark. things went quite again so we headed to the manly jetty near the swimming pool. martin started off again this time a small whiting (still on the blade). the blade certainly looked like it was worth the money. time for me to change 1/8 jig..nothing. change again this time to a 3" gulp curl tail in pumpkin seed back to the 1/16 jig. flick flick..slow reel..bang flattie again good one too around the 55cm again, back in he goes. not to be outdone martin gets a decent pike on the blade :fishing: things went quiet for a while so i rang the missus (who's working away this week up north) i lay the rod on the floor and start chatting. lift the rod put it down..half hearted attempt at a flick...carried on chatting. minute later rod bends..whoa. pick up the rod feel the weight so lift into..you guessed it another flattie approaching 60cm. a guy fishing down the other end came over saying it was the same fish he caught last night :huh: . then he showed me the photo of of it..true it could have been the same fish. then he showed me some pics of bream that he said went close to 40cm (could have been) all caught off the jetty using SPs..5 inch jerk shad. one was hanging out the mouth of one of the bream. dunno what official colour it was? green and red from what i could see. anyway as for us we had an exceptional time. even proved that Sps will catch fish even when you do nothing with em :woohoo: the other people fishing around us were all using bait and we caught they didn't. i'm definitely getting into lures/SPs i honestly didn't think they could beat bait? I'll still be taking bait and livies but we certainly will be packing the SPs and blades. maybe they'll take preference some day..we're hooked. what a day :cheer: sorry no photos really didn't expect to catch much.

thanks angus. was very pleasantly surprised. i've dabbled a bit with lures some years ago but never got the hang of it. this time we seem to be doing better. it's quite a challenge with all the different jig sizes..colours of lures etc,.it's all good but :) one thing i forgot to post that may help is that the manly jetty is just getting back to it's former self (i've been told) since the dredging has stopped. there are still very few squid there. not sure if that's also due to the dredging or the amount of pontoons there now. there are lights everywhere..maybe that spreads the squid out a bit?? still plenty to learn :)

chris_stewart14 wrote:

Tiny Tin, what blade was he using? Sounds like a ripping session, well done!

it's a berkley big eye 1/6 mango ripple 35mm. i tried a pro strike blade blue/silver. it's not so good i had to work it too fast to feel the vibration compared to the big eye.

yoyo wrote:

Sounds like Nuke Chicken SP....?

yoyo...Martin just told me the guy said it was curry chicken..i have no idea was that looks like. sounds tasty though :laugh: the picture of the bream with the SP in it's mouth was definitely green/red. they were good fish but.

Archived