A couple of firsts for me!!

Kappa

So yester day finished work at 2pm and thought might kill some time and have a flick it was dead low and didnt think I'd catch anything up the creek!

Unknown to me there was a hungry flatty waiting for me. After just five minutes FISH ON! Wasnt fighting hard like a decent size flatty but when i got it up my fisrt 50cm flatty

So that was three of the firsts! First fish since the rains,first flatty at that spot and and first 50cm flatty!After another 2 hours I deiceded to pack it in with not even another bite! And thats when i decided another first of mine to actually take the 50cm lizard home and cook it up!

Took it home and my next first first time ever filleting a fish! I had bought a filleting knife a couple weeks back thinking i might try it out some time but since the rain i havent caught anything!

had a Crack of filleting the fish not a bad job for a first time got all the skinn off in one go and only two tiny bones when eating it for tea!

I have to say i thought pullin in a fish was the best feeling ever but after tasting my fisrt fresh flatty fillet ever id have to say nothing is more satisfying than eat somthing you had caught that day!!! [img size=704]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/full_fish.jpg

Onya Kappa fish always tastes sweeter when you catch it yourself and a good job of filleting also. A little hint if you cook up the backbone and the wings there is a lot of sweet meat to be had there also. You will be surprised how easily it comes away from the bones.

Once again

Congrats

Ray

Cheers guys yeah I had a ball catching it and eating it! And thanx for the tip rayke I

Might try that next time! For those of you talking about releasing the fish I must agree with you also! Being the first fish I've ever taken home or killed in all the fish I've caught I think I'm doing pretty well! It's a very nice sight to see them swim off to get caught another day :-)

• 3 weeks later...

well done kappa and i can't believe how well you filleted for the first time a lot of my mates would have destroyed that fish but you looked like a pro. top work and don't mind the boys on here i'm shaw they don't mind you taking a feed home.

Mate that's a great catch.

You done an awesome job on the fillet by the way. My Mrs is a head chef and I had to show her that.... she was very impressed

*looks over shoulder to make sure she's not reading this now*

She should be... I've seen her fillet flatties before.... not a pretty sight. She's great at bream but you put her flathead filleting to shame. Well done.

*now blocks access to this sight in case the mrs sees this and I have to cook my own from now* :laugh:

Mate, I'm not going to lie to you......I generally eat what I catch! Having said that, I am not that good a fisherman and only get the odd bream usually. I never come anywhere near the bag limits! I have cooked up bream and eel, the eel was surprisingly tasty, if a bit muddy :) and the bream always taste nice. Good work on the flattie, you have beaten me by a good 15 cm, I just can't seem to hook em' up!

Archived