Advice to deckies spots

Gazza

If invited to a spot on a boat :)

That doe's not mean you have to be a slave well not in my eyes (share the duties to make for a good trip)

My latest experience left a very sour taste in my mouth :angry:

Watched as I poored x amount of fuel in the car to tow the boat to the destination then when decided to add some to the boat in case needed a comment thirsty was added inforemed that it had a big tank an was not needed but better to have more than less hands still in pocket I got an extra kg of squid still hands in pocket deckie bought 1 x 250 gr pack of frozen prawns with him :blink :blink:

ended up deckie had NO leader or tackle to suit sinkers etc and winged that I was catching fish and he was on the wrong side of the boat :woohoo:

The cream of the crop Not one Thank you or offer to pay for any of the trip and had the gall to say well maybe next time yeah right you have been on my boat for 2 trips the first and last :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

I'm not a charter never have claimed to be

but will work grounds to find fish

BUt No THANKS for a trip or effort to make it work SUC

I loook foraedd to our nex trip NOT you suk

Gaz

Whoah.

Hmmm....there are those that are happy to pay their way Gazza....sorry to hear that it might have gone a little sour.

I went out with Benno573 some time ago and gave him more money than just half the fuel, so he could get a new spark plug also for the boat.

Bait, I always bring some and extra is better than under..

Its very generous that deckie spots are offered at all, and I'd jump at a chance, as offered over the weekend, but was busy at the time the post went up.

:fishing:

if and when i get an invite to go deckie i will

be early instead of late

help prep the boat, even if it's the day before

sort out bait needed as skipper has boat hooked up

whatever costs are involved, it's half

be very careful of sinkers hitting the boat, a pet hate of mine!

help clean and sort out the boat afterwards and i mean clean, the boat gets gutted, everything washed and aired out

and last is a sincere thank you for the trip.

rob

FAIR comment man,everybody should offer to pay there way as i HAVE offered a spot as it turned out I played football(AFL) PROPER football :laugh: with him in bundy and hulk offered to pay with out asking SEE people thats how it's done.So gazza if you need a deckie I can pay my wayand live over the hill at RBP or I can recommend hulk (the little fat man) :P

Cheers Darren.

noname wrote:

be early instead of late

help clean and sort out the boat afterwards and i mean clean, the boat gets gutted, everything washed and aired out

rob

Yes but but what do you say when your decky suggests he help you clean up your boat. ROFL. If ROb evers offer to clean ya boat for you, never say no. It will be cleaner than brand new from the dealer. lol.

noname wrote:

be early instead of late

rob

yeah sorry bout mot cleaning the boat after the comp robbo :(

I can see where you are coming from Gaz.....

If I invite someone on my boat as a deckie, I dont expect then to pay for anything. I however expect them to be self sufficient in food, water, bait and tackle.

Pretty much I am of the opinion that I invite them to join me so its on my back, but some generous chat, offer to buy coffees while I fill the boat, sling $20 towards fuel will always ensure you are on the priority queue for another trip out.

this is just a guide, so don't shoot me!

in another club, if i'm deckie for the day and we go from manly say, in say a 625 cruisecraft explorer i'll chip in $80-$120 for fuel. keep in mind some boats will have 240 litres of fuel or more, and not a place to run out of fuel. and if traveling is involved, the amount should should be taken into consideration. this is an example of a trip offshore out the front here.

too be quite honest i would rather not go if i don't contrubute something.

Travis wrote:

noname wrote:

be early instead of late

rob

yeah sorry bout mot cleaning the boat after the comp robbo :(

normally takes a good day to clean it up, i don't expect it from anybody i take.

yeah alittle bit of thanks goes a long way, also maybe when taking on a deckie let them know before hand that you would like to go halves in the fuel bill etc. some skipps dont ask as they are heading out anyway with or with out a deckie so dont ask for fuel cash and some do. i think so this sorta thread doesnt reappear sometimes the skipper may have to be abit more blunt about things. e.g. i recently went deckie with benno on the weekend, we discussed splitting the fuel bill and also me and the other deckie brought lunch with to feed all of us. we had a ball and everyone was on the same line as to what was required for a awesome trip out. i think this is good specialy when taking some of the young guys out who are still @ school etc and may not have any coin. where when you advertise the deckie spot and say , looking to split bill bait cost etc everyones on the same line and embarassing situations like this are avoided. i know some are thinking this shouldnt be needed to be put down but hey its not a perfect world and people have diffrent idea's on whats right to do in these situations

