Advice to deckies spots

Gazza

Here we go just my thoughts btw I'm over the last trip :woohoo:

looking forward to my next

but could the Admin post a sticky thread on what could be required as a deckie ie:

If a deckie spot is offered you may be expected to

Help with launching and retrieval of the boat

Share in the cost of a day on the water (take into consideration the trip a electic dam trip will be alot less than a off shore trip) and bait is not cheap :angry: @ bait cost lol

offer assistance where needed (remember you are a guest)

try to be punctual (even a bit early to offer help if required)

even a bad day out on a boat is better than land based

but remember most of all a skipper will try to make the most of a day for their own enjoyment as he/she is not a charter boat looking to make money but a fellow fisher looking for a good day ;)

and finally even if you had a crap day fishing which can happen :P

A big thank you will get another trip as a deckie remember you are a guest not a paying costomer

I personally dont like the term Deckie as this implies slave or lower level on a boat :angry:

bottom line for invited fisho's if offered a spot ask your skipper what will I need etc

Gaz

My last deckie spot I lifted the guys boat in the hardstand, cleaned the prop shafts from fouled lined, hosed down the hull and re-applied the anti foul as needed. Well sort of me, I had the staff do it while I took a sickie.

THe trip cost me $50 for fuel, he supplied all food, another deckie supplied bait and I just goofed off. I think he took the $50 as a token to make me feel better.

Why did I goof off? Becuase the skipper said "bring your own tackle and nothing else".

I kind of think the skipper is the skipper and it is up to him to advise the crew on what and how to play in his boat.

Sorry Gazza, but you should have given clearer instructions to deckie at the same time as being aware of deckie's personal circumstances, compensating where need be.

I can see some good pointers in this thread for the newbies,and most of them are not aware of the costs involved in running a large boat.

As for me ,I'm going out anyway and its nice to have someone to chat too and enjoy the day out with.I have never asked for $$ and If they offer I usually say "It's ok I was going anyway and it was good company". But I always got a Thank you and lets do it again sometime.

Brian D wrote:

Why did I goof off? Becuase the skipper is the skipper and it is up to him to advise the crew on what and how to play in his boat.

I can relate to that Chilly, "Hey You deckie,drive the boat,put out the anchor,pull in the anchor,get me bait etc etc. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

That was a great day out, if I can make it down we should do it again. Your one of the top blokes, and it is great to be one of your deckies.

Do what I tell YA DECKIE ,I'm CHILLIN :laugh: :woohoo: [img size=500]http://australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/DSCN0723-bc9d1f1d6805656d8bea86bb1a8e1e23.JPG

post-742-144598498124_thumb.jpg

on another note, deckies also beware.

there are some cowboy skippers out there.

if you want to come back safely ,pick you skipper carefully.

watch out for booze, drug users and badly maintained boat and equipment.

Its can get real dangerous real quick outside guys choose who you go out with carefully if you intend on coming home.

yeps

for outside i would go with my dad ,i have trust there ,been in his boats and boating since i was 5 years old .31 years there a lot of trust there.

any1 else i don't really know and haven't been out with a bay trip or 2 would be in order first,i think.

it can get real out in the bay too.

i have seen and remember some scary weather in the bay over the years.

i guess when u meet them etc u would be able to make a call,on it all.

This is a fair point. Most non-boaters have no idea of the costs of a trip. Also, totally agree on the giving a couple of hints, you should have seen kreel the first time I took him out, useless. With a few quick tips from me, he has progressed to slightly less useless! :P in all seriousness, no-one can get onto a boat from the first time and be an expert, skippers need to be patient as well as informative. Everyone has a good time this way!!!

He even offers to clean your fish and put bait on the hook if you are super nice to him......and he offers to bring chocolate!!!!

shortie wrote:

Its can get real dangerous real quick outside guys choose who you go out with carefully if you intend on coming home.

I agree whole heartedly with this. I don't drink when skippering, it is my responsibility to ensure those on board come home safely. I have been out in the boat before and noticed an interesting smell coming from nearby boats as blokes chuff up on the water... I'd rather be landbased than out with blokes like that. You wouldn't get into a car with a bloke who is pissed or high... Probably worse on a boat!!!

benno573 wrote:

shortie wrote:

I agree whole heartedly with this. I don't drink when skippering, it is my responsibility to ensure those on board come home safely. I have been out in the boat before and noticed an interesting smell coming from nearby boats as blokes chuff up on the water... I'd rather be landbased than out with blokes like that. You wouldn't get into a car with a bloke who is pissed or high... Probably worse on a boat!!!

Agreed.

