gecko as live bait

jackman60

i was just thinking the other night that if a live gecko as live bait :laugh: would work for bass because they use plastics of liizards and lizards are one of there staple diets.

it would be a goood bait because there are so many and they are pests and you could get some great bass action on them if they worked

;) chaz

The main problem I see is, yes geckos are pests but only one species is regarded as a pest.

Do you know which one ? I'd hate to see a little native gecko squirming on a hook.

I have two species of geckos living in my house...one is an introduced species from Asia,

they have little spikes on the tails, the others are native smooth geckos.

Best off sticking with creature plastics I reckon.

If only I could teach my cat to just eat the asian ones.

Little Grey Men wrote:

The main problem I see is, yes geckos are pests but only one species is regarded as a pest.

Do you know which one ? I'd hate to see a little native gecko squirming on a hook.

I have two species of geckos living in my house...one is an introduced species from Asia,

they have little spikes on the tails, the others are native smooth geckos.

Best off sticking with creature plastics I reckon.

If only I could teach my cat to just eat the asian ones.

never knew the difference, i have a huge smooth one that has been in the house for about 5 years, it lives behind a picture on the wall and ventures to the toilet every night to get a feed of moths from the light that is all ways on :laugh: i think the kids would kill me if i used it as bait :laugh: i think you would be better off using large moths or cicadas or shrimp for bass!

from what i have been told and looking at the ones at my house, the aussie ones are a dark brown colour and the asian style are a lighter beige colour, heaps of the asian ones around but the aussies ones are a bit scarce, also watch they dont get into the air con or tv's they crap in there and it kills electrics like no tomorrow.

I found one of those big knob tailed ones at work a few weeks back clinging to a pallet.

Very cool looking critter.

Hey Tugger, I think your right about only using the introduced ones but the point I was trying to make was be careful and don't go using native lizards for bait....nothing to do with not hurting poor little lizards. The introduced species do enough damage to the native population without us helping as well. These asian geckos do actually clash with our native frogs, a lot live in gardens and compete for food.

Just like introduced fish, introduced animals of all types cause heaps of harm.

It's a shame bass don't go for cane toads, or rabbits, or carp or backpackers !!!

Dinodadog wrote:

I run out of grass hoppers creek fishing years ago and put a huntsman spider on and got the biggest bass for the morning

I remember that big green grasshopper we saw on the ceiling at the PRFMA meeting Dino. While the meeting was in progress Dino leans over and says " Bass love them "

Bass on the brain mate. :laugh:

Re using animals as live bait. We used to do this for years out on the Condamine. The gun bait for yellas was the small grey and brown frogs you'd find under the logs by the river bank. This was close to thirty years ago and since then I've come to realise that these little things are protected.

Hey Jackman, part of fishing is always thinking about what the target species will go for in their natural environment, keep on thinking and trying to suss these fish out mate.

Little Grey Men wrote:

Dinodadog wrote:
I run out of grass hoppers creek fishing years ago and put a huntsman spider on and got the biggest bass for the morning

I remember that big green grasshopper we saw on the ceiling at the PRFMA meeting Dino. While the meeting was in progress Dino leans over and says " Bass love them "

Bass on the brain mate. :laugh:

Re using animals as live bait. We used to do this for years out on the Condamine. The gun bait for yellas was the small grey and brown frogs you'd find under the logs by the river bank. This was close to thirty years ago and since then I've come to realise that these little things are protected.

Hey Jackman, part of fishing is always thinking about what the target species will go for in their natural environment, keep on thinking and trying to suss these fish out mate.

They need some screen doors in that joint.. Felt like I was in an Alfred Hitchcock movie the night when we had to go up to collect our permits.

I have caught silver perch on dragon flies before so I think all insects, bugs and creepy crawlies would work.

A very BIG hint get caught using frogs and as cobbie a fisheries officer mate of mine says you will be wearing the crown jewels for a neck lace :angry: so just a word of warning it pays it check what you can and can't use for live bait in fresh water

Archived