Soft Plastics for Flathead...

Stumbled across this site for the Gold Coast Sports Fishing Club.. They hold a huge Flathead Classic every year and do a survey of all the results. I.e. What lures in what colours caught all the fish. Some very interesting results & useful info for people starting out in lures and plastics looking for the colours and types that get the fish.

Especially being info for one of our most sought after, common estuary species and data from our own back yard.. Seems like the colour white and the colour lava (whatever that is) were an absolute killer in 08! Accounted for over 600 of the near 1000 lizards taken over all.

http://goldcoastsportfishingclub.com.au/html/archive.php

I thought that too.. When I started out on lures acouple of years ago, bright pink was the go to colour.. I wonder if it has something to do with the fact the fish have now gotten used to it as they do or secondly because the water around the Pin is alot clearer and more sandy then what we are used to up here in Brisbane.

Most of our water is a dirtyier, muckier colour so in my experience the bright colours work better on our Flathead like pinks, nuclear chickens and lime tigers.. They really dont get a big showing in that list though? I wonder if thats due to water clarity?

i guess it would all depend on the water clarity and temp, i rekkon the whiteish colours would be good in the cooler water, clarity wouldnt really matter. hotter water would warrent hotter colours i rekkon, i know neuclear chicken works in dirty warmish water

Wonder if it has anything to do with the representative sample taken? I mean if 100 people are flicking white lures and 1 person flicking black lures then you can expect the white to be represented 100 more times than the black.

I think the results could be skewed with the current trends in lure colour.

But I will be getting myself some white minnows and grubs all the same ;-)

Everyone hits the area hard before the comp and tries out a variety of colours and patterns (the pros only in their sponsor range of course). The flatty classic years ago was dominated by pinks, now it is white and lava. Personally i doubt the fish can see the colours too well, so don't think they are "learning" from it, more that these two colours represent the best match for baitfish or increased visibility to entice a strike.

chris_stewart14 wrote:

Does anyone know what colour "Elton John" is in lures? Particularly Halco Scorpions? Im assuming something pretty loud and bright but I've heard it's a great colour for Jacks but cant seem to find it on any colour charts?

Elton john is the rainbow colour. Horrid looking things but the fish don't mind.

Yellow, pink, blue, green. Sprayed in sections down the lure.

Archived