mackerel rigs

tugger

i see a few threads with mackerel of late and they are in the m b comp in june and will pass on a rig i use. small black swivels with single strand wire of 20lb breaking strain with a single 3/o or 4/o hook is the rig. i pass a piece of staight wire [from a coat hanger] with the end bent around up the pillies bum and out his mouth with the swivel on the bent end of the wire. then pull the swivel right through the pillie till the hook gets to its bum then tuck the hook into its side. then ty it to the main line and away you go and have good sucess with this

good tip tugger. i'll give that a try. just to clarify does that mean when you've finished tying the rig the hook is it it's side and the swivel is just outside his gob? or is the wire a little longer..say 6 inches outside the pillies gob. cheers :)

i have noticed a few things when fishing for these speedsters!

i throw lures around only for them.

they seem to single out a bait.

buy this i mean they will chase a slug thrown into a school and chase it down.

ever thrown a slug and got a hit, then gone, keep winding and you hook up again.

they also appear to attack from behind, take the back half of a bait or lure, won't attack like a snapper for example head first, hence this is important where the hooks are placed.

i think, only, they must hit the tail and want to swim off, away from his mates to feed in piece and return to the school, can only think of 1 reason why they do this, to slow the bait down if dropped, and gets a good go at it the second time, as with the lure scenario, if hit and dropped the first time, absolutely nailed the second strike. i only use 1 type of lure and it seems to work quite well, either way, bloody good fun hey!

rob

just under an arms length of wire trace i use and throwing slugs is a great way to chase them rob .i use a few diferent approaches with baits and lures when anchored like attaching a float to a pillie rig about 2 to 3 meters above the bait and drift a bait down as well with out a float or sinker to cover the water column. then spin for them at the same time

Noname: What I have heard is that Pelagics like Mackerel and Tailor go through the school, biting the tails off as many as they can. This disables the baitfish so either the same pelagic, or a 'friend' can get it later. Pelagics usually don't just go in every fish for itself, there is some order in their attack.

Archived