Maybe a sticky could be added to the site somewhere on known safe and reliable skippers. This would be great for the young guys that are willing to take up any deckie spots offered.

maybe some ground rules too, along with some on water coaching eg deckies do a share of the driving! that type of thing if skippers are up for it. neg beacons, passing other boats, being passed, just a simple thing like turning around can be a disaster, without looking behind. that sort of stuff.

• 1 year later...

I think this is worthy of a bump as there are quite a lot of new people on AFO and very generous blokes willing to share a spot on their boat.

This topic recently came up between Tina and I. For me I'm usually not too fussed for fuel as I am usually going out anyway, but usually I make things clear that I like a bit of help cleaning and unloading. Quite often everyone is tired and in dire need of a shower, especially after a big trip but the more that help the quicker it gets done.

As a regular (Lucky!) Decky Bitch I would like to add my comments. Before I got my boat licence I was obviously not allowed to drive. Since gaining my licence I have been afforded the opportunity of piloting some craft. At all times I have seeked the skipper's advice on what to do, at no time have I believed that I was the God! The same applies for deck duty. Ask the skipper what he or she expects out of you. This stops any animosity or misinformation ruining the day. Offer to pay yer way, ask what they want and pay it, it's still cheaper than a day down the local tavern. Ask if they want a hand cleaning the vessel. It is just a matter of communication.........Easy as! B) B) B)

good on ya for bumpin the thread eug. ;)

keep this thread rolling guys hopfully more will read it.

I got burnt big time by my last afo deckie i took out. he got good fish too :woohoo: did a bit over 200 km of traveling working the northern offshore reefs off the cape and down to the northern 29's

deckie never pitched in a cent didnt even buy ice or 2 packs of servo pillies for burley when i asked him to just got chips n a drink for himself at the servo. then cried broke at the end of the trip.

3 bags of ice and 2 packs of servo pillies for burley aint much to ask for aye. or is it? .:blink:

considering i stay out there for 15 hrs to make sure we fish the tide twice in that time period so we can have a good time on the reef. only to have the deckie get real sea sick you cant help that even i get crook at times i know the felling so i did what any responsable skipper would do ( tell em to jump over board it equalises the fluid in the inner ear imedeitly no more sea sickness):lol: no i didnt do that i headed in cuttiing the trip way short:( but any way.

its not just a gamble for the deckie on who ya skipper is and what there capabilitys are at skippering its also a gamble for the skipper on what the deckies are like as an honest decant sort of a person. no body likes being taken advantage of its a crap feeling aye.

I still look forward to spending time with future deckies from this site its fun and i enjoy taking people out for the experience

cheers mick

3 bags of ice and 2 packs of servo pillies for burley aint much to ask for aye. or is it? .

definitely not to much to ask .

the 2 times i jumped on board with mick , went to the river mouth and out front in the bay.

mick was taking the boat for a run.

the other time a few of us from the site where down at colmslie having a look /chat ,just getting out of the house sort of thing .

mick was down there to ,he was like want to come for a fish ,i was like yeah ok .

at the end of the day/night back at the ramp i asked mick u want a some $ for fuel ,he was like no its ok .

they are them type trips where i'm already going to the river any1 want to come along sort of thing .

most of us guys are not to fussed on fuel $ etc for these style trips as we all ready going and its not like we are travelling far etc .

but its still polite to offer the skipper fuel $ ,weather he wants it or not .

there is a big difference in cost between a trip to the river mouth compared to across the other side of the bay or off shore. your talking doing 10 ish km compared to 100 km or more .

i went out with mark around 2 weeks ago .

when he offer me a spot i asked how much $ to throw in ,for me this was to make sure i had enough $ .

now he has the cost of fuel for his car ,his place to the ramp and back .

cost of fuel for the boat + oil,rabybay to the rock and back .

he also got the bait .

so i was quite happy to chip in my $ ,its a cheap day out i reckon .

when i gave mark the $ i asked if it was enough as it was a little choppy ,this means more fuel used .

he was like nope its good .

i think what most guys ask u to chip in dose not really cover all the costs .

well that my little story /experiences.

oh i got more to add .

when my bro ,scott, etc ,come over here and we go middle of the river area its kewl ,i don't want fuel $ etc .

haven't worried about boat fuel/oil either as i used bugger all with the little motor .

even with the new boat and bigger motor its not much 25 liters of fuel /oil ,dose a whole day of stuffing around in the river .

its fuel for my car that cost me ,the old 4x4 uses about 40 $ to get me from home pinkenba ramp and back or tinny creek etc around the 80 km of driving .

if i'm all ready going and i ask them to come along i don't ask for fuel $ .

but if i'm not going and they hit me up to take them out then i spilt the cost of fuel by 2 or 3 people ,that's all i take out me and 1 or 2 more .

don't worry about bait ,ice etc .

it works it self out ,just like whose shout it is for beers .

most the time we just put 20 $ in each and that covers fuel ,bait and beers .

a good cheap day out :)

That's rotten, Mick. I hope that dude doesn't expect another deckie spot with you.

