Correct method of handleing fish.

rayke1938

There has been a post on this previously but I saw a mention of it in another post and thought I would pinch it from Angus and place under a seperate thread. I am NOT having a go at anyone and it seems to be the latest fashion in some of the the fishing mags to show a happy fisher holding up a couple of fish by the gob leaving bodies unsupported.

Here are Anguses words.

Cheers

Ray

Not having a go as no one will know unless told, but for future reference, dont hold fish up by the tail or head so the body weight is straining the fish as a whole. Fish skeletons are not as sturdy as out of water animals and this stress can be enough to insure death even if released.

Next time try to:

* Keep the fish wet.

* Support the fish's body weight.

* Have it out of the water as little as possible.

it's good for this to be bought up again as a reminder.

as i know i forget things ,so i guess other people do to.

i usually handle the fish with a wet rag ,holding under the body .

but since i got lip grippers .i now remember i have handled them the incorrect way with them.

now that i think about it ,i would not be happy if some 1 picked me up gob and let me dangle there.

cheers for the reminder

i would like my fish friends to swim away for another day well.:)

At the risk of starting world war 3 here, does anyone else see the irony in ripping a hunk of metal through a fish's mouth, dragging through by the jaw for an extended period, lifting it out of its natural environment AND THEN treating it like the world's most loved creature. Then we release it back into the water where it stands a pretty good chance of dying from the shock of its ordeal, or maybe be eaten by a predator in its weakened state.

If we really loved our piscatorial mates that much, why do we catch them in the first place? Trust me, I like fish as much as the next person and always do my best to look after any that I catch and don't keep for a feed - just think it is a bit strange that we (including me) are only really concerned for their welfare after we have half killed them in battle.

Old Scaley wrote:

At the risk of starting world war 3 here, does anyone else see the irony in ripping a hunk of metal through a fish's mouth, dragging through by the jaw for an extended period, lifting it out of its natural environment AND THEN treating it like the world's most loved creature. Then we release it back into the water where it stands a pretty good chance of dying from the shock of its ordeal, or maybe be eaten by a predator in its weakened state.

If we really loved our piscatorial mates that much, why do we catch them in the first place? Trust me, I like fish as much as the next person and always do my best to look after any that I catch and don't keep for a feed - just think it is a bit strange that we (including me) are only really concerned for their welfare after we have half killed them in battle.

There are ways of minimising the damage done to a fish the very second it's hooked. Crushed barbs on hooks is a good idea to keep the damage down and not using fine fishing line which prolongs the fight is another. Get the fish in and don't stuff around.

A lot of damage is done with dry hands or placing the fish on a dry hot surface. Protect the fishes natural slime coating by wetting your hands and using a wet brag mat. I take a lot of my fish photos while the fish is still in the water.

Sure it may be cruel in the first place to hook a fish but we can certainly keep the damage to a minimum.

If these steps are followed the fish have a very good chance of powering off to fight another day.

A lot depends on the species as well. I fish mainly for bass, they are strong fish which handle catch and release very well.

Im all for this post as long as we are all in acceptance that this isn't a witch hunt and more of an education for EVERYONE! I can count probably near 10 reports from the last month where fish are strung up unsupported by their mouths with gaff's, jaw grips, Bass held by their bottom jaw with their necks bending where not ONE person has commented on the handling of the fish...

This is something ALOT of people are forgetting to do and I promise you that holding a fish supported only by their jaw is alot more detrimental than fish held by their tail. Fish have alot more of their skeletal structure around their head.

Good post - I believe like Little Grey Men said that although we do put fish through obvious stress there are things we can do to make it alot easier for our little aqua bound brothers! Lets not forget it is ALOT of people on this site who are guilty of improper handling.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived