Land-based Saltwater Fishing

jmacphee

Hey - just wondering... when fishing from shore is it best to fish a couple of hours leading up to high tide or a couple of hours after high?

Also, is there much difference between fishing the highest and the lowest of the daily high tides?

There is kinda a big difference.. Fish can be taken at any stage of the tide if your in the right places.. Depends on what fish you like to target but as a general rule I'd say the 2 hours before and 2 after the HT are the best times to fish. Which of those two hour blocks is better is very questionable.. I'd argue most of the time about the same as one another. :)

Not overly because of the amount of water as here on the east coast the tides aren't that big anyway.. But more because of what time of day the tide falls.. E.g high tides that coincide with dusks and dawn are alot better than ones that are 12 and 12 for say. Like I said, fish to be caught on any tide.. Alot of great fishing comes at night too. But who wants to fish at midnight? Not me at least :blink:

Nice one - thanks for that. I'm a bit new to the whole saltwater fishing scene. Back home on the east coast of Canada there's a 10 metre difference between high and low tide so things are a bit different.

Night-time fishing sounds fun... but I like my bed too much ;)

i fish around the times i think the species i want to chase will be more active. before full and new moon's, certain wind directions, certain tide times. certain amounts of wind.

there is a huge difference between high and low tides in the brizzy river the higher tide see's you nice and comfortable, the lower see's you up to your knee's in mud.

rob

more or less depends what area you are fishing as to whether the runout or runin is better,

i.e if you try and fish a mudflat on the outgoing most of the bait is getting swept away and the predators will be hanging out on the edge to clean them up, so the flats wont be a good spot but the adjacent channel will

however on the rising tide the predators might be moving up to hunt on the flats so that will be your better option

what every1 said so far.:)

take it all add it up and there u go.:)

i use the tides the spots and the moon and tide times to work out where and what i try to fish for.nothing hard core just a guide for fishing.

eg: its low tide in the middle part of the river at 12 pm .i'm going fishing from 10 am to 2 pm .i will go to the upper middle /top part of the river and fish the fresh.

it's high tide at 5 or 6 pm will fish dusk for fish in the river.

some fish seam more active or better fishing on around a full moon.

the tides are higher/stronger around the full moon.

some fish are hunters some eat weed and dead crap floating about or off the bottom.

what did some1 say to me once :think like a fish :)

the other half and i fish alot on the incoming tide from pinkenba boat ramp beach we don't catch alot but we have been absolutely hammered a few times. We have pulled a few good bream and a couple of 70cm flathead out of there. As long as there is a rod in the water who cares what u catch. I have had a heap of fun catching catfish on light gear there. And night fishing is great cause there aren't as many people around.

I'm not really lucky enough to have the time to be able to plan my fishing around the tide too often, but I've found I can catch fish at anytime, it just depends on where you are.

If you're fishing a drop off or a hole, its obviously going to be more pronounced at high tide thus attracting the larger fish there.

But if you're after fish like bream, whiting and flathead, you can catch them at the lowest tide at a lot of places as well as at high tide.

i have fished deep water bend in the morning at high tide caught nothing. go back another day and the tides absolutly ripping thru there and caught heaps of bream in one session.

im a firm believer of that presentation is the key.

if a bream sees a live prawn swim past its hidy hole its not going to ignore it because the tides wrong.

if a bream sees a stinky frozen prawn float past its hidy hole its not going to eat it just cos the tides right.

i think tides definatly play there part, but i wouldnt not go fishing because of them.

Right so I guess the next question is... where can I bloody well go?! Nudgee's all I know and it's looking like a parade route lately. I popped out for a couple of hours today and by the time I left there were people spaced pretty much every 10' along the bank. I used to go down the boardwalk a bit but that's all been turned into a reserve now.

Plus - does anyone actually have much luck out there? I caught a couple of decent whiting today but they're not exactly the most exciting catch in the world. Plus the largest thing I've ever caught out of there is the flatty in my profile pic! Any suggestions - I'd prefer something not TOO far out of the city.

For threadies I would try indro long pocket ( just off the esplanade), and when the water clears go to goodna with live herring or prawns.

for Jew try the mouth of boggy creek around structure after rain flick some 5 inch placcys or worms over rocks at night time and dusk.

I mean some guy in here might say im full of it but in reality if you go out flicking 3 inch minows over sand bars you will get flatty. so try somthing different ;)

I have had sucess with river jew around rock structure flicking plastic on the outgoing low tide.

you have to be prepared to get a lot of doughnuts, but persist and you will be rewarded :)

dave

Archived