Advice to deckies spots

Gazza

Im not a boat owner but i dont see why deckies cant be a good decky contribute with the cleaning etc.

Do you wash your plate after eating off it yes?

Its just and everyday thing that you clean something after using but i know after some long trips on friends boats up in hervey bay its a struggle to do anything when you get back to base but thats when a beer comes in. If everyone pitchs in it doesnt take to long to get the boat cleaned and everything else done. With the fuel and bait it cant be that much of trouble if you go landbased fishing after buying bait or some more lures and nibblies and petrol for your car your getting up to the same amount as you would chip in to be on the boat plus your getting to some better fishing grounds and there was a good point i was reading before about catching a feed of fish and buying some fresh fish from a shop or supermarket would be alot more also you wouldnt like to be on a fishing charter and the deckie on there did nothing for you and you had to fend for yourself so guys take that into consideration.

On a side note im loving my job atm getting paid to be a deckie instead of paying to be a deckie. I have only just started being a deckie but over there years of going on different charters the charters i liked the most was the charters that had a good crew. Thats why when i deckie I'd prefer to stand there and bait there hook and take off every fish for them and cater to there needs instead of me standing next to them with my rod out not helping the customers

I am a boat owner and often take people out, guys from work, mates ect. Rather than giving people an itemised bill at the end of the trip why cant deckies just know if your going out on someones boat offer three things, a few bucks for fuel, a roast chook and bread rolls, and a hand to clean up (understanding if your going offshore it may cost more) but hey if you were going offshore anyway then whats the big deal. Lets just get back to common courtesy, like when people used to leave a tall beer in your pot if they pinched your crabs, now they just cut the floats off sometimes I doubt they even check the pots. Lets not become winging old farts and be grateful we have a boat and can show soeone who doesnt a good time. There are pleanty of good blokes on this website, and its your boat, so if you meet someone you dont like, dont take em again.. simple as that

I am a boat owner and often take people out, guys from work, mates ect. Rather than giving people an itemised bill at the end of the trip why cant deckies just know if your going out on someones boat offer three things, a few bucks for fuel, a roast chook and bread rolls, and a hand to clean up (understanding if your going offshore it may cost more) but hey if you were going offshore anyway then whats the big deal. Lets just get back to common courtesy, like when people used to leave a tall beer in your pot if they pinched your crabs, now they just cut the floats off sometimes I doubt they even check the pots. Lets not become winging old farts and be grateful we have a boat and can show soeone who doesnt a good time. There are pleanty of good blokes on this website, and its your boat, so if you meet someone you dont like, dont take em again.. simple as that

that was just a false conscience relief gesture for a thief

What's done is done just move on guys :)

Btw thanks denny haha! How good was the trip back from mud lol

^^^Mate we were luck to make it back from mud. I found out what's wrong with the motor, theres a short in the wiring against the top of the motor/ no.1 spark plug causing it too only run on one cylinder. Don't know how too fix it or what its gonna cost. But hopefully I can get it done before christmas, (although I doubt it) so we can go hit that drop off on a high tide.

• 2 years later...
  • 9 months later...

Gezz we went through a few boxes of tallies back then aye but the pots were allways full but I think we only left a bottle in every second pot :P

• 3 years later...

I just work on what you pay for or you bring determines if you get an invite on the next trip I guess its like paying it forward. A mate of mine tows his camper trailer whilst I tow the boat and our passengers pay for fuel and food, any one who shot changes us only gets one trip, and goes on our **** list. I don't let anyone clean my boat I'm VERY particular on how its done so I am not bothered about that and so is my mate with his camper. Its when the deckies bring a bag of chips and half a carton of beer, for a weekend, grinds my gears. 

Pay your way to get your next trip

17 hours ago, Joe Devereux said:

I just work on what you pay for or you bring determines if you get an invite on the next trip I guess its like paying it forward. A mate of mine tows his camper trailer whilst I tow the boat and our passengers pay for fuel and food, any one who shot changes us only gets one trip, and goes on our **** list. I don't let anyone clean my boat I'm VERY particular on how its done so I am not bothered about that and so is my mate with his camper. Its when the deckies bring a bag of chips and half a carton of beer, for a weekend, grinds my gears. 

Pay your way to get your next trip

As long as its made clear to the decky what they need to provide, then yeah I agree

12 hours ago, Cmaltby said:

If you are taking someone who doesnt have a boat youre doing a kind deed. Dont make an offer to take someone fishing because you want to cut your trip costs or bought a boat you cant afford to take out:4_joy:, take someone fishing because you want to take someone fishing, give someone an experience they wouldnt get otherwise. If you are a good host im sure offers for compensation or labour will come and if not eh you were going anyway and you done a good deed.

Well said..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Over the years I have had many good deckys, one who will never be invited again. 

He asked me to take him, claimed to be a gun fisherman. Our 4 o'clock start turned into 6 o'clock, didn't have any gear, so got some at a servo. Got the most expensive stuff on the display. When I went to pay for fuel, he told the chick I would get the bill, and he also got a burger. Ouch. Insisted on using my $800 reel, bird nesting to the point of cutting of most of the line. Did manage to get a couple of snapper.. 

Got home about 6 o'clock that night, and while I was cleaning the boat, he started cleaning the fish. Turns out, he cleaned all the best fish, "his share"? And left me the uncleaned rock cod, hering and wrasse, and $20. As he claimed to be a good decky with plenty of invites, I expected him to have a good idea what a 140 hp yammy would cost to run for 10 hrs, the $20 would not cover the tackle and breakfast he got, and he kept the tackle. 