You get that now and then Gaz try not to let it put it off offering deckie spots up, what I do is be up front about costs as a lot of guys dont know the cost of running a large boat off shore I found that a fuel sensor gives the guys a good indercation of fuel used and stops them feeling they are being touched when you tell them how much it costs to run to hucthies and back as people think that boats have the same economny as cars and are quite surprized when they see that you are burning 30 plus liters per hour.

FAIR comment man,everybody should offer to pay there way as i HAVE offered a spot as it turned out I played football(AFL) PROPER football with him in bundy and hulk offered to pay with out asking SEE people thats how it's done.So gazza if you need a deckie I can pay my wayand live over the hill at RBP or I can recommend hulk (the little fat man)

Cheers Darren.

FORGOT TO MENTION THATS BLOODY UNAUSTRALIAN

i don't think it's done on purpose, as most of the good deckies know what to expect, and those not to familiar with owning a boat know some of the costs involved, hence the question is put out there for deckies, to help in a small way with costs and a good chat or whatever the case may be, and a hand with the boat at the ramp.

and hopefully fill the ice box for a good feed, or to simply take photo's of fish caught!

when i was a boy and lived at home ,trips with dad was helping out etc .when i moved out if i got invited on a trip it was helping our and a offer to chip in some $.he always said no in the early days ,so would do something nice for him etc.i reckon its all good to split every thing between the guys.2 or 3 or 4 whatever it is.all helps and is good .running a boat is not cheap.and just giving a hand.

i haven't put my hand up for any decky spots offered recently as things are tight and i don't have the $.if i ask if there is decky spots going that means i got a few bucks or am going to work something out etc.

sad to hear u have sour taste in my mouth gazza.

hope u don't write off every1 just cause of 1 bad 1.

anyways it's common courtesy to chip in and give a hand,clean up etc.

Most times when plan a trip i'm going regardless of a deckie or not, but i'll let people know and if they want to come, great, someone to talk crap with all day and be a bit competitive with. I'll have enough food and bait for anyone coming and generally take more than enough rods and gear for a few people anyway, just in case!

If when we get home and the deckie gives some money, i'll instantly buy a carton that i will share with the deckie as we clean the boat and fish and then continue with the carton over a feed of the fish we caught together, with the deckie generally offering their bbq.

The majority of people i take out enjoy fishing but don't own a boat, or they would take their own. I take pride in trying to get them onto some fish because it's not something they can do as often as me (with my own boat). The only time i will ask for money is if someone else really wants to go but i don't, then i will get them to pay for fuel, while i still supply food, bait and the gear. The few times i've done this the deckie has done this and still slung me some cash. Maybe i've just fluked good deckies?

our plan is this..if there's three of ya it's a third of everything. for example if i'm the skipper i ask everyone what they like to use as bait. i then reckon on what we'll need and buy it..funny really as everyone usually uses what i like first then we go on the dregs :laugh: i'll fill the boat to the max then when we return we'll split what we've used. if we used $90 we split it 3 ways. the car i don't worry about as i'm going anyway. we share the pik duties and all the rest but cleaning the boat is something i usually do as we get back at odd hours..who wants to be cleaning a boat at 3am or after being out all weekend? i do appreciate some help getting the eskies off..cleaning the fish ect.. but and i guess this is the biggest but..if there's no offer of thanks it puts a dampener on the whole event. for mine being a deckie could be the way to making some new mates and getting on the water a few times. then when you get a rig of your own you have someone to help point you in the right direction. owning a boat looks great (and it is) but there's a bit more to it than throwing her in and yanking her out. i've had some stressful days with guys who just frig around all over the boat..spilling fish guts everywhere..sinker crashing into everything..then your wondering if they're gonna fall in and whilst your thinking of what they're doing your not thinking about fishing..which is what it's all about. and you feel guilty if the fish aren't biting..?

