Weedy tasting bream from Wynnum/Manly?

josmo99

G'day

Having recently moved to Brisbane from down south, I've fished the Manly/Wynnum area a few times and caught a few keeper bream. I notice that when cooked, any bream 25-26cm or over has a rather 'weedy' taste, whereas 23cm bream taste just fine. Is this common for bream caught in this area or is it a seasonal occurrence? When cleaning the fish, I found brown algae/weed in their guts so I guess they think they're luderick or food is scarce heading into winter? ;)

I've also caught bream in the Coomera water and they've never been weedy tasting.

I must say the weather's been beautiful though, save for the constant rains a week ago. Caught a nice, big tailor from the marina today, can't remember when the last time was when I landed a tailor that wasn't undersized.

Cheers

im not really sure on why they would be tasting weedy. Im guessing of what their eating? but am not sure, sorry.

I was just wondering were abouts you were fishing down at wynumm/mainly?? i was out their the other day and had a look down at the rock wall near the boats.. have you ever fished their landbased?

dan25 wrote:

I was just wondering were abouts you were fishing down at wynumm/mainly?? i was out their the other day and had a look down at the rock wall near the boats.. have you ever fished their landbased?

Manly is alright mate, I would fish Lota Creek at the mouth on the flats there. I've seen multiple big Whiting caught at that area, biggest was 42Cm's.

Thanks TomW

manly harbour is a good spot.

low tide walk right out along the rock wall, there's a channel marker not too far off it, cast out beyond it and there is a small patc hof rocky reef and you can pick up a few small squire...

on the other side of the wall (the big "bay side", so you're looking back towards port of brisbane) and there's bream, flatties and tailor)

I've fished at the Manly jetty (within the marina) where the cafe is (is that Manly or Wynnum?) for bream and pike. Have tried that long stone jetty further north (where there's a swimming pool) but only ever caught small fish. Sorry I'm new to the area so not sure where's where. Today I was at the mouth of the marina by the seawall. Yep there are lots of boats passing through but that doesn't seem to faze the fish. There are lots of little bream, tarwhine and snapper in between decent fish.

BTW does anyone know where I can find some winter whiting fishing from shore? Thanks. :)

Haha, poo! Right, somebody did tell me not to fish near Tingalpa creek as that's where the poo is!

A couple of weeks ago I caught a 31cm squire at the jetty at night but was told in QLD they have to be 35cm :( Man, was I excited before then too. I'd never be able to catch a 30cm squire/snapper from a jetty in southeast NSW, heck I've rarely caught them off the rocks there either. But you guys seem to have plenty of fish here. Today I was fishing from 10am and ended up with 4 keepers (3 bream and 1 40cm+ tailor).

well done mate. I used to fish from Manly pretty regularly... especially off the William Gunn. As it gets colder, have a go there at sunrise and you could get onto some GT.

Yeah off lota creek is a good spot for winter whiting.

Yoy... thats new info to me about the rubble patch at the end of the rockwall. Never fished right off the end. Have caught good pike, tailor, bream, whiting, flattie and GT off that rockwall. Yabbies there get the whiting and bream.

Ah, GT! A few years ago I visited Brisbane and fished at the William Gunn jetty. A regular angler warned me not leave my rod unattended but I thought, thanks but it's ok what could happen? I left the reel on strike drag and the fish, whatever it was, dragged it across the concrete and over the side. Doh! A GT would be fun, as I'm only fishing 9lb main and 9lb trace I'll be lucky to land it, I can see lots of oyster encrusted rocks down there.

Yeah I think the flavour and smell do ahve quite a bit to do with their diet and location. i found that the bream I caught at Bargara stank quite strongly of old mussels and oysters once I got into their gut cavity. Still tasted pretty good though. Just a bit difficult to clean and fillet.

Archived