sweet saturday

AZZA

Every thing was looking good for a change Full moon, early morning high tide and best of all bugger all wind so I just had to venture off shore. First hold up is when one of the deckies is a no show :angry: so we give him 15 mins then when he is not answering his phone its to bad so sad were off. Get to Bribie ramp just on daylight and launch in quick time and head to cape moreton across a smooth ocean. After rounding the cape we deside to head to shallow tempest, about half way to tempest we had to stop and wait for two whales resting on the surface what a sight they surfaced a second time only about 30 meters from the boat B) We got to the reef not long after and find a nice show on the sounder, drop the pick and for a change seemed to be on the mark. First drop and up comes a 30 odd cm snapper, next drop and while I am reeling up what turned out to be a small red throat my other rod gos off and I can see its a better fish than the one I am reeling in so I tell the deckie to grab my rod and he lands a nice 42cm snapper :cheer: Then we had a run of under size red throats and other reef pickers untill I picked up a nice Gold spot wrass. Mark got a small slimey mackral and I put it out on a floater on my barra rod. Things went quite so we were pissin about getting something to eat and drink when the slimey went off with the rod bent right over and line disappearing at speed while the drag screemed in protest B) I grabbed the rod up and wound the drag up which just seemed to make this fish angry and it put the hammer down when I saw how much had been striped off the reel I started to worry and thumbed the spool as hard as I dared. I managed to turn the fish around and was making some head way when it was on again with runs that near pulled the rod from hands and once again got this monster turned around. As I was bringing the fish to the surface feeling like I have won this battle I notice the anchor rope is in the way and a real chance loseing me this fish as the combnation of no breeze or current and a hard pullin fish had turned the boat around, so i got the deckie to up anchor. While waiting for this the fish got a second wind and desided to run again TBC

At this stage I am starting to think shark or ray and the deckie has cleared the rope so the fight continues and then it happens during one hard run with the spool thumbed hard BANG my barra rod is in two pieces and the top half of the rod is plumiting down the line to the fish while I take stock of the situation I deside that fighting this fish with half a rod is better than hand lineing braid after another few hard but increasingly shorter runs I feel the fish submit and then we spot it in the depths an big king fish which comes to the boat with out to much more trouble. It went 116cm and about 10kg. :woohoo: [img size=333]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/kingy_AFO.jpg

Hi Ellicat, it was a shimano sonic sss 5-8kg and PFulgger echelon reel with about 80meters of 50lb braid with a 60lb leader and we were in 30meters of water. Nah I dont think I worked the fish any harder once the rod snapped proberly worked the fisherman harder with no spring left in the rod :laugh:

I got monstered by what I believe was one of those mongrels on sunday morning. Hit a half pilly on the drop on bream gear did a few big swirls on the surface then hit the turbo :woohoo: Was thinking I was glad I had respooled the alvey with 500m of new 6kg because I was going to need it. Thankfully about 8 to 10 secs in the hook and bait pops out saving my hand the red raw it would have had playing the fish oon a non drag reel :laugh:

It's good to see you got the thug in even on the damaged gear.

Archived