When I skipper I am happy with just a bag of pillies or a bag of ice. I bring extra food and water along too because it's amazing how many deckies only think about what fishing gear to bring but forget something to eat . I don't ask for fuel money as I would have been heading out any way. An offer to help clean down the boat is always welcomed but it doesn't take me long to do so I usually decline that too.

But when I deckie, I always offer to pay my own way even if I am not asked to. However, it can be awkward for a deckie. Like me, some skippers do things a certain way so sometimes it's better for a deckie just to stand back and watch unless the skipper asks for help as I've had gear wrecked by a deckie being "helpful". Communication and courtesy is the key to a good trip.

MIck,

That's just plain rotten mate.It probably reflects on that persons values in life also. It's not hard to have the courtesy to be appreciative of the opportunity a skip gives you when you deckie for them.Always offer or at the very least ask an amount. Two mates and I went out with Azza once had a rough idea what we would need to pay,took more cash along in case and at the end of the trip Azza let us know the price and we were happy to pay. I know at the end of the day it's a hell of a lot cheaper than a charter and even better than that is the fact that you don't have to stand elbow to elbow with the bloke next to you. If people don't want to offer to pitch in, then enjoy land based fishing because no one will have a deckie spot available for those sort of people.

That sucks big time Mick, I am going to get my boat and jet ski licence dec 12, and i would love to jump at the chance at being a decky, so i can learn more about how to drive a boat through different conditions, and im always more then willing to pay for my way, and as far as having no money, well i do carry limited cash on me, but i have plenty in the bank, so just a swipe of the card gets the pillies, ice, fuel, food, what ever is asked for.

Personaly i think you should name and shame the bad deckies

That sucks big time Mick, I am going to get my boat and jet ski licence dec 12, and i would love to jump at the chance at being a decky, so i can learn more about how to drive a boat through different conditions, and im always more then willing to pay for my way, and as far as having no money, well i do carry limited cash on me, but i have plenty in the bank, so just a swipe of the card gets the pillies, ice, fuel, food, what ever is asked for.

Personaly i think you should name and shame the bad deckies

not a bad idea robin i have thought about it for a bit now and decided that yes members on this site have the right to know . get it out in the open no more problem. i take no pleasure in doing this.:( :(

a bad deckie to have on your boat is a bloke whos site name is katfish sorry bud but i gave ya opportunity to come good and oppologise but na you are the man i thought you were.

good stuff mick, hopefully they'll read this thread and become better person for it.

i think a lot of non-boaters don't realise the cost and labour involved in maintenance. my recent decky (wont name him but see previous monduran thread) had to be confronted before apologising and even then had the nerve to justify their actions ( "sorry, but...." just doesn't cut it, that's no way to apologise). needless to say they won't find themselves welcome anymore.

don't stop that from giving out decky spots to those people, however if you've been ousted make a concerted effort to pay/offer appreciation for the privilege of being on someone's boat. if you've messed up, a simple and genuine apology shows what kind of person you are.

cheers

eug

just so i know, how much fuel does a boat chew up.

Depends on size of boat and motor.

I have a 16ft tinney with 50hp merc 4 stroke on it.

I used around 45 to 50 l at Monduran over 6 days of boating but mainly trolling for 6 to 8 hours a day so and also did not travel far .

4 strokes only use around 50% of the fuel of a 2 stroke.

Servicing costs need to be considered I am currently looking at $350 plus parts for my annual service.

At the other extreme my neighbour has a grady white with 2 X 150 hp yammy 4 strokes hanging off it and he is up for $4 to $500 to fill his tanks after a weekender out wide.

I do not ask for a fuel contribution as I am already going fishing and do not travel big distances in the boat.

I make a point of letting my decky know what he needs to bring along and also advise them of the style of fishing that I do.

I only expect 2 things.

Being punctual.

And a thankyou at end of day

If that doesnt happen no more invites.

