53cm bass today

Dinodadog

Wallyfly and I went for a walk out at the dam this morning, my 1st cast with an atomic hardz was hit throwing water nearly a metre in the air it was a sight to see, only problem it never hooked up. That was it until we were at bullockies where Wallyfly using 6ft eucalyptus rod no reel and no line managed to land a 53cm bass. I popped off a couple of pics before it was retuned to the water.

Fish while you can

Dinodadog [img size=448]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/dead_001.JPG

chris_stewart14 wrote:

kreel wrote:
Lovely fish Dino. I too am a little confused:

"6ft eucalyptus rod no reel and no line"

What did you do, spear it? If so, teach me the technique it'll save me heaps on tackle.

Im guessing this means he poked it with a gum tree branch.

was he actually fishing for koala's and caught the bass as a bi-catch? :laugh: :laugh:

We actualy noticed it near the shore as we were driving out, I would say it was the victim of a poor release, Wallyfly grabbed a gum tree branch and pulled it ashore and I got a couple of pics. It was on the nose,funny as it was the only sniff of a fish we got all morning.

wesfish wrote:

chris_stewart14 wrote:
kreel wrote:
Lovely fish Dino. I too am a little confused:

"6ft eucalyptus rod no reel and no line"

What did you do, spear it? If so, teach me the technique it'll save me heaps on tackle.

Im guessing this means he poked it with a gum tree branch.

was he actually fishing for koala's and caught the bass as a bi-catch? :laugh: :laugh:

They're an endangered species now... :laugh:

Hey Dino and Wallfly, have you noticed that when you do come across the occasional dead bass out there they seem to be a good size fish. I'm guessing old fish that don't recover very well after release.

That fish could very well be close to fifteen years old and just given up the puff after it's rumble with the angler.

I came across one a few weeks ago near one of our old spots and it was honestly the biggest bass I've seen. I started to smell it way before I came across it.

You release a thirty cm bass and they take off like a bullet...whereas the big girls take their time and usually head for the nearest cover to sit a spell.

Useless information but just something I've noticed.

Archived