Colours and sizes?

dan25

hey guys

Thinking of heading out to pick up some SP's for next weekend's trip down at the spit.. Have only ever caught 1 fish on sp which was a small flatty, and would really like to start increasing my catch rate even if their small.. Ive been using the Squidgy wrigglers for awhile now in 3 colours and havent had that much luck apart from that flatty.. Was just wondering if anyone recomends a certain colour?

Ive also heard that the Gulp jerk Shads are a good flathead lure but have only seen them in 5" and though this is to big for flathead?? Im fairly sure ill get some of them and in Nuclear chicken as ive heard their good..

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Dan

5" plastics are definately not too big for Flathead. 7" would still be fine, especially for jigging deeper water for Flathead. But for starting out, I'd suggest 3" Berkley Powerbait Bass Minnows in pumkinseed, with a 1/16oz jighead, with a 1/OH hook. You'll get something ;)

Yep, that'll work. But my favourite is to cast out, let it sink to desired depth (usually bottom), and then sort of quiver my wrist untill the rod reaches 90 degrees to the water, then wind down and repeat. By quiver I mean get as many small flicks in as possible if that makes sense :S it'll be hard to get used to, and you'll get tired especially at first, but that retrieve has caught be alot of species from Cod and Flaties, to Tarpon and Giant Herring

Good luck!

Im with cowfish and Leighton... Actually Im with everybody! The Nuclear chooks are the go to plastic for the moment but rest assured the fish will figure them out before too long. Anything bright flathead love! 5 inch is not too big although if you can find 3 or 4 inch your more likely to get afew more of the little ones in my opinion which will hold your interest more.. Use the 3 inch powerbait in pumpkinseed in murky water and the pearl watermelon in sandy bottom / clearer water. Cowfish's retrive method is a good one.. By pulsading the tip more the tail on the placcie is much more active then the normal 3 bursts off the bottom. Best advice you can possibly get though is to cover as much ground as possible.. Always keep moving and casting at things and parallel to the bank ALOT! Good luck Dan!

I was flicking out there but went very undergunned, running 10kg leader on 4kg mainline and a weak rod and reel, i hooked something like gt or tailor i think from the flash. it peeled a heap of line and when i tried to bring it up it took flight into the rocks and cut off at my leader. very exciting fight though.

Using a 3" gulp minnow in pumpkinseed from the rocks at the tip of the spit, careful of the concrete blocks, hard to find a good one that isn't death to get to.

Archived