sounds like there's a fair concensus for putting up some expectations when you post deckie spots - sounds like a good way to do it.....ie:

'deckie spot, river mouth saturday 5am.....half and half in fuel, BYO food & drink, bait supplied' or whatever

shame you had such a crap experience mate. a thank you doesn't take much......

thousandyards wrote:

sounds like there's a fair concensus for putting up some expectations when you post deckie spots - sounds like a good way to do it.....ie:

'deckie spot, river mouth saturday 5am.....half and half in fuel, BYO food & drink, bait supplied' or whatever

shame you had such a crap experience mate. a thank you doesn't take much......

That's a good idea Thousandyards gets rid of any confusion

there is a difference...

"mate, i'm heading out, want to tag along?" don't expect anything... you were going anyway.

"heading out, looking for a crew to come along, costs shared". costs are shared.

mostly, my trips out in the bay are with people i have been out with before. they know the deal, fuel costs are shared. i get the boat ready, get the bait etc, they bring food for all. if they don't play the game the first trip, they'll struggle to get another ride in a hurry. kreel and tacklebox are awesome crew, sparksie is tops (eyes right) kriso, do$tylz, ellicat, jeff f... they all are happy to chip in and help out and look after the boat. as per the how much thread, it ain't cheap!

also, re tackle etc... not everyone you take out is an expert. they may need some guidance and assistance with gear. i have a mate who comes out with me often who is not that good at fishing but loves to learn so i am happy to impart knowledge and he has a great time. yeah ok, he bums a bit of tackle here and there, but what's $10 worth of tackle between mates?

Completely agree with you Gazza. Peopple like that are the scum of the earth. I exactly know the kind of tight arsed pieces of sh!t you are talking about. Used to have a few friends (no longer friends) like that in the past who are happy to make them selves scarce at the bowser and hope that you don't mention chipping in for anything. :angry:

I expect all of my crew go in equal including cleaning up. I spend a lot of time the day before prepping things and pre tying rigs for everyone and I am the one who ends up driving at sparrows farts while they are asleep in the car.

A typical trip for me is:

car towing fuel - $30

bait - $30

2 stroke oil - $20

boat fuel - $140

ice - $10

So $70 each between 3. If someone whinges about cost or questions it being correct its the last time they come out with me. I tell them to go buy their own boat, take the depreciation hit, pay 2 sets of rego, insurance, servicing, keeping safety gear up to date that go with it. Or tell them to pay $200 plus for a charter on a cattle truck full of drunken line tangling d!ckheads where they probably won't catch a thing. :angry:

If someone is struggling a bit financially or is a student or something I cut them some slack though. I think they should still be able to enjoy coming out for a fish. B)

To be fair to both sides of the fence I think that some new fishers have no idea of the real costs of a trip.

Being newbies they may be a little overawed with procedures in the boat and reluctant to display their ignorance but a few hints from the owner or a what can I do to help question from the guest goes a long way.

If a decky is a little green i try to help with rigging and procedures and also tell them what they need to bring along.

Most of my trips are short ones with negligible costs and I am going anyhow but I do appreciate a hand launching and stowing everything away on retrieval.

Cheers

Ray

good tip for the deckie to know the cost is to fill up to the top going out then coming back to top right up again. with cleaning up i like to fillet any fish we caught and i get the guys to wash the fillets in the brine and sort them into the freezer bags as they say many hands my light work.

for the sake of everyone on this site tho.....can we just agree to be specific when posting open invites for deckies?? if you've got people who you've been out with before and they know the score, just PM them.

otherwise...just let everyone know the deal - that way, no complaints later!!! although.....if you pump yourself up as a good fisho and captain and fail to deliver the goods.......well......that's another matter hahahahaha ;)

rayke1938 wrote:

To be fair to both sides of the fence I think that some new fishers have no idea of the real costs of a trip.

Being newbies they may be a little overawed with procedures in the boat and reluctant to display their ignorance but a few hints from the owner or a what can I do to help question from the guest goes a long way.

