Electric Motor Info...

Hey Guys,

I have afew questions.. Im eyeing off a 54lb Jarvis Walker watersnake for my canoe. Is that overkill? It's a 15 foot canoe that weighs they said 30 kilos but it feels like more than that. It has a flat stern to fit a motor but if I ever go fishing on my own I dont want it to sit up on a 45 degree angle. Might sound silly but being 54lb does that mean that is how much the engine weigh's or just how much trust it puts out? These are the specs of the unit:

54lb Thrust

ETW54

12 Volt

5 Speed Forward

2 Speed Reverse

Transom Mount

Composite Main Shaft

Shaft Length 105cm

Saltwater Resistant

Telescopic Handle

Amp Draw (up to 48 amps at full speed)

Tiller Steer

Im going to need to get a marine battery for it too aren't I? Will I then need a marine battery charger aswell? The engine itself is looking like being $350 what is everything else Im going to need to get it working and keep it working and what is that likely to cost me.. If I'm just buying it retail.

Hi Chris can't offer much advice on motor but batteries I can.I wouldn't use anything smaller then 110amp/hr but larger the better.I use to sell batteries for a crust and trojon are the best on the market and make a 120amp/hr (28kg) verry good batteries but not sealed.If you are after a sealed battery make sure it a propper deep cycle battery not just what they call agm (absorbed glass mat)but there not cheap good luck and tight lines

cheers Darren.

Sorry chris follow up on chargers one rated 12/15 amp would to the job and don't let anyone tell you that the charger in a marine one as there on such thing like all thing more often then not the more you pay the better they are again good luck

cheers Darren.

thats good advice from Dassa.

you will need weight forward for the batteries.

Deep cycle are the only way to go. If you use anythibng else you have the potential of killing them quickly.

Remember you dont have to use the full thrust of the electric motor. But if you do have big power its there to use if you need it. IE in strong current and wind or both.

You will find that the battery will cost you as much if not more than your electric.

A good battery charger will cost you about the same. Look at the CTEK or DEW brand.

You might also want to think about a smaller bow mount electric as well. You will find the manouvourability of the front of the canoe a god send in tight places.

Thanks boys... What is a sealed battery vs non sealed ones? All marine batteries would require a charger surely? The (28kg) you have in bracket's - is that what it weigh's? Dassa what am I looking at $$$ wise for a good marine deep cycle sealed battery & charger? Just trying to figure out weight ratio's.. Can all 12 volt motors take the same style of batteries? Say I buy a good battery and charger but downgrade the eleccy to a 34lb can I then use the same battery when I get my tinny next year and upgrade to a 54lb? Same battery different motor?

sealed batteries can be kept in any position. ie upside down or on their side. they have no filler holes to put water in. Hence sealed. Soemtimes calles a gel cell battery

Will work with any electic, as will a wet cell.

28-30kg is about what you would expect from a 85-120 amp hour battery.

You dont want a marine battery, you want a deep cycle battery.

The 54 will be very quick, probably to quick to troll with even on 1. A 28 or 36 would be heaps big enough, and allow you a smaller battery.

By having the battery right at the front of the canoe it should run alright with you and the motor at the back.If not, take a 20litre drum, put it in the front, and keep adding water to it until the canoe sits where you want it. (just empty out when finished)

Be aware that the canoe will steer off the motor, not the hull. IE there is no keel on a canoe, so if you turn the motor it will push the canoe sideways, most tinnies with electrics also suffer from this but not as bad as a canoe. Takes a bit of getting used to, but it is easily manageable when you are used to it.

Lastly secure the battery well, they are to expensive to lose in a roll over, and if they are lose, a shift in the canoe can cause them to slide and actually cause a roll over!

Great info thanks! So a deep cycle battery is then waterproof I take it? Does it just connect by a lead to the motor or something if it's sitting up the front? Will the deep cycle battery need a charger? Are they sold as a package or seperate? What should I expect to pay retail for a good deep cycle 120 AMP battery and whatever is needed to charge it?

$3-400 for the battery, $250 odd plus for the charger.

Cant remember whether the watersnakes use clamps or terminal lugs. You will need to extend the wire if putting the battery up front. Easiest way is to use a couple of anderson plugs.

Archived