Needless to say I was always too busy to take him again. After talking to other boat owners, turns out he was well known for his stunts. 

One bad one out of the number I have taken out is fairly good odds I reckon. 

Just now, Marris said:

Over the years I have had many good deckys, one who will never be invited again. 

He asked me to take him, claimed to be a gun fisherman. Our 4 o'clock start turned into 6 o'clock, didn't have any gear, so got some at a servo. Got the most expensive stuff on the display. When I went to pay for fuel, he told the chick I would get the bill, and he also got a burger. Ouch. Insisted on using my $800 reel, bird nesting to the point of cutting of most of the line. Did manage to get a couple of snapper.. 

Got home about 6 o'clock that night, and while I was cleaning the boat, he started cleaning the fish. Turns out, he cleaned all the best fish, "his share"? And left me the uncleaned rock cod, hering and wrasse, and $20. As he claimed to be a good decky with plenty of invites, I expected him to have a good idea what a 140 hp yammy would cost to run for 10 hrs, the $20 would not cover the tackle and breakfast he got, and he kept the tackle. 

Needless to say I was always too busy to take him again. After talking to other boat owners, turns out he was well known for his stunts. 

I am surprised you brought him back in with you Marris!

On 04/12/2018 at 11:41 AM, Marris said:

Thats nasty. I hope it is not the usual case. 

14 hours ago, Marris said:

Yes, as I had travelled 200k, I stuck it out. Will admit I was fairly silent most of the time. However as stated, I have had many good deckies, glad I haven't based judgement on one bad experience. 

Couple of years back I took a friend of a friend out fishing to do the guy a favour ,as he had lost his job and supposedly loved his fishing, and because he had lost his job supposedly had to sell his boat, his wife dropped him down to Spinnaker Sound Marina and just like your mate, he didn't bring any gear claiming his wife wouldn't let him put his fishing gear in her car, alarm bells should have rung then I suppose, but hey I am a nice fella so shrugged it off and said I have a spare rod an gear you can use no problem, cut a long story short the guy had no idea about fishing, none whatsoever , he bitched about how hot it was, lack of fish action, gear he was using was no good, and reckons it would be more fun sitting in a cafe drinking lattes, I had had enough of the prick after 2 hours so pulled up the pick and headed back to the ramp, when we got there I said, do me a favour and hop out and hang on to the boat for me, which he did, I threw it in reverse and left him standing there, he said what are you doing, I said I am going to pump some yabbies and fish the run in, you can't leave me here he said, my wife is working and cant pick me up until she finishes work, no problems I said, there is a bait shop/cafe 200mtrs over there , you can kill time enjoying a latte and annoy the crap out of them, and off I went, the rest of day was very pleasant and caught a few whiting to yop it off.

1 hour ago, MSB said:

Couple of years back I took a friend of a friend out fishing to do the guy a favour ,as he had lost his job and supposedly loved his fishing, and because he had lost his job supposedly had to sell his boat, his wife dropped him down to Spinnaker Sound Marina and just like your mate, he didn't bring any gear claiming his wife wouldn't let him put his fishing gear in her car, alarm bells should have rung then I suppose, but hey I am a nice fella so shrugged it off and said I have a spare rod an gear you can use no problem, cut a long story short the guy had no idea about fishing, none whatsoever , he bitched about how hot it was, lack of fish action, gear he was using was no good, and reckons it would be more fun sitting in a cafe drinking lattes, I had had enough of the prick after 2 hours so pulled up the pick and headed back to the ramp, when we got there I said, do me a favour and hop out and hang on to the boat for me, which he did, I threw it in reverse and left him standing there, he said what are you doing, I said I am going to pump some yabbies and fish the run in, you can't leave me here he said, my wife is working and cant pick me up until she finishes work, no problems I said, there is a bait shop/cafe 200mtrs over there , you can kill time enjoying a latte and annoy the crap out of them, and off I went, the rest of day was very pleasant and caught a few whiting to yop it off.

I actually "LOL'ed" in the office reading that.  Nice move skipper, d!ck move decky... and you got called out on it. Hope it was a cold and crappy latte to boot. 😂

3 hours ago, MSB said:

Brilliant. 

3 hours ago, MSB said:

Did you happen to see them extending the reef on Tuesday?

They have put it off for a few days due to the weather but they did get some in. 

20 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

Did you happen to see them extending the reef on Tuesday?

They have put it off for a few days due to the weather but they did get some in. 

Hi Drop Bear

No mate I didn't , blew its arse out up my way so spent the day in the garden

22 hours ago, benno573 said:

I actually "LOL'ed" in the office reading that.  Nice move skipper, d!ck move decky... and you got called out on it. Hope it was a cold and crappy latte to boot. 😂

Thanks Benno, I will take anyone out for a fish even if they are useless, just don't complain and moan and ***** and all is good

14 hours ago, MSB said:

Thanks Benno, I will take anyone out for a fish even if they are useless 

@Old Scaley - you reading this? Who wants to go first, you or me .............. 🙂 

@MSB I too had a good little chuckle reading your recount of your deckie encounter - well done for dealing with him the way he deserved to be dealt with as fishing is mean to be enjoyed, not something you grit your teeth and endure.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Yeah that sucks I would have taken to him with the thong. Decent sized boats are not cheap to run or tow. All I ask when I invite someone is not to do drugs or bring drugs on my tinnie. Don't mind if they have a few beers or rums but I don't want to come in early just because their foaming at the mouth if that happens again I will give them a swimming lesson and go to a different spot

• 2 months later...