If a decky is a little green i try to help with rigging and procedures and also tell them what they need to bring along.

Most of my trips are short ones with negligible costs and I am going anyhow but I do appreciate a hand launching and stowing everything away on retrieval.

Cheers

Ray

This is a fair point. Most non-boaters have no idea of the costs of a trip. Also, totally agree on the giving a couple of hints, you should have seen kreel the first time I took him out, useless. With a few quick tips from me, he has progressed to slightly less useless! :P in all seriousness, no-one can get onto a boat from the first time and be an expert, skippers need to be patient as well as informative. Everyone has a good time this way!!!

This is a great post as it'll clear the air for a lot of people i reckon.

We only just got a new offshore boat and have only gone out twice. And twice now, i have been left to rinse everything down and clean it up...and chase up fuel money (and that it from family members!!!).

Now we make it pretty clear...come for a trip and chip in for fuel. Its too expensive for one person to take all the costs.

I don't get along with tight-arses at the best of times, let alone when i'm stuck on a boat with an unappreciative one! And i am by no means well-off!

A few tips though i reckon help in any case:

1. Be upfront from the get go, and list your expectations (ie. costs shared, byo gear, etc)

2. If they need to use your gear its a "replace if lost" policy (including sinkers!..those bastards are expensive!)

3. If they're not boat-savvy, let them know what 'exactly' you want them to do and how. And if they do something wrong, let them know (gently) so they dont continue doing it all day!

4. If i'm a deckie, i clear the air straightup...let em know what i'll pay (half/thirds/whatever), what gear i've got and need to borrow (if possible), and what my limitations are...ie, "never used one of these before?"

If i say, "let me know if i'm doing something you dont like, otherwise i wont realise" first thing, then we are usually right and we can get on with the good side of sharing the fishing spots!!!!

5. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU....it seems so simple but if its not said, your unlikely to return!

Anyways, thats my two cents worth. :)

From what started out as a complaint (and it sounds well founded) this has become a really useful source of information.

We were completely oblivious the first time we went out with Benno; did we really use that much fuel, did we really go through that much bait. The truth is we did (well maybe not the bait bit - Benno goes a bit nuts buying bait). We trusted Ben and we are lucky that he is one of the many good guys on the site.

The point is that the non-boaters know little about the expenses of a day on the water and this thread will go a long way to help inform us all. So thanks to Gazz for starting the thread and sorry to hear about your bad experience.

The up side is that we have our skipper well trained now, he mixes a fantastic gin and tonic, keeps my hook baited and takes all the icky fish of the hook for me - thanks Benno. :silly:

as i am going anyway i dont ask for anything and if they offer i tend to say dont worry about it but if they insist i tell them 20 or 30 dollars,but its also good if i pull into the servo and they say i will get the ice or any nibblies for the day,also i aways feel if i go with anyone else that i dont give enough money so i hope i do the right thing when out in someones boat.brad

Some valid comments have been made I think the non chipping in was just the icing on the cake what really pissed me off was the lack of gratitude :angry:

I mean is it that hard to say Thank you !! Surely you don't need to put that up as a pre requisite :)

Just for the record I caught a good feed of fish the Keepers: 3 red throat emperor ,2 tuskies, 1 yellow fin bream (which I gave to the deckie) also caught but released maori cod small sweetlip and a few I had no idea of what they were so it was a pretty good day :woohoo:

my deckie boated some fish but only managed 2 small sweet lip same rig/ bait etc thats fishing I spose :blink:

Cheers Gaz

I have to agree with Ray. I think a lot of people dont realise the costs.

Everyone expects different things as well.

I think the sensible thing is good communication so no one is left wondering whats expected.

Angus

Edit: But of course a sincere thank you is a must!!

i think it comes down to if you are all ready going fishing solo and throw it out there that there is a deckie spot available , then it should just state that a share in cost is required, i like to shout trips if i all ready have bait and fuel and after some company out fishing, and dont expect money if i was going any ways! as for a thanks that is appreciated if you have taken some one out no matter how good or bad the fishing was! it is respect to give appreciation!! i think all areas on this topic have been covered well!!