Cheers

Ray

I expect the same things when i drive people , well i never expect fuel, but its nice to be offered, and your right, i hate late comers and a nice thankyou at the end of the trip is all i ever ask for, I guess its the same for a boat, except you have a few more things like bait, tackle, maybe more fuel, and more to clean up, but i would have thought it would have been common sence to offer to help with all of that.

llast five trips down the coast in the little tinnie 9.9 hp would not have even used 5 ltres how ever the nisssan uses about 20ltrs diesel hiway running tto get there.

offshore running the fuel consumption varies ,but on average yeah a few hundred dollers.on average probably 150 litresor $200 in premium unleaded for the boat and that would get us well wide off moreton island and on some pritty awsome grounds to fish and back to a ramp in the brissy area with fuel to sparenormally do around 200 km of traveling on the water but.down the goldie less fuel is used as the grounds are alot closer. somtimes lucky to use 20litres in the boat how ever the tow vehicle does use more fuel traveling there from where i live

then theres a deisel bill for the tow vehicle and that cost varies too depending on which ramp ya use comslie, fishos manly, goldie, mooloaba, noosa, town of 1770, gladstone so the fuel bill for the tow vehcle varies too between $30-$400 in diesel but ussually around 30 bucks using a ramp down the brissy way.

i dont ever ask dekies to go halves or thirds or 4ths in the total fuel bill all i want is 20, 30 ,40 bucks or what eva ya wana chip in iam happy with and a thanks goes a long way too and ill take ya to some good grounds either off the goldie or moreton

I work hard and play even harder do it while you still can B)

mick

llast five trips down the coast in the little tinnie 9.9 hp would not have even used 5 ltres how ever the nisssan uses about 20ltrs diesel hiway running tto get there.

offshore running the fuel consumption varies ,but on average yeah a few hundred dollers.on average probably 150 litresor $200 in premium unleaded for the boat and that would get us well wide off moreton island and on some pritty awsome grounds to fish and back to a ramp in the brissy area with fuel to sparenormally do around 200 km of traveling on the water but.down the goldie less fuel is used as the grounds are alot closer. somtimes lucky to use 20litres in the boat how ever the tow vehicle does use more fuel traveling there from where i live

then theres a deisel bill for the tow vehicle and that cost varies too depending on which ramp ya use comslie, fishos manly, goldie, mooloaba, noosa, town of 1770, gladstone so the fuel bill for the tow vehcle varies too between $30-$400 in diesel but ussually around 30 bucks using a ramp down the brissy way.

i dont ever ask dekies to go halves or thirds or 4ths in the total fuel bill all i want is 20, 30 ,40 bucks or what eva ya wana chip in iam happy with and a thanks goes a long way too and ill take ya to some good grounds either off the goldie or moreton

I work hard and play even harder do it while you still can B)

mick

Mate,

I would have no issue forking out that money as it's more than reasonable for what you get.You look at BK Charters at Goldie.Last time I went it was 80 bucks, you never stayed in same place for much time and had Alby Mangels all the time with the bloke standing shoulder length away.Not only that they were more concerned with losing tackle than catching fish.At least with being a deckie, you get a better experience in my opinion from being a deckie with a few people on site and you can have a bloody good time with those same people away from fishing too by making pretty good friends.All it takes is doing the right thing.

Crap , thats a lot of cash to be spent, now i know why charter trips are not cheap

aye :blink: .... thats cheap mate.

compared to running motor/motors that are a few years old most large hp engines run about one llitre every 1.5 km at around 30 km phr which is pritty slow .the new merc verado is paying for its self already.pritty much doubling those figures B);)

another way of llooking at it is 1 whole snapper in the fish shop old and not the best looking what 30 bucks for that 1 fish whole? pffftt maybe more.

5 decant snaps orr 3 decantt mackies the trips payed for its self $$ per kilo with fresh fish and if conditions let us fill the box on reef pickers then its def well worth it the way i look at it iam havin fun makin a bargain:woohoo: :lol:

Its good that a few of you guys had a bad decky, because if you did not, i honestly would not have known about the costing, I thought it might have been about $20 in fuel, so at least there is a good side to this, I at least now , and will be able to appreaciate being a decky more , if it comes up.

Also for a good day out fishing, im willing to pay $200 plus bait.

first things first. I would have responded sooner had I read the whole thread

I paid for the 2 bags of pillies & 2 bags of ice. I have the receipt in front of me. unless we both got charged for the same items.

when we got back to your place, I offered to give you money, at a later time, as when I withdrew money for b& i, at the servo, it said I had insufficient funds for fuel money. now sure, I should have told you strait away, I didn't have enough money in my account , but yes I was embarrassed about it. & Im not making any excuses

My bad,

what disappoints me most, is the fact that all you afoers who responded with all the hate, made an assumption based on one side of the story.

and finally. Mick, I dont know what motivated this attack. even when you came into the shop to replace your tcurve, I told you that I hadn't forgotten the dept.

& btw. Im very proud of the man I am.

Lets not allow this site to become a public court, this is between 2 people both known to many of us, there both big enough to sort this out themselves without this thread, I reckon the thread is a good one and should be re started again without the naming on the site persons not responsible. Word of mouth between mates is usually enough.

Lifes too